Adding a Dac

Bigfishhk

Adding a Dac
« on: 18 Mar 2012, 07:17 pm »
Will adding an external DAC make a large or subtle difference in soundstage, detail etc?
I have read good things about the eastern electric Dac mini max plus, and I like the fact I get a tube element in my system if I want to (though seems like many users end up changing the stock tubes, which I don't relish).
If its a significant upgrade, I would consider a Dac up to around $1000.

My equipment currently-
NAD C545bee cd player (which uses wolfson 24bit,192khz Dac)
Krell kav 400xi integrated amp
Salk song towers
Rythmik f12 sub

I listen to rock, jazz, blues, electronica, folk, classical ie most things!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Tom

TJHUB

Re: Adding a Dac
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2012, 08:38 pm »
A DAC can do a lot for a system.  I have no idea how your CD will compare to a DAC, however, a DAC like the EE Plus can give you an incredible amount of options.  I personally think the EE Plus DAC is a great way to introduce tubes into your system while still having the option to go solid state. 

Don't be afraid of tube rolling with the EE Plus DAC.  I know of several tubes for around $50 that perform MUCH better than the stock tube.  The good thing is that it's also just a single tube which makes things much easier and cheaper.  The thing you should fear is a digital IC.  The right cable can have a very significant affect on the sound.   

Bigfishhk

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2012, 12:38 am »
Someone near me selling a two month old EE PLUS. Went and auditioned. Sounded great in A/b test on his system so I got it. (hooked up my cd player to his amp, and heard with and without the Dac. External Dac won out every time on his system.

So yeah, pls advise re tube and cable. I have it connected by an optical cable. Is that ok?
Tube , I will give it some time, but defintely wil try another one in due course.
Thanks
Tom

Bigfishhk

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2012, 01:22 am »
Also do I keep the phase button pressed, light on, or off?
Thanks

avta

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2012, 02:08 am »
The current issue of Stereophile ( April 2012 ) has their most recent list of Recommended Components. There's a section on DAC's you might find interesting.

yetis

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2012, 05:07 pm »
I would think that it would expand your world.  For the first part, it will allow you to potentially stream music.  Adding a DAC to some units will be subjective, based on the player it replaces and what the DAC is feeding the analog signal into?  I found moving to a fully balanced system made a huge difference in the past.  It looks like the NAD doesn't have a balanced digital out.  Which brings us to the next point, which is a slippery slope.  Does the DAC highlight the shortcomings of other equipment??  Being as we are on a Salk board, lets assume the speakers are not it!

Bigfishhk

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2012, 05:57 pm »
even on very early experience w/ EE  DAC, which has had about 20 hrs of use, I find a very good impact in my system. Everything is sounding more open.
I think it can only get better as tubes burn in, so I,m excited about the choice. the optical cable seems to be fine though I have nothing to compare it to. it's a wireworld supernova 6 glass optical cable.
TOm

TJHUB

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2012, 07:29 pm »
even on very early experience w/ EE  DAC, which has had about 20 hrs of use, I find a very good impact in my system. Everything is sounding more open.
I think it can only get better as tubes burn in, so I,m excited about the choice. the optical cable seems to be fine though I have nothing to compare it to. it's a wireworld supernova 6 glass optical cable.
TOm

The absolute phase button is very controversial.  I would leave it so the LED is green, and don't put any more thought into it. 

I have read all kinds of negative comments about using Toslink cables, but I found that a good quality, glass cable like you have sounds great.  I have done many comparisons with my last DAC, and felt that it took a very pricey coax cable to beat out my glass Toslink.  However, I now run a Black Cat Veloce and I'm also auditioning a Black Cat SilverStar 75.  I've never actually tried a Toslink cable on my EE Plus DAC.

Glad the DAC is working out for you.  I think it's one of the best at its price point.  What tube are you running?

Bigfishhk

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2012, 01:02 am »
stock tube at the moment which I'm breaking in. at some point I will try alternatives since everyone seems to think that's the way to go, or to take out the tube and run SS. (I'm inclined to want to keep tube option open though)
tom

fsimms

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:07 pm »
The absolute phase button is very controversial. I would leave it so the LED is green, and don't put any more thought into it.

In general I would agree with you.  I have mentioned that the phase button is important with the SoundScapes and the Philharmonics.  I don’t think anybody yet believes me though.  I don’t think I have had anybody try it because they “know” that I am full of it won’t even try it. Take any of the vocal songs on Jim’s SoundScape demo disk and reverse the phase.  The singer will move a couple of feet forward or backward.  The SoundScapes can sound reticent or a bit forward depending on the phase.

