Integrated amp or Receiver suggestions bedroom system?

Saturn94

I’m thinking of setting up a basic system in the bedroom (about 14x20x8) and need some suggestions for a budget, under $400 preferably, integrated amp or receiver.

The speakers I’ll be using are Soundfield Audio Monitor 1.  They use a passive KEF coax for mids and treble.  Under 200hz each speaker uses a powered 8” driver (300 watt built in plate amp in each speaker).  Sensitivity is rated 86db.  Impedance is rated either 6 or 8 ohms (I don’t remember which).  Since whatever I get will just be driving the mid/tweeter coax, I’m thinking I don’t need a ton of power, correct?

The source will be a Logitech Touch, so something with digital inputs would be nice, though the Touch does have analog outputs (maybe good enough?).

Suggestions?  Thanks. :D

Saturn94

Doublej

Re: Integrated amp or Receiver suggestions bedroom system?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2020, 01:08 am »
That's the genre. As interested there are competing products from Onkyo, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Cambridge Audio, NAD. Some of these brands have old school 2 channel receivers as well.

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2020, 01:23 am »
That's the genre. As interested there are competing products from Onkyo, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Cambridge Audio, NAD. Some of these brands have old school 2 channel receivers as well.

Anything particular you would recommend?

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2020, 02:36 am »
I haven't had too much experience with average brands but others here have said the Sony's sound good. So I found a Sony STR840P receiver in the local thrift shop, hooked it up and it sounds surprisingly good! Nothing about it makes me say ouch when listening at reasonable levels.
I've read in other forums that Yamaha's are but that recent Denon's aren't reliable.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2020, 02:45 am »
I haven't had too much experience with average brands but others here have said the Sony's sound good. So I found a Sony STR840P receiver in the local thrift shop, hooked it up and it sounds surprisingly good! Nothing about it makes me say ouch when listening at reasonable levels.
I've read in other forums that Yamaha's are but that recent Denon's aren't reliable.

Thanks for the info. :)  Perhaps I should check out the local thrift shops as well.

Any thoughts on Onkyo?  This looks interesting (apparently Roon compatible)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TX8260/Onkyo-TX-8260.html

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2020, 03:01 am »
Buy them both and return the one that you don't want! (They have $10 return policy right?) I'm really interested in that Yammy.

A_shah

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2020, 03:19 am »
How about PS audio sprout 1
https://www.psaudio.com › sprout100

I just use AudioengineUSA powered speakers  HD6 with my bedroom TV and to listen to music using iphone or my home office computer using bluetooth 

Asghar

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2020, 04:02 am »
Buy them both and return the one that you don't want! (They have $10 return policy right?) I'm really interested in that Yammy.

I’m leaning towards to Yammy.  I really only need something simple (less to go wrong) and from what I’m reading Yamaha seems more reliable than Onkyo.

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2020, 04:04 am »
How about PS audio sprout 1
https://www.psaudio.com › sprout100

I just use AudioengineUSA powered speakers  HD6 with my bedroom TV and to listen to music using iphone or my home office computer using bluetooth 

Asghar

That’s a nice looking unit.  $200 over budget though....ouch!

Doublej

« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2020, 02:45 pm by Doublej »

Stercom

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2020, 01:45 pm »
I agree with your leaning towards Yamaha. Their network receivers are excellent. Great streaming features and sound.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN303/Yamaha-R-N303.html?tp=47041

witchdoctor

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2020, 03:23 am »
Looks like I have several options.  :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2020, 03:28 am »
I was looking through a closet with a bunch of audio stuff from years past (tons of cables, wires, some old equipment) and found a Yamaha amplifier I forgot about!  :thumb:

It’s a Yamaha M-35 that I bought in the late 80s (I even have the receipt and manual...lol).  It can be run in 2 channel or 4 channel mode.  In 2 channel mode it’s 40wpc.

I did a quick test and it seems to be working.  It was late, so I only played it for a few minutes and didn’t turn it up.  I’ll do a more thorough test tomorrow.

I was also pleased to learn that using my Logitech Squeezebox Touch as a Roon endpoint, I can control volume via the Roon control app, so I don’t really need a preamp.

Now I know why I hang onto old audio stuff.  :thumb:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2020, 01:21 pm »
I’m thinking of setting up a basic system in the bedroom (about 14x20x8) and need some suggestions for a budget, under $400 preferably, integrated amp or receiver.
The speakers I’ll be using are Soundfield Audio Monitor 1.  They use a passive KEF coax for mids and treble.  Under 200hz each speaker uses a powered 8” driver (300 watt built in plate amp in each speaker).  Sensitivity is rated 86db.  Impedance is rated either 6 or 8 ohms
Impedance is 6ohms avg, doesn't drop below 4, minimum phase angles, so just about any non-pathological amp will drive them.
Especially a free Yamaha M35  :wink:
Yamaha makes solid, reliable amps. Enjoy.

cheers,

AJ

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2020, 02:11 pm »
From the net it seems if run in two channel mode it's rated for 70 wpc.  Maybe more capable than you thought.  The two people posting on Audioreview.com had very positive things to say.

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2020, 05:21 pm »
Impedance is 6ohms avg, doesn't drop below 4, minimum phase angles, so just about any non-pathological amp will drive them.
Especially a free Yamaha M35  :wink:
Yamaha makes solid, reliable amps. Enjoy.

cheers,

AJ

Thanks AJ.  :D

Saturn94

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2020, 05:22 pm »
From the net it seems if run in two channel mode it's rated for 70 wpc.  Maybe more capable than you thought.  The two people posting on Audioreview.com had very positive things to say.

Sweet! :D

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2020, 03:27 am »
The old amp seems to be working pretty well.  :thumb: