RM/X

ARAM

RM/X
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jun 2006, 04:39 am »
The  speakers  were  shipped   very  well..When  I  got  them  they  were  in  good  condition..They   had   sticky  tape   over  the  tweeters..I  don't  know  if  you  know  but  I  bought  them  from  Eric Kovalsky..I  think  these  were  the  first  commercially  sold  pairs..
  About  bases..I  have  spoken  to  a  masonry  place  here  ,,They  specialize  in  marble  and  granite..So  when  I  get  them I will  have  a  pic  of  them..
   I  heard  about  the  Aksa  amplifiers  but  I  am  not  sure  if   they  are  strong  enough  for  the  RM/X..
  Well,  in  the  future  I  would  like  to  have  Pass  Aleph  350..they  are  down  to  3500 USA$  in  the  market  now.(used  )..I  think  they  will  give  enough  juice  to  the  speakers??(350  watts  at  8  ohm)..they  just  look  so  nice  to  me  all  the  time..I  have  not  heard  them  though..what  do  you  guys    think??

shokunin

RM/X
« Reply #21 on: 16 Jun 2006, 04:56 am »
I had the Pass X-250 on my RM40's which synergized well with the Rm40's.  The pass has lots of current, some warmth in the midrange, and solid bass.  Treble energy and imaging weren't the best nor was it as crystal clear as some of the digital amps, but it's a nice amp and should drive your RM/x's.  

If you have bass problems, make sure it's not just as your listening seat and play with the woofers firing out or reverse the speakers and have them fire in.

My RM/x's currently have the woofers firing towards each other (in) as that seemed to load my room better.

ctviggen

RM/X
« Reply #22 on: 16 Jun 2006, 04:28 pm »
You purchased these from Mr. "I hate VMPS".  That was quite a while ago. You could use the Aksa amps, but you'd probably have to use one 2-channel Aksa on one speaker and another 2-channel Aksa on another speaker (the so-called "vertical biamping"; "horizontal biamping" would be one channel from one 2-channel amp on the bass of one speaker and another channel on the bass of another speaker; ditto for the second 2-channel amp, applied to the mids/highs).

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
RM/X
« Reply #23 on: 16 Jun 2006, 04:36 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
You purchased these from Mr. "I hate VMPS".  That was quite a while ago. You could use the Aksa amps, but you'd probably have to use one 2-channel Aksa on one speaker and another 2-channel Aksa on another speaker (the so-called "vertical biamping"; "horizontal biamping" would be one channel from one 2-channel amp on the bass of one speaker and another channel on the bass of another speaker; ditto for the second 2-channel amp, applied to the mids/highs).

Bob,

I don't think it is fair to say Eric is "Mr. I Hate VMPS".  Eric (as well as many others) was very vocal about certain issues (which I am not looking to dig up).  Truth is, Eric has said many positive things about VMPS (even after he sold his speakers) speakers as well.

I know Eric doesn't need me to defend his character, but as his friend, I felt that I had to say something.

George

mcrespo71

RM/X
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jun 2006, 04:52 pm »

I think it's ironic that VMPS owners excoriate Erik now.  First off, he bought one of the most expensive VMPS speakers, so they obviously made $$ off of him.  Second, when he had VMPS speakers (the RM40 and RM/X), he was vocal in his support and I'm sure was instrumental in many of the first wave of VMPS owners purchases, given that most of them get their info off of this site and Erik can pretty much afford whatever the hell he wants.  Thus, the fact that HE bought VMPS meant something, since he can clearly afford Wilsons or any other expensive speaker he wants.  You can't buy advertising better than that IMO.  If he is criticizing VMPS now, I guess it nettles many of you, but he also owned the brand, so he has more credence than if I started ripping on VMPS.  Just my opinion as an observer who is dispassionate about either side of the argument.

Ryan45872

RM/X
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jun 2006, 05:31 pm »

Starting this is not going to help the man find an amplifier.

John Casler

RM/X
« Reply #26 on: 16 Jun 2006, 08:02 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Aram,

You should check out the aksa forum and as you live in melbourne perhaps a die hard could bring their amp along for you to listen to.  It is a good quality amp with spades of dynamics, bass and is a really musical.

It will at least give you an idea what direction you need to go in.

Regards

Rod

Hey Rod,

Too bad you don't live closer, you could run the Son of Ampzilla over and try a Horizontal Biamp with ARAM's current amp.

