Harsh grainy vocals on Magnepan 3.7i

josh358

Re: Harsh grainy vocals on Magnepan 3.7i
« Reply #80 on: 22 May 2018, 10:31 pm »
Wow, you really are having a hard time. Maybe you can arrange a loaner.

I *have* noticed that electronics can cause problems of this kind, in fact, I've had similar problems with IVA's ever since I got an Exasound e28. They sounded fine with every other converter I've used on them. And the problems are much more apparent with some amps than others.

But it's really hard to make these diagnoses at a distance.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #81 on: 22 May 2018, 10:48 pm »
Try a 1.0 or 1.2ohm resistor.  Does well with my 20.1s

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #82 on: 23 May 2018, 02:24 am »
Purchased 1.5 and 2.0 ohm resistors from Magnepan and just completed some listening, I felt these higher values sucked all the life out of my music, gone were the tambourine, cymbal rings and top end magic.
Maybe next will be consideration of a new amp.
Open to ideas.

It  does not surprise me that the higher values  sucked all the life out of the music.  That's why I recommended 1 to 1.2 ohm resistors, Mills and Deulund Carbon.  These values do not take the life out of the music but  take some high frequency edge off and tame sibilants.  The Magnepan resistors are junk.  I preferred the Deulund 1.2ohm over the 1.0 ohm.  The difference was subtle but noticeable, especially with sibilants.  The Mills sounded different and warmer.  For $5 consider a 1 ohm Mills.  The Deulunds are expensive, around $25 each.

https://www.parts-express.com/mills-1-ohm-12w-non-inductive-resistor--005-1

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELUND-74958.html

I loaned Thunderbrick a pair of Mills and the 1ohm Deulunds to try with his 20.1's to try and tame some brightness.  I believe he preferred and ended up with the Mills while  I prefer the Deulunds.

The question I have for you is, did the resistors help with the grainy vocals?  If so, it may be worth it to try these  other resistors.  Be aware that the Cement Magnepan resistors are rough sounding in comparison to the Mills and Deulunds.

Larry

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #83 on: 23 May 2018, 02:40 am »
Maybe next will be consideration of a new amp.
Open to ideas.

Yes, after five months I'd try a different amp before I ditched the speakers.

If you're willing to cover shipping both ways, I'll send you an AVA Fet Valve Ultra 550 to run until you can make a better decision. Let me know.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

ssglx

« Reply #84 on: 23 May 2018, 09:06 am »
Has anyone recommended cleaning the connectors in the system?
The only time my system has been really grainy and flat is when the connectors were dirty. I cleaned the cable connections really well and the purity was back.
I wouldn't have believed it until I experienced it.

johnto

« Reply #85 on: 24 May 2018, 12:05 pm »
I have cleaned them once a few months ago but think I am buying another amp so will take the time to do them again. Thanks for the recommendation.

avta

« Reply #86 on: 24 May 2018, 03:55 pm »
I would also agree with others who have suggested another amp. Magnepan encourages users of their speakers to use amps that double their output at 4 Ohms as compared to 8. You might be able to borrow an amp suggested by your dealer or one from a friend. I think that this type of trial will help you to clarify things.

johnto

« Reply #87 on: 24 May 2018, 04:24 pm »
Yes I am currently considering a Pass 150 or Bryston 4b3.

avta

« Reply #88 on: 24 May 2018, 05:26 pm »
My bias would be for the Bryston. I favor separate amp-pre combinations.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #89 on: 24 May 2018, 05:55 pm »
Rent a Uhaul truck for $40, drive the speakers to the dealer, hook them up at the dealer.  Do they still sound harsh/grainy?  If yes, then return/exchange them.

johnto

« Reply #90 on: 24 May 2018, 06:01 pm »
Only problem is shop is 250 miles away and the persons car I borrowed no longer has it.

Tyson

« Reply #91 on: 24 May 2018, 06:03 pm »
Yes, you'll have to spend money on a Uhaul but that is a pretty cheap cost in order to get real, actual answers to your problems.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #92 on: 24 May 2018, 06:18 pm »
Yes, you'll have to spend money on a Uhaul but that is a pretty cheap cost in order to get real, actual answers to your problems.

BRILLIANT !!!! Tha'ts why I like ya Tyson. Straight to the point.

charles

Tyson

« Reply #93 on: 24 May 2018, 06:36 pm »

BRILLIANT !!!! Tha'ts why I like ya Tyson. Straight to the point.

charles

Thanks :)  I'd even suggest brining along the rest of the gear from Johnny's system in the Uhaul to the dealer.  That way he can hear his speakers with the dealer equipment and with his own equipment. 

Then, if the problem is his equipment and not the speakers, it's trivial to isolate exactly which piece of gear is problematic.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #94 on: 24 May 2018, 07:17 pm »

That's too much hassle and too time consuming. Why go to them when they will come to you? Invite them over for a nice steak dinner and a few beers.

mick wolfe

« Reply #95 on: 24 May 2018, 10:14 pm »
I pretty much agree with Tyson and everyone else who has suggested a proper troubleshooting of the speakers before spending another dime on anything ......including an amp.

johnto

