Neo Panel update

audiofunk

Neo Panel update
« on: 19 Mar 2003, 06:02 pm »
I'm going to send my panels in for the "nut & bolt" fix. can someone tell me what I need to get these babies off. I'm thinking once I'm past the screws that there is some de-soldering that has to be done.What kind of iron/equipment do I need to get these off, then back on?
Thanks!
Ed

tmd

Neo Panel update
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2003, 08:56 pm »
I did the upgrade myself and it worked out ok. Why don't you just cut the wires right at the panels. It will save you desoldering them which has the potential to cause damage. Of course, so does snipping the wires but not as much potential for damage there. Be careful anyway.
As for putting them back in, I don't know for sure but you probably need to solder on a ring on each wire so that you can bolt the wires to the panels. I didn't follow Jims advice there. I made a circle out of the bare conductor and soldered it in place so it would keep its shape. I then filed it down flat so there wouldn't be significant high points.
Best of luck, Neil.

Audio Al

Neo Panel update
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2003, 03:30 pm »
I was wondering the same thing.  Are there any "official" instructions for removal and reinstallation of the panels?   Do I understand that when they return that they will have to be reconnected in a different manner?

Jack_Geo

Neo Panel update
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2003, 05:10 am »
Last weekend, I re-installed my panels after getting them back from Brian.

Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.  This was, for all intents and purposes, my first real soldering job.  This description isn't going to be technical, bu here goes...

To remove the panels, I just heated the "circle" around where the where the wires were soldered to the panels.  After a minute or two, the wires just came right out with no problem.  I made a little diagram showing what wire went to what terminal (+ or -), and shipped them off.

The RM2's looked so sad without their panels!

Anyway, when I got the panels back, re-installing them was even easier.  Brian had sent the panels back with a color-coded "connector" (sort of like a little tube) already attached.  Basically, I soldered a little solder onto the connecting wire, heated the "tube" and melted some solder down into the tube.  When it cooled, all was well.

Now, this probably isn't the "official" way to do it, but everything seems to be working well for me...no problems.

YMMV

Jack