New Super V owner

Shakeydeal

New Super V owner
« on: 16 Jan 2017, 10:47 am »
I just picked up the beautiful pair of Super Vs that were on the trading post from member LTcase. Thanks to him for meeting me half way with the speakers and an easy transaction. And Danny was helpful with answering some questions last week as well.

I am having a little difficulty getting the bass dialed in. Overall I love the way the speakers sound. I have been very enamoured with the sound of my Reference 3A Grand Veenas, but I think these are going to be a substantial improvement.

I can get the bass to sound fabulous on a few recordings, and then I play something else and it's just not right. I have set up subs in the past and I know it can be frustrating, but the pay off is big when dialed in. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I can give you one example of two recordings that were driving me crazy last night. The kick drum on The Bad Plus "Give" is huge and goes plenty deep. It sounds great on the GV. When I dial the xover to get this to sound just right, most other recordings now sound flat and hollow, for example Tab Benoits "Medicine" now sounds puny.

Any and all comments are welcome. Here is a quick snap of them in my room. I have since toed them out a little because they seemed a bit too much when fired directly at the seating position.

Wind Chaser

Re: New Super V owner
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2017, 03:36 pm »
Have you tried inverting the phase?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2017, 04:12 pm »
Yes, it sounds best at 180.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2017, 11:43 pm »
 HAL posted this some time ago , I believe  these were the setting she was usng with his Super v's

should get you going
jay

Shakeydeal

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2017, 11:54 pm »
Thanks, I think I found the problem tonight. One of the speaker leads had backed out while moving the speakers around last night. It was barely in far enough to pass a signal, but greatly changed the tonal balance.

Shakey