To upgrade my mains crossovers or not?

bubba966

« on: 24 Dec 2002, 10:04 pm »
Last week I pulled my crossover out to take a look at it. About all I could indentify was the caps, as I've not messed around with such things before.

They're Elytone caps, 50V NP +/-10% with values from 4uf to 32uf. I've not heard of them and don't really know if I could do a whole lot better if I changed them out with something better.

Looking on the Percy audio site I wasn't seeing many caps rated for 50V, they're all higher voltage caps.

What else can be upgraded in a crossover?

Maybe I should pull them again and try to scan them...

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2002, 11:20 pm »
Is this a speaker crossover?

It isn't too critical if you use caps that are rated for higher voltages.

Some people feel that the higher voltage rated caps do sound better.

100V-200V Non Polarized caps would be fine to use.

The higher value caps do get expensive when you change to "Audiophile Grade"

I have Auricaps in my mains and I DO like the sound :)

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2002, 11:38 pm »
Yup, I'm speaking of the speaker crossovers in my L/C/R speakers (M&K S-125's).

So the NP designation on the caps stands for Non-Polarized, right?

In each crossover there's a 32uf, 24uf, 16uf, 8uf, and a pair of 4uf caps. That'd probably add up to a bit for Auricaps, wouldn't it?

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2002, 12:18 am »
At the retail prices, I make it to cost about $240.00 per speaker.

That is using large values. There is also a school of thought that believes you should make up large value caps with smaller values.

It is supposed to sound quite a bit better.

It will cost more :)

Auricap Price List

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2002, 12:34 am »
And don't forget to replace all the coils with foils too :-)

I would expect you would get the most benefit by replacing the caps in series with the tweeter. Also, there are caps less expensive than the Auricaps, perhaps the new line Kevin P has might be worth a shot.

JohnR

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2002, 12:43 am »
Here's a scan of the crossover

Sorry I can't take a digital of it. :(

$240 a pop for Auricaps huh? Ouch. Maybe some day, but not anytime soon. Thanks for the info though Wayne.

What's replacing the coils do?

thetruth

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2002, 03:43 pm »
Those are non-polorized electrolytics caps. The cheapest caps available.

Do replace them.  Don't bother with with audiophile designer caps like Auricaps, those are a waste of money.

There are nice quality reasonably priced metalized poly film caps available from Madisound or Parts Express

Jay S

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2002, 12:29 am »
Try getting in touch with Jeff Glowacki at www.soniccraft.com.  His Sonicaps are said to be very very good (almost on par with with Audiocap Thetas at a fraction of the price).  I believe he helped Dave Ellis with the upgraded XO of the highly acclaimed Ellis 1801.  

I have been in touch with Jeff re: upgrading the caps and resistors on the XO of my nOrh 9.0 (which has Bennic caps and Royal cement type resistors).  I sent him the schematic and he gave me some pretty good advice -- he was able to identify which caps and resistors were most important to upgrade.  When I asked if it was worthwhile to replace the coils as well, he knew enough about the design of the XO to say that they weren't critical to the design (it helped that he has previous experience with my speakers).  My XO may be simpler than yours, but replacing 3 caps per side (4.7 uF, 10 uF and 15 uF) plus 6 resistors per side would come out for less than $200 in parts (can't recall exact figure right now).

I was planning on going through with this before the holidays.  But, I want to hear my upgraded smART DI/O (now called MENSA, waiting for me to get back from the holidays) in my system before I did the XO upgrade.  Plus, I need to figure out how to remove the XO board from the cabinet of the speakers -- they seem to be VERY securely glued on!!!   :(

Marbles

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2002, 01:29 am »
Quote from: Jay S

I was planning on going through with this before the holidays.  But, I want to hear my upgraded smART DI/O (now called MENSA, waiting for me to get back from the holidays) in my system before I did the XO upgrade.  

Ok, how does the Mensa improve on the smART?

thetruth

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2002, 02:05 am »
It's a good idea to keep things is perspective.

M&K makes good speakers, but they use modest drivers.

Does it really make sense to take a speaker with a $15 tweeter, and a pair of $20 woofers then invest in caps that INDIVIDUALLY cost more than one of the drivers?

He needs 32uf, 24uf, 16uf, 8uf, and a pair of 4uf caps per speaker. That's quite a bit of cash (maybe equal to the cost of the speakers?) even with Jeff's caps..

A more realistic purchase are the Dayton Metallized Polypropylene Crossover Capacitors  or the GE Metalized Poly film caps

These caps while not audio jewelry, are very good sounding, and modestly priced. Also the quality is an appropriate match for the drivers in the M&K speakers

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2002, 06:39 am »
True, going with Auricaps comes to $230 a speaker. Being $690 to upgrade the front of the system. Does adding $230 worth of caps to a $675 speaker make sense? Probably not.

Also I must think if I want to void the warranty. I do have 7 years of warranty left on the center & 8 years left on the mains.

Lots to think about. Appreciate all of the info guys.

CastAwayWilson

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2002, 08:09 am »
Bubba close your eyes and press your face and scan and show us, it works! if you don't press your face on it the scanners do black and white and it looks like the blair witch project :)