This only works with SoundScapes and Philharmonics.  I “know” it won’t work with other speakers so don't bother to even try it!  :lol:

Bob

TJHUB

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2012, 09:45 pm »
In general I would agree with you.  I have mentioned that the phase button is important with the SoundScapes and the Philharmonics.  I don’t think anybody yet believes me though.  I don’t think I have had anybody try it because they “know” that I am full of it won’t even try it. Take any of the vocal songs on Jim’s SoundScape demo disk and reverse the phase.  The singer will move a couple of feet forward or backward.  The SoundScapes can sound reticent or a bit forward depending on the phase.

This only works with SoundScapes and Philharmonics.  I “know” it won’t work with other speakers so don't bother to even try it!  :lol:

Bob

Bob,

The argument about absolute phase lies in the fact that there are many components out there that invert absolute phase, and even far more recording that invert absolute phase in all or parts of the intrumentation and vocals.  As such, what is "right?"  Then, there is the question as to whether you can actually hear it. 

I have a set of DVD's from Jim Smith called "Get Better Sound."  I think these DVD's are priceless.  Everyone should at least see them once.  Anyway, Jim talks about absolute phase in one of the DVD's.  He uses the vocal method you mention.  I did this, and I could easily hear the vocals move forward and back while having someone switch the phase button on my DAC.  I left it where Jim recommends; where the vocals sound closer.  In all honesty, the sound isn't all that different, and I think anyone could find either setting to be just fine.  I wouldn't want to try this having to swap speaker leads, but having an absolute phase button makes it much easier to hear. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:07 pm »
Will adding an external DAC make a large or subtle difference in soundstage, detail etc?
I have read good things about the eastern electric Dac mini max plus, and I like the fact I get a tube element in my system if I want to (though seems like many users end up changing the stock tubes, which I don't relish).
If its a significant upgrade, I would consider a Dac up to around $1000.

My equipment currently-
NAD C545bee cd player (which uses wolfson 24bit,192khz Dac)
Krell kav 400xi integrated amp
Salk song towers
Rythmik f12 sub

I listen to rock, jazz, blues, electronica, folk, classical ie most things!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Tom

I can not see from your gallary, but I think that a thousand dollars would be better spent in room treatment over a new DAC.

I do not know if you can apply treatments in your situation, but if you can, I would spent a thousand there and see more results.

EDIT: Didn't reallize you already got a DAC. I would still consider treatments down the road when tasekd with a budget for improvement.

Good luck and happy listening.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:47 pm »
Agree room treatments would be great, hbut my living room is not very amenable to it.

Having said that th eDac has been really good and it will allow me to input hi rez and music streamer down the line too.
Thanks
Tom

fsimms

« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2012, 12:12 am »
Bob,

The argument about absolute phase lies in the fact that there are many components out there that invert absolute phase, and even far more recording that invert absolute phase in all or parts of the intrumentation and vocals.  As such, what is "right?"  Then, there is the question as to whether you can actually hear it. 

I have a set of DVD's from Jim Smith called "Get Better Sound."  I think these DVD's are priceless.  Everyone should at least see them once.  Anyway, Jim talks about absolute phase in one of the DVD's.  He uses the vocal method you mention.  I did this, and I could easily hear the vocals move forward and back while having someone switch the phase button on my DAC.  I left it where Jim recommends; where the vocals sound closer.  In all honesty, the sound isn't all that different, and I think anyone could find either setting to be just fine.  I wouldn't want to try this having to swap speaker leads, but having an absolute phase button makes it much easier to hear. 

TJHUB,

Looking at your gallery, it looks like you don’t own SoundScapes.  If that is true, than I am shocked that you could hear any change!

Since Jim Smith doesn’t have SoundScapes either, I am puzzled.  :scratch:

Bob

TJHUB

« Reply #14 on: 21 Mar 2012, 12:16 am »

TJHUB,

Looking at your gallery, it looks like you don’t own SoundScapes.  If that is true, than I am shocked that you could hear any change!

Since Jim Smith doesn’t have SoundScapes either, I am puzzled.  :scratch:

Bob

Who knows?  Go figure... :wink:

Bigfishhk

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm »
Tjhub
Could you reeommend me the tube you are preferring with the EE dac and also where to buy it, one preferably?
Thanks
Tom