Re-wiring crossovers - need suggestions on wire & connectors

avalon65

I posted here a few weeks back about replacing a woofer in A garage speaker and received some excellent advice, especially from markC(thanks!). :notworthy: Now I'm working on rewiring 8 ohm, two-way crossovers and need suggestions on what type of wire to use and more importantly connectors. I have access to Tyco products and could get just about anything. What is the most ideal material/metal type the connector should be made of? Wire suggestion would be helpful too. I'm not too concerned about having the best since these are garage speakers and I'm trying to do this on the cheap. THANKS!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Re-wiring crossovers - need suggestions on wire & connectors
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2006, 10:04 am »
Good and cheap?  Use the same speaker cable all the way from drivers to amp.  Doesn't that make sense?  Keep the connector on the amp end and use the rest of the cable for all the internal wiring.  Seal around the hole in the back of the speaker where the cable comes out.  The best connection is none at all, silver solder being the next best.  (Some extremists even solder the cable directly to the inside of the amp too.) 

The best really cheap option would be single strand plenum rated CAT5 or CAT6 (the stuff found inside computer networking cables).  You can use single pairs, or multiple pairs twisted together (CAT5/CAT6 consists of 4 pairs to start with).  I use cryo'd single strand plenum rated CAT5 in my $3000 rig.  If you can spend more Element Cable, Bluejean Cable, and Signal Cable make good entry level audiophile wires of all sorts.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2006, 09:28 am by JLM »