Quick intro

datajunky

Quick intro
« on: 28 Feb 2022, 08:53 pm »
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum and I've just finished setting up my first DIY home theater. I originally joined the forum to search to help with some troubleshooting but looks like I have to introduce myself before I can search.

So far I have built the following:
X-Statik for my fronts
X-Voce for my center
X-LS Encores that are being used as my rear surrounds

I'm waiting for parts to come back in stock before I order my subs, side surrounds, and potentially ATMOS but for now I'm running Emotiva A1's for my side surrounds and an old Boston PV800 for my sub. I'm using a Marantz SR6008 receiver and powering the front three channels with an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen3 amp.

These are my first speaker builds and I started with the flat pack for the X-LS but built my own cabinets for the X-Statiks.

I've had to work around some odd floorplan layouts to build my theater room and mayble I'll cover that later but the main issue I seem to be having is I have a big dip in response at 5.5Khz when measured on my full system. I'm not seeing the dip when I run REW using a small class d amp on a single speaker in another room. I still troubleshooting but if anyone has any tips besides the obvious swapping out of components feel free to chime in. I'm guessing I'll be able to get this sorted out but in the mean time I guess I've now introduced myself and will post as needed so I can search the forums as originally intended.

~Ryan

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Quick intro
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2022, 10:03 pm »
Welcome aboard  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2022, 10:09 pm »
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum and I've just finished setting up my first DIY home theater. I originally joined the forum to search to help with some troubleshooting but looks like I have to introduce myself before I can search.

So far I have built the following:
X-Statik for my fronts
X-Voce for my center
X-LS Encores that are being used as my rear surrounds

I'm waiting for parts to come back in stock before I order my subs, side surrounds, and potentially ATMOS but for now I'm running Emotiva A1's for my side surrounds and an old Boston PV800 for my sub. I'm using a Marantz SR6008 receiver and powering the front three channels with an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen3 amp.

These are my first speaker builds and I started with the flat pack for the X-LS but built my own cabinets for the X-Statiks.

I've had to work around some odd floorplan layouts to build my theater room and mayble I'll cover that later but the main issue I seem to be having is I have a big dip in response at 5.5Khz when measured on my full system. I'm not seeing the dip when I run REW using a small class d amp on a single speaker in another room. I still troubleshooting but if anyone has any tips besides the obvious swapping out of components feel free to chime in. I'm guessing I'll be able to get this sorted out but in the mean time I guess I've now introduced myself and will post as needed so I can search the forums as originally intended.

~Ryan

The 5.5khz dip might be a reflection from one of the room boundaries (likely the side wall).  Try putting the speaker in the center of the room and measure again, that'll tell you if it's a side wall reflection or not.  And if it is, then some acoustic absorption panels should fix it quite nicely.

datajunky

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2023, 01:35 am »
Its taken awhile but I've made some upgrade
  • pair of triple threats (Building them now)
  • set of x-on walls
  • upgraded to RMC-1L 16 Channel 9.1.6 Discrete Dolby Atmos & DTS:X Reference Cinema Processor

I am curious about what cables people use to run from the amp to the triple threats? I would have search but I don't have enough post yet. If this thread is buried I should be able to search soon.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2023, 04:29 am »
Its taken awhile but I've made some upgrade
  • pair of triple threats (Building them now)
  • set of x-on walls
  • upgraded to RMC-1L 16 Channel 9.1.6 Discrete Dolby Atmos & DTS:X Reference Cinema Processor

I am curious about what cables people use to run from the amp to the triple threats? I would have search but I don't have enough post yet. If this thread is buried I should be able to search soon.

Best to use the wire that comes with the amp. Put the connector on the end those wires.

datajunky

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2023, 03:56 pm »
Thanks. That makes sense as to why I was confused. The amps are still in shipment.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2023, 09:52 pm »
Welcome to AC.

When taking room measurements be sure to only measure one speaker at a time.

Oh, and these guys are going to want to see pictures.