Late 80s versus now

wilsynet

Late 80s versus now
« on: 9 May 2012, 06:29 pm »
I once had a 1988 BMW 325i.  Great car.  It was years ago and certainly before I got into audio, but I remember that it sounded great.  It had a tape deck and premium speakers, and at the time I thought it was the best factory installed stereo I ever heard in a car.

Today I have a 2011 BMW 135i.  And I think the stereo sounds like crap.

Could it be that a BMW from 1988 really does sound markedly better than one today?  Is it me or is it the car?

fredgarvin

Re: Late 80s versus now
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2012, 06:38 pm »
Interesting, I'd bet the average home stereo system sounds like crap compared to the 80's. It's more about quick access than sound quality these days.

Mr Peabody

Re: Late 80s versus now
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2012, 03:53 am »
I think it depends on the manufacturer, I believe today there are better factory systems than in the 80's.  My friend has a Mazda and the system is weak, I would have gotten rid of it immediately while another friend has some type of Chrysler wagon that has one of the best factory systems I've ever heard, the same for a 2012 Durango, the tweeters are incredible, smooth and clear, the bass sounds tight and powerful.  Kia uses Infinity systems with subs.  Lincoln used to have good sounding JBL systems.  You are seeing more features like USB ports and such.  For the most part I think manufacturers tend to offer a decent system and most have some type of upgrade audio package.