Speaker placement

robcentola

Re: Speaker placement
« Reply #20 on: 6 Dec 2013, 10:09 pm »
Yes, I'll climb that room treatment mountain after they're in place. It's not going to be an easy task. The acoustics in that room really aren't that horrible. I hate the fact there's a TV in that window now, but I lost that battle. I think when it warms up we're going to rearrange everything and I'll have the setup where that bookshelf is and the couch where the chair is. I don't like the couch there as it upsets any kind of flow and squashes the idea of an open floor plan. However, it's nice to have the sound pushing into the kitchen in the current setup as apposed to the way I'm suggesting.

See, it's all about that bookshelf. I want it in another room, but she doesn't. There simply isn't enough room for it. I offered to get a smaller one and that would open up that space, but I got shot down. The fact that I got the green light on the speakers was enough for me not push the bookshelf issue.

Next is new new rug, new coffee table and chair. When the speakers get here, they will be the nicest furniture we have and raises the bar for everything else. We're just renting that little place, so wherever we go, I think my choice in veneer, along with Jim's work, they with look great with anything.

robcentola

« Reply #21 on: 6 Dec 2013, 10:10 pm »
More than anything, I wondering who it was that took pics! Now nice is that!?! Wow.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 7 Dec 2013, 01:04 am »
Adjust the angle of the blinds themselves to deflect waveforms rather than reflect them.

SCompRacer

« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2013, 05:32 am »
I took some pics when I was there but it wasn't yesterday...

Here is one fellow I ran into there... He says "No Rich, you paid for SS8's, those are SS10's. But if you can carry them all the way to the car"....needless to say, I left with the 8's and had help loading them.....

robcentola

« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2013, 11:57 am »
Adjust the angle of the blinds themselves to deflect waveforms rather than reflect them.

Yes, I have considered this. Hey, everything counts.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 7 Dec 2013, 12:25 pm »
You don't need to overthink (or over-treat) it.  Most of the sound quality is driven by the room dimensions first.  I am extremely happy that this new room I have sounds so good.  It is 2.5X bigger but I have very little room for absorbers and what space I have is covered in diffusors.  Sounds much better than the last room.  I have not measured it.

Looks really nice so far!  Great idea over the window frame.

SCompRacer

« Reply #26 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:19 pm »
You don't need to overthink (or over-treat) it.  Most of the sound quality is driven by the room dimensions first.

This is great advice. My first mistake was thinking I plop my Salk's where my old speakers were with treatments I had applied to make the previous speakers sound their best. I've since removed behind speaker treatments and start from scratch. I keep saying I'll do some room sweeps but just listen instead....lol Such beautiful sound.

robcentola

« Reply #27 on: 8 Dec 2013, 04:37 pm »
Agreed. Once they're place and I get over the initial shock of how incredible they are I'll figure it out.

I've been building a library of HiRez flacs and rediscovering so much music. This time while they are built has been a great learning experience in computer audio and I very much enjoy it. CD's? What are CD's? ;)

Carl V

« Reply #28 on: 8 Dec 2013, 08:40 pm »
many years ago when I was in the uber audiophile geek phase...I tagged along with my dealer friend to s-cal.
Listened to the system (s) at Harmon & had time at one of the designer's home.  There was  had no room trx per se.
Went out to hear Orions...not a lot of room trx. Spent a weekend at SEA Ranch. No room treatments. In Colorado
Mr Dunlavey's set up did not have muchin the way of room Trx...he also had the speakers on the long wall .

The Speakers drive the room. And our brains quickly adapt to our surroundings.  Musicians often time here 'around'
the so-so set-up or their so-so home hi-fi.  Food for thought.