Which Torus to buy?

Wig

Which Torus to buy?
« on: 11 Aug 2009, 08:49 pm »
  Guys,

I'm ready to ditch my Panamax M-5100PM for a real PLC, but do not know which model to consider for my system: Belles 150A Ref amp 125 watt 8 ohms, Belles 21A tube pre, Rega Apollo, BDA-1 DAC, Plasma TV, VCR and DVD. I can't afford the top of line, just a unit that will satisfy my current needs. Cables consist of Power Chord e, MIT AC-1, Z-Cord II and Z-Cord I.

Thanks,
 Wig :)

drummermitchell

Re: Which Torus to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2009, 12:23 am »
Hi, on this site(James laid out what type of Torus people would need)It is on
this site somewhere and also if you go to the bryston site and go down to Torus they give you a bit  of info.
If I remember correct you add up the total amperage you components,amps,subs
would like at full power and divide by 2/3.So if your system would like 30a then 20a Torus should be good,running normal @8ohms.I know My 4+7B-ssts would like 10a each(8 ohms normal)and @4ohms 16.5@ full power.
If you want I can send you the paper James sent me(I'd need your E-mail addrress.Or just look it up on this site,I can't remember which #it is.
Maybe someone here can help.

werd

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2009, 01:32 am »
Hello

The rm-10 sounds like it would be suitable. However if price is an issue try using the rm-2.5 and running your amp straight in the wall. And if your are in the mood to go further you can purchase the rm 10 at a later date and use both for even further isolation. I havent heard either of these models but i do own a rm-20 and its fundamental  to how I identify  hi-fi sound. Looking at the rm2.5 weighing in at 17 lbs, you know its going to be built excellent for 2.5 amps.

what does your plasma draw for current is the first thing i would check because i know some can be up to 5 amps. Hope this helps

Wig

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2009, 12:20 pm »

Guys,

thanks for the response, my Plasma is 340 watts pulling 0.7 watts in the stand-by mode so will the rms-10 work in my situation. Not sure how many amp is 340 watts?

Thanks,
 Wig

werd

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2009, 06:11 pm »

Guys,

thanks for the response, my Plasma is 340 watts pulling 0.7 watts in the stand-by mode so will the rms-10 work in my situation. Not sure how many amp is 340 watts?

Thanks,
 Wig

yes and you can probably throw a sub on it too. the TV is around 3 amps

Wig

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2009, 06:45 am »

For the cost of a RM-10, I could have another amplifier and run mono! Decisons, decisions.

Wig aa

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2009, 01:07 pm »
Wig,for me,I was running 7B-ssts before without the Torus(s).
And I was using dedicated lines.As far as what the Torus(s) had done for the music,to me if I had the decision,I'd go for the Torus as she really gives a big
boost as far as the music is concerned.Iwas quite shocked actuallly.
If your undecided,if you could even borrow one to audition I think you wouldn't
want to take it back,but that's just me,I like my music and the Toruss) gives me MORE SATISFACTION,HappyHuntin :thumb:.

1ZIP

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2009, 03:04 pm »
By the definitions of electric potential (volt) and current (ampere), work is done at a rate of one watt when one ampere flows through a potential difference of one volt.[1]
1W=1V?1A