SWLP 9.0SE phase question

madders

SWLP 9.0SE phase question
« on: 16 Dec 2007, 04:55 pm »
Hi Guys,

I just got my new SWLP 9.0SE (and very good it sounds too straight "out of the box" so can't wait to hear it at it's optimum when it's fully run in!  :D )

I'm a little confused about phase/polarity and hope someone will be able to help... In the instruction book in the introduction it states, "Please note, this design does invert the absolute phase. You may reverse polarity of your speaker cable leads to address this." Which is straightforward and I have swapped over + & - on one end of the speaker cables. My confusion is when it comes to wiring up my Dynavector cart and connecting the tonearm wires on my VPI SSM turntable. The instruction book for this states "If your phono section inverts phase, the hot color becomes the ground color." Should I swap the wires over? I have got it wired up as if the phono stage doesn't invert phase and it sounds fine, but thought I'd double check.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer  :)   

GregC

Re: SWLP 9.0SE phase question
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2007, 07:32 pm »
If the SWLP 9.0 SE uses the same circuit as the SWP 9.0 SE dedicated phono stage then you will need to reverse the hookup wires on the tonearm and you will hear a difference.

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2007, 09:23 pm »
A point of clarification here:

The SWP 9.0SE inverts absolute phase, as does the SWLP 9.0SE.

If you run the SWP standalone phono into a non-phase-inverting LS or preamp, then you will do better to invert the phase at the cartridge leads (just swap +/- tonearm leads).

If you are using the SWLP full preamp with phono, then EVERY signal from the preamp is inverted and thus reversing the speaker leads polarity will address this.

Those who are running the SWP 9.0SE into our 36.5 balanced LS with phase switch - highly recommended :) - then you can change phase on the fly, even from the remote.

I am pleased to hear that more people are learning about our 9.0SE phono preamps.  They truly turned out better than expected and perform WAY beyond their price-point.  Our sales are increasing as the units in the field speak for themselves.  If you are considering a phono stage in the $3K range, then I would urge you to try to audition the ModWright SWP 9.0SE or SWLP 9.0SE preamp w/phono, before making your final decision. I believe you will be QUITE surprised.

Thanks,

Dan

madders

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2007, 10:00 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Dan  :thumb:

Thanks also for the help GregC, it's very much appreciated.

cwt108

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2007, 06:59 pm »
I still do no understand the issue of phase. I am currently using Sony 9100ES Signature and LS 36.5.
Will "phase" be an issue to me? Or it only affects phono equipments???
In addition, I connect a regular DVD player and a digital source (computer) to my ls 36.5 (plus use LS 36.5 as part of my HT (by pass mode)).

Any explanation????

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2007, 06:27 am »
The LS 36.5 has balanced outputs and RCA (single-ended outputs).  It has the ability to invert absolute phase via the remote and the front control panel.

All of our modified players output a signal that is IN absolute phase, provided that the recording is in phase.  In other words, the players analog stage does not invert absolute phase.

The LS 36.5 powers up in-phase, as evidenced by a blue LED glow inside the unit.  If the remote phase button is depressed at this point, the light goes off inside the preamp and the unit now is inverting absolute phase.

The short answer to your specific question is that all of your inputs are going to be in-phase, including Sony and Home Theater connections and you have no need to worry about inverting system phase via the speaker connections, etc.

Some recordings are recorded in or out of phase and some people are more sensitive to this than others.  You may experiment with this via the remote and you may find a significant or negligible difference to your ears.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Thank you,

Dan W.

cwt108

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2007, 06:42 am »
Dan, thanks a lot. This is exactly what I am looking for.

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2008, 02:26 pm »
Sorry.  One more question regarding the phase.  In the instructions, the HT inputs are passed straight to the outputs and the signal bypasses all active circuitry.  Is phase still inverted when using the HT bypass?

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2008, 12:41 am »
Phase is not effected when going through the HT/BP, as there is no active circuitry involved in which to change the phase.

Thanks,

Dan

vett93

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2008, 07:53 pm »
What does phase inversion do to the sound? My preamp does not have a phase switch. But I use the Chesky Test CD that has tests on phase inversion. I cannot hear any differences.

What am I supposed to hear?

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2008, 07:56 am »
To be perfectly honest, some people are VERY sensitive to absolute phase change and others not.  Now if one channel is out of phase from the other, then you get obvious frequency cancellation and this is obvious to the ear.  I find that with our 2-box LS 36.5, I can hear the difference in phase more than I can with the single-box LS 36.5.  I will also admit that to my ears, it is a subtle difference.

Hope this helps.

Dan

hi_watt

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2020, 05:49 am »
The preamp that my 9.0 SWP SE is hooked up to, also has the inverted polarity recommendation. With that, I've reversed the connections at the speaker terminals. Does this mean, that the SWP is fine through the main preamp's inverted phase?