I know the AMPzilla sounds good on the RM/x, but the Son doesn't have all the groceries for top and bottom. :wink:

Skynyrd

RM/X
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jun 2006, 11:08 pm »
Wow.

I actually agree with Zybar on this one regarding Kovalsky.  Stranger things have happened.

I thought Erik was super-knowledgeable and an overall positive proponent of VMPS. I still re-read his posts.
I don't get the putty thing either, and the deep bass just ain't in my pair of RM40's.  And how about a nice warm tonal balance?  Wait, it's my room or electronics.  And the harshness is high performance!   Sorry about my inadequacies there.   :roll:

I'm just not the kind of person who only says nice things about products I buy.  Life's too short for that BS!

Geez, I'll be keeping the RM40's for awhile even with their above outlined inadequacies.  No Kool-Aid for me, though.  

Gotta love that transient snap.

Skynyrd

ARAM

RM/X
« Reply #28 on: 17 Jun 2006, 01:30 am »
Well  I  have  been  watching  and  reading  Audiocircle  and  before  here harmonic  audio  or  smt (it  was  another  website  before  this)  for  a  long  time..So  I  know  about  Eric  and  his  thoughts..That  is  how  I  decided  to  buy  the  RM/X..by  then  I  was  living  in  UK  and  when  I  bought  them  I  actually  asked  him  to  keep  the  speakers  for  almost  4  months  more  so  that  he  can  ship  them  to  Australia  later..which  he  did..I  think  everybody  should  have  the  right  to  criticize  any  product  they  have  or  they  don;t  have..Eric  just  had  lots  of  money::))   to  afford  another  speaker..if  he  is  happy  that  is  fine..the  only  thing  is  I  cant  get  hold  of  him  at  all  lately::((...
  I  also  remember  Eric  and  Azryan  comparing  their  speakers..Alpha LS  and  RM40...anyway...

warnerwh

RM/X
« Reply #29 on: 17 Jun 2006, 06:59 am »
Skynard: If you're not getting good bass with your RM 40's then something else is wrong.

You should measure your room. Speaker position and listener position is very important, more important than the putty by far.

If after you measure your room and you still can't get the sound you want with listener/room position you should try a Behringer DEQ 2496. That should easily do the trick.

Even in my fully treated room with four large bass traps the Behringer unit helped immensely. I should add that if you don't have bass traps then that could be part of the problem. Everybody's room is different and every speaker will react differently in every room.  There are of course the dimensions of the room that all speakers will have similar bass issues in.

I love quality and powerful bass. In my system I require nothing less than outstanding bass.I have it from the first octave on up. I do use a sub upto 45hz and run my RM 40's full range. Even with all the treatment and bass traps though the Behringer unit helped the sound quality alot. I would not go without one again. It doesn't matter which speakers you use or what else is in your system.  With the typical large amplitude variations of the room DSP is now a must have for my system.

In case you're not aware the "average" listening room has peaks and dips of plus or minus 15db!  I've read that Ethan Winer who owns Realtraps and is very knowledgeable about acoustics has measured 30db variations in customers rooms.

Now say you have a note of music and the fundamental frequency is 400hz. Now this 400hz tone is 5db up, the first harmonic of 800 is 7db down, next harmonic 4db down and the next harmonic is 5 db up. How close do you think this note will sound compared to what it should sound like?

With huge amplitude variations that are room effects one cannot possibly be getting the most out of their system.  The only component that varies much from a flat frequency response is your speakers, unless you have a turntable on which the cartridge is also a transducer.  The room is the big offender by a large margin.

By not addressing these amplitude variations no matter what your system it will not sound nearly as good as it can. I could put the rear channel speakers from my home theater (Polk Rti 25's) in my system and make them sound great. Far better I bet than alot of peoples 1,000 speakers. A system costing 2,000 can easily sound better than one costing 8,000 if the less expensive system has good acoustics and the 8,000 system is playing in the "average" room.

After over 30 years in this hobby I've learned that most people spend way too much time and money on the wrong things. Easily the highest priorities should be room and speakers. Amps, preamps, dacs all have an effect but it is very small and these electronics cannot come close to making up for the fundamental amplitude issues.

The Behringer DEQ 2496 with the ECM 8000 microphone is only 300 bucks. If one can afford it the Tact would probably be my choice but they're expensive even used. For the money what you get is a bargain and a half.

Marbles

RM/X
« Reply #30 on: 17 Jun 2006, 11:19 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
Skynard: If you're not getting good bass with your RM 40's then something else is wrong.

