JBL 3677’s for home stereo

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
JBL 3677’s for home stereo
« on: 27 Feb 2021, 10:46 pm »
Two years ago I bought a pair of JBL 3677’s for $160.00 from a guy who got them from a movie theater in Paradise, CA that survived the Camp Fire.  There designed for small movie theaters, 50-100 seats.  I hooked them up in my living room and was floored by how good they sounded.  I’m 64 years old and love my music and have and still own some expensive gear, but have come to realize it doesn’t take money to get the true lifelike soundstage and detail.  The JBL’s are big and heavy, but are built without the added expense of fancy wood and such.  That said, I think they good damn good.

Folsom

Re: JBL 3677’s for home stereo
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2021, 11:02 pm »
I don't know a cheaper better deal in audio than that...

I know the 3677, and they're better than speakers that cost a lot more than they did when new. They don't sound ported. They have a little bit of a following on another forum.

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2021, 11:33 pm »
Folsom:

They remind me of Altec Voice of the Theater’s.  There 99db and have no colorization.  They have so much detail and are very fast.  I am running a B&W sub with mine even though they have excellent bass on their own.  I retired my Magnapan 2.5’s in favor of these. 

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2021, 03:28 am »
Hey!

Yup, Oldie but Goodie. Don't underestimate older stuffs. Some can still compete well or even better than some new stuffs today.

I think I know how you feel coming from low efficiency Maggie to much higher efficiency JBL. Everything just sound faster, lively and more dynamic impact? Make the Maggie sound slow and a bit muted right? That how I felt when I finished my Single Driver speaker based on 94dB 6" Fostex driver. Although, I have to say that I'll always have a spot for Maggie in my heart though.

Well, enjoy. And perhaps a little experiment with upgrade like xover caps and dampening the horn might improved them. Just make sure you can reverse the process if you don't like after.

Buddy