Winter speaker delivery - finish safety???

robinje

Winter speaker delivery - finish safety???
« on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:42 pm »
I am expecting new HT2-TL's today here in northern MN.   :D

I have ordered guitars with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish during winter, and have always waited 24 hours before opening the case so that the guitar could slowly come up to room temperature.  Subjecting a guitar with that type of finish to drastic temperature changes can cause finish cracking/checking.  My question is...  should I wait for a period of time after FedEx delivery before opening the Salk shipping cartons, or is the type of finish not sensitive to temperature variation.  It is -10F right now outside, and a balmy 69F here in my home office. 

Thanks...   :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Winter speaker delivery - finish safety???
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:01 pm »
 :nono:

open and enjoy

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:43 pm »
What finish did you get?  A standard satin finish would be good to go.  Thinking out loud, a gloss finish should be as well unless you asked for something "special."  I always let electronics warm to room temp before firing them up.  Probably couldn't hurt to let the crossover and cones do the same.

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:52 pm »
I always let electronics warm to room temp before firing them up.  Probably couldn't hurt to let the crossover and cones do the same.

Agreed. This is a good practice, and as Pete says, couldn't hurt with networks and cones...

tgp06

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:07 pm »
robinje-
Congratulations from another northern Minnesota Salk owner(HT3s & dome Songtowers). I'm also enjoying the -10 weather, just west of Duluth!? You will enjoy your speakers-near extension of the HT3s & the magic/forgiving nature(for placement) of the TL bass. I'd personally let them warm up in the box for an hour or so...just to avoid condensation on the internal components and the finish(although I don't think it would harm the finish).
Tom

Caustic Casey

• "All government, of course, is against liberty.."
    • causticcasey.com
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:48 pm »
Looks like my ST's will arrive tomorrow.... it's frigid here in the Northeast.... I may let them "warm" a bit, if I can control myself.