Next upgrade, new amp time?

Meicheng

Re: Next upgrade, new amp time?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:44 pm »
I can confirm that Songtowers are relatively easy to drive speakers.  I powered mine quite nicely with one of Tom's Class D amps, and that is a relatively inexpensive option.

vortrex

« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:39 pm »
These are ST's - don't go overboard with the gear.  They don't require a ton of watts.  You can't plumb the depths with them so keep your electronics commensurately priced.

agreed, but I don't think the ST's will be in the stable forever.  nothing seems to be with me!

coke

« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2011, 09:42 pm »
These are ST's - don't go overboard with the gear.  They don't require a ton of watts.  You can't plumb the depths with them so keep your electronics commensurately priced.

I agree

My dad is using an AVA Insight 260 with his songtowers.  It seems to be more than enough amp for them.  You could easily get by with less than this if you crossed them over to a sub.

We were patient and able to piece a nice used system together for my dad.  Songtower RT, Insight 260 amp, Insight SL preamp, and an EE Minimax DAC.

All these components seem to work together very well, and neither of us felt a need for more power in his very large open room.

vortrex

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:53 pm »
I'm definitely less concerned with power than I am with the quality of the sound.  I don't listen at loud levels, not remotely close and I never want to have a sub.  it just seems like with my tube amp I am lacking some bass.  the mids are amazing, but I want the whole package.  I'm looking at this next round of upgrades in the amp/pre dept to be the last for quite a while.  I'll then eventually upgrade to a higher end set of speakers.

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:21 am »
Plinius, Odyssey and Bryston should be looked at too.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:36 am »
I'm definitely less concerned with power than I am with the quality of the sound.  I don't listen at loud levels, not remotely close and I never want to have a sub.  it just seems like with my tube amp I am lacking some bass.  the mids are amazing, but I want the whole package.  I'm looking at this next round of upgrades in the amp/pre dept to be the last for quite a while.  I'll then eventually upgrade to a higher end set of speakers.

Never say never. 

won ton on

« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2011, 01:10 pm »
Nuance      i'm running a 4bsst2 with myht2-tl's. they seem to be a great match

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #27 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:02 pm »
i would seriously consider getting a used pair of quicksilver amps, the mid-mono series. one pair is up right now on audiogon: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1325452879&/Quicksilver-Mid-Mono-tube-amps he's had them shipped to the factory for a checkup and will ship to you after the get a clean bill of health.

the quicksilvers are neutral; have clean tight bass; are bulletproof reliable; are built in the usa; made with point-to-point wiring. mike sanders, of qs, has been building amps for a long time. the mid-monos have a*stellar* reputation.

i have a pair of quicksilver silver 88 mono blocks that are scary good with salk ht2-tl's.

if you can get a pair of qs's for $995, like above, take the rest of the cash and put it towards an upgrade to a ht2-tl speaker, the song towers are great, but the ht2-tl's are in a different league --especially if you listen to rock at moderate levels.

the other amp that i am intimately (13 year love affair) familiar is the pass labs aleph 5, single ended, full class a, 60 watt amp. stunning, clean midrange with oodles of tight bass when i used it with my ht2-tl's. the alephs regularly show up on the used market for a very good price.

OgOgilby

« Reply #28 on: 2 Dec 2011, 02:06 am »
i'm running a 4bsst2 with myht2-tl's. they seem to be a great match

That's good to know. What preamp are you using?

-Greg

won ton on

« Reply #29 on: 2 Dec 2011, 01:43 pm »
bp-26 also a bcd-1 and bda-1 with cardas inter and speaker cables

OgOgilby

« Reply #30 on: 3 Dec 2011, 02:39 am »
Nice set up won ton on! Surprised you don't have a BDP-1.

-Greg

won ton on

« Reply #31 on: 3 Dec 2011, 12:56 pm »
OgOgilby      thanks,i'm thinking about getting one next year or maybe the Salk system.I have a mac comp. and it seems like most servers/players are more windows compatable.So we'll see.

OgOgilby

« Reply #32 on: 6 Dec 2011, 02:02 am »
Nuance      i'm running a 4bsst2 with myht2-tl's. they seem to be a great match

The HT2-TL's work great with the 14B-SST2 also, but I would think that would be the case with most quality amps and Salks.

The better the front end you use with Jim's speakers, the better they sound. I really wonder what level of electronics you would need for the HT2-TL's to become the weak link in a system...

-Greg

Nuance

« Reply #33 on: 6 Dec 2011, 02:34 pm »
The better the front end you use with Jim's speakers, the better they sound. I really wonder what level of electronics you would need for the HT2-TL's to become the weak link in a system...

-Greg

Amen brother!  I haven't come close to finding the limits of my Salk's, though admittedly my front end isn't very impressive.  I'll get there one day, though. :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #34 on: 6 Dec 2011, 03:15 pm »
The HT2-TL's work great with the 14B-SST2 also, but I would think that would be the case with most quality amps and Salks.

-Greg

I have it.  Found it.  Maxed out the speakers.  No more ounces of sound can be reproduced.  Sponge is dry.  Bottle is empty.  Cleaned my plate.  Any more metaphors? :o

srb

« Reply #35 on: 6 Dec 2011, 04:15 pm »
Comparing your present amplifiers (TRL Samson monoblocks) to the many amplifiers before them, did they ..... Kick them to the curb?  Blow them out of the water?  Leave them in the dust?  Trash them?  Take no prisoners?  Smoke them?

Steve

Big Red Machine

« Reply #36 on: 6 Dec 2011, 05:07 pm »
 :rotflmao:

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #37 on: 6 Dec 2011, 06:16 pm »
I have it.  Found it.  Maxed out the speakers.  No more ounces of sound can be reproduced.  Sponge is dry.  Bottle is empty.  Cleaned my plate.  Any more metaphors? :o

How much $$$$ would it take  :lol: For me to take those off your hands???  8)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 6 Dec 2011, 06:16 pm »
How much $$$$ would it take  :lol: For me to take those off your hands???  8)
Well, you can call Paul and get 'em for $9k.   :wink:

vortrex

« Reply #39 on: 7 Dec 2011, 12:28 am »
can someone help answer this question for me?

I am using a turntable as my only source with an external phono pre.  it is possible to add volume control to my phono pre.  if I do ditch my integrated amp and go to separates, do I really need a pre-amp?  couldn't I just go direct from phono pre to amp?  I guess I am wondering what does a pre-amp do for you if the phono pre is plugged into an aux input?  is the pre-amp only acting as a very expensive volume control knob?