I do use a sub upto 45hz and run my RM 40's full range....

Most all who have owned the RM40's and tried subs like to run the 40's with subs, so maybe if he's not getting good bass it IS the 40's.

I do agree with you though in that any room treatments are generally worth the time and money of doing them.

Rocket

RM/X
« Reply #31 on: 18 Jun 2006, 02:47 am »
Hi,

What is the efficiency of the vmps rmx speakers?  

Aram,

I'm sure if you contacted hugh dean at aspen amplifiers (he lives in melbourne) he would give you a demonstration.  My aksa 100 has so much drive it wasn't funny.

Regards

Rod

ARAM

RM/X
« Reply #32 on: 18 Jun 2006, 07:01 am »
On  the  website  it  says... 4 Ohm (3.6min.) 93dB/1W/1m..so  4  ohm  is  low..I  think  that  makes  it  a  bit  power  hungry???

ARAM

RM/X
« Reply #33 on: 18 Jun 2006, 07:04 am »
Also  to  Brian or  knowledgeable  dealers,,, How  much  does  RM/X  weigh??168  kg  or  less?? or  the  first RM/X's  weighed  around  150  kg??I  am  not  sure  but  I  would  like to  know.. (it  got  nothing  to  do  with  sound  but  I  am  just  curious..)

John Casler

RM/X
« Reply #34 on: 18 Jun 2006, 06:00 pm »
Quote from: ARAM
Also  to  Brian or  knowledgeable  dealers,,, How  much  does  RM/X  weigh??168  kg  or  less?? or  the  first RM/X's  weighed  around  150  kg??I  am  not  sure  but  I  would  like to  know.. (it  got  nothing  to  do  with  sound  but  I  am  just  curious..)

Hi Aram,

I seriously doubt that Brian put the speaker on a scale fully dressed, but I think it was estimated at 350# based on the cabinet weight and parts weight.

Your shipping docs, might have a number for the "shipping" weight.

Brian is still on vacation, (till the 20th) so he won't be able to answer until then.

ARAM

RM/X
« Reply #35 on: 19 Jun 2006, 02:17 pm »
John  ,actually  they  had  the  shipping  weight  on  the  paper  .They  must  have  weighed  them  somehow(of  course  they  would!!..lol)  and  the  paper  showed  them  as  148  kg  each..so  I  am  not  sure..that  is  why  I  am asking..Only  Brian  will  know  the  exact  weight..So  I  am   thinking  maybe  later  versions  were  heavier..Brian  will  know...

ekovalsky

RM/X
« Reply #36 on: 20 Jun 2006, 06:18 am »
"Mr. I Hate VMPS" just saw this thread  :whip:  Not been around here much lately, been busy enjoying my family and my system, and working some.  And getting a kick out of my new car on the streets of Scottsdale and the track.

Aram, there is a pretty easy way to get the bases on.   Drop the speaker onto its side, using some foam blocks or rolled up area rugs to keep it off the ground.  Match up the slots in the bases to the bottom of the speaker cabinet and push them together HARD... they don't fit great but will lock in place with some monkey grease or a beating with a rubber mallet.  Once it is firmly attached screw the bolts in.  You can then left the speaker up at the top end and stand it into position.  If you don't work out a lot get someone else to help.

When I sold and shipped the RM40s to tdangelo and the RMX to ARAM, two different freight companies recorded gross (packaged) weight to be well below what the net weight of the speaker was supposed to be, based on the specifications from the factory.  I have no comment on whose scales are probably inaccurate.

I'm not going to sing the praises of VMPS or flame them.  I enjoyed a lot of audio with both pairs of their speakers I owned.  As everyone knows I had some performance issues with them in my room, and many hours spent moving the speakers and the listening position trying to improve things did not really help.  Also I received what I considered to be unsatisfactory explanations when asking about specific aspects of the design and in-room measurements that I made with amateur equipment.  Maybe flying Brian out here for a few hundred dollars to tinker with the putty and make fractional dB adjustments to the pots would have bought me sonic nirvana ?  But being a skeptic and also a perfectionist, and not believing the speakers could be adjusted to compensate for what I felt to be shortcomings, the decision was made to sell them.  I pursued a very different route that was very costly but the results have been excellent and I stand by my decision.

I'll be back.

ARAM

RM/X
« Reply #37 on: 20 Jun 2006, 03:08 pm »
Hi  Ekovalsky
  I  actually  put  the  bases  on  today..