VDA-2 short review and power supply question

speedofsound

VDA-2 short review and power supply question
« on: 8 Jun 2012, 05:44 am »
I just joined the forum because today i received a vda-2 converter i purchased second hand from a CAM member here in Canada.  First I'd like to comment on the sound.  At first I wasn't sure whether i liked it it better than my current source which is a TC electronic konnekt 6 interface which i've been running off two 12v batteries in series (this is a fine interface and excellent value might i add.  I'm not sure what the analog section is but i think they paid special attention to it).  As is, the TC has a smoother sound, a little more focus, and slightly better bass.  I expect the latter two to improve once the vda-2 has a better power supply.  After about half an hour of switching between the two i left the vda-2 on and put on the song 'dirty laundry' covered by Harlan which during the beginning has a distorted bass line with a slight chirping sound which almost sounds like a bell swelling in and out with the rythm.  It's some type of artifact of the recording which i don't think was meant to be in the mix.  I then switched to the TC and played the same song and surprise surprise, that sound was simply not there.  Only when i put my ear to the tweeter could i hear it very very faintly way in the distance.  This was the first clue as to how revealing and open souding the vda-2 is at the top.  The reason that mix has that arifact is probably because the converters that were used to mix the song were likely typical implementations with brickwall filtering and an artificial sounding high end.  The sound simply didn't come through the monitors for the engineer to hear - even though it was there.  So i left the vda-2 on to stream some more music while i layed down to take a nap and some older music came on, some early rod stewart, and beach boys.  It was as i was almost falling asleep that it dawned on me just how natural and easy flowing this DAC sounds.  As cliche as it sounds, I totally forgot about hi-fi and just immersed myself in the music, relaxed and eventually fell asleep.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this dac is especially good if you listen to a lot of music that was pressed before the dawn of the CD because it seems to open those high real frequencies and just lets the sound through unstrained in it's original form.  It does indeed sound like vinyl!  And if you think about it, it makes sense.  Today's typical converters filter the **** out of the top end because even the effects we use to record are predominantly digital and have a shut-in sounding treble.  Hence the need for all the goddamn filtering.  So there is my little review.  This is a special dac and i'm looking forward to listening to it much more.  Now on to my question:
  What is the highest AC voltage it will accept?  I have a 20 volt ac power supply which i'd like to try to use as long as i know it's not gonna fry the VDA-2.  I know someone on here said their VAC-1 was putting out over 17 volts AC and they were concerned but it turned out that was completely fine.  Will 20 volts fry it?

CIAudio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
Re: VDA-2 short review and power supply question
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2012, 01:32 pm »
20V AC is too high...
17V unloaded is about as high as you can go (12-17 is a safe range).
Internal circuits run at 12V and 5V DC.
VAC-1 is about 16V AC under load, which is about 22.5V DC at the input of the 12V regulator.
We use this higher voltage so it can also be used in Japan (100v Mains).
If making your own supply, 12V AC will give you about 17V DC into the 12V regulator.

speedofsound

Re: VDA-2 short review and power supply question
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2012, 07:22 pm »
Thanks!