Dealers..I try but cannot ...

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Dealers..I try but cannot ...
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jun 2010, 10:28 am »
A dealer has to guarantee their merchandise. Guarantees are valuable and therefore raise prices justifiably. There are several other factors as well that go into a price.

MaxCast

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jun 2010, 10:39 am »
If anyone of us would have bought that amp and two weeks later decided we didn't like it and wanted to sell it...what price would you put on it?  The same price you paid or a market price?

I like this one.
For example...I bought shares of Apple some years ago for $88.00 per share....and then I sold them, (somebody bought them from me), for $147.00 per share.

Should I feel guilty? :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:07 pm »
It's really sad that this thread is still going because people can't get over that someone purchased an item and re-sold it.  No different on anything (house, classic car....) and made a few bucks.  The one of many advantages of the U.S.A.   :notworthy:

Get over it!!!

So make sure that you sell your house for what you paid or loose money because you are stealing.   :lol:  What a joke!!!

Bigfish

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:10 pm »
I have heard several stories of folks going to yard sales and finding pristine tube gear priced extremely low (Yard sale junk, get rid of it prices).  These folks, of course, purchase the tube gear and take it home to use or resell.  I personally do not see anything wrong, the seller got what they were asking and the buyer recognized and jumped on a good deal. 

This thread is all about how America works!  Buy low and hope to sell for a profit.  In this particular situation the Dealer purchased an amp that he believed he could sell for a profit.  He invested some of his capital and it will remain tied-up in his inventory until the right buyer comes along.  I just don't see where the buyer who turned-out to be a dealer did anything wrong.  There is no one wronged in this transaction.  The seller got their asking price.  The buyer (dealer) purchased a good value and recognized the potential opportunity to make a profit.  The person that buys the amp from the dealer will take it home and be happy. 

Suppose you or I had purchased the amp, took it home and did not like the synergy with the rest of our system.  I personally and would wager that most of us would list the amp here and on Audiogon for a price close to its market price.  While some have a problem admitting it we are all capitalists when comes to money!

Ken

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:13 pm »
I live for good deals!!! Thats what really makes this hobby fun in my opinion.... :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

MaxCast

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:00 pm »
This is not American specific or how it is done in America, only.  Everywhere in the world someone would buy something and resell it for more if they know they can make a ruble or two.

Cacophonix

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:13 pm »
This is not American specific or how it is done in America, only.  Everywhere in the world someone would buy something and resell it for more if they know they can make a ruble or two.

Very true   8)
Everyone likes to make a quick buck or two. As long as its legal, i don't have issues.

But would i like to deal with such dealers? Hmm ... If i think the deal is still good, then maybe.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:46 pm »
 In the absence of the freedom to trade there is no freedom.    As long as the two parties agree to terms which they view as mutually beneficial to both of them.... they have done no wrong unless their actions hurt a third party.    By hurt, I don't mean that you are hurt because you didn't get the same deal.   

What is wrong... is when an outside party that has NO interest in the transaction insist upon the terms under which the two parties agree to trade their goods or services.    That by definition is a restriction in the individual freedoms of the two parties and it is usually done for reasons that run completely counter to freedom.   It is typically done to justify someone's idea of a "Right".   Of course "Rights" have a way of being completely within the eye of the beholder.    We often see our own "Rights" much clearer than we see others.   

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:49 pm »
Some guy was quicker than you and bought the amp. If you had been quicker, you would be bragging rather than complaining. Somebody had to win and it wasn't you this time. It wasn't me either but I have the good sense, first of all, not to want that stupid amplifier and secondly, not to think I was entitled to it.

Another important point that I haven't seen addressed here is this: He's asking 46% more. Asking. I see no mention that he actually got his price. He bought the thing on speculation and he runs the risk of facing a marketplace that feels as I do about overheated, military-grade, archaic iron. If it's any consolation, I would gladly have stepped aside and let you buy that Krell. I guess that makes me a good guy, huh?

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2010, 02:23 pm »
Other than this transaction being out in the open, and his having successfully bid against consumers, how is what he's doing any different from what every other merchant does every day?

Well, it's that second "other" that makes the difference - he's competing with his customers.

Eric

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2010, 02:38 pm »
I agree. I may be personally bummed that I did not get the deal, but he has a right to do what he did.

I hardly think buying something at a low price and reselling it for a profit qualifies as stealing.  It's no different than finding a deal on a component at a yard or estate sale and reselling for a profit.

If it is priced at fair market value, it will sell.  If it is overpriced and somebody buys it, they should have done their research and due diligence.

You really should not have gotten a chronic headache over this.

Steve

turkey

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:02 pm »
If I want to buy something and find the price agreeable, I buy it. If not, not.

If I'm trying to buy something and someone else gets to it first or outbids me - that's life.

I would of course prefer that all sellers price their items at $1 and give me first refusal, but why should I get preferential treatment over anyone else (including a dealer)?

It is kind of aggravating to have dealers or collectors or whoever has deep pockets come in and drive up prices in general, but that's just the way things are. (If they can do it then it really means the prices were too low to begin with.)

In this specific case, this dealer's customers (potential or actual) will have to decide whether the price for this item is fair. If they decide it's a fair price and buy the item, then more power to them.

An item is worth what it sells for, no more and no less.

ctviggen

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:11 pm »
Whenever I sell anything on Audiogon, I always sell at a very low price. My reasons include that I don't have time to answer the barrage of emails I'll get, and I just want the sale completed as soon as possible.  I believe it would be easy for someone to buy from me and then resell at a profit, but that's OK with me.  If I had more time, I might consider selling at a higher price, but I don't have more time and won't for a while. 

werd

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:17 pm »
Hello Mclsound

It sounds like you have done pretty good in the past on Agon  :thumb::D. One thing for sure... there will always be good deals on Agon. So who cares about one sale, just get on with it, it will pay off sooner or later.

brother love

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2010, 04:39 pm »
To the OP,

The flip side of the coin is ...

If you knew someone had grossly under-priced an item like in this case, would it be "stealing" if you took advantage & bought it?   :icon_twisted:

Shouldn't you let that seller know that they could get a lot more money for it?  You know, the Good Samaritan thing, or is it the Golden Rule? 

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:22 pm »
What the guy did was not dishonest. But to banter about the term capitalism is misleading. What he did has nothing to do with capitalism. That kind of act happens in all manner of economies.
The sole purpose (as I see it) of capitalism is competition from the private sector to produce goods with the end result being the lowest price possible for the consumer. That's one of the main tenents of Adam Smith, and the most intentionally overlooked. That, and the invisible hand that controls the market (morality and ethics).
All that guy saw was a bargain and he jumped on it.
More power to him.
He found his niche in life.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jun 2010, 06:29 pm »
I agree with the OP...

...someone could have bought that product and been happy with it; the other person bought it in order to flip it.

turkey

« Reply #37 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:15 pm »
I agree with the OP...

...someone could have bought that product and been happy with it; the other person bought it in order to flip it.

And now probably someone will buy it and be happy with it. Or the price will be too high and the dealer will drop his price _and then_ someone will buy it and be happy with it.

Sheesh! People are acting like this dealer stole something from them.

srb

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:20 pm »
Sheesh! People are acting like this dealer stole something from them.

I made a list of those people.  Next time I have something for sale, if they're interested the special price for them is +46%!

Steve

Nuance

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:29 pm »
Its called being an entrepreneur, and its a good thing.  Some countries would have to give their spoils to the government had they made a profit like this.  Enjoy your freedom to do things such things, while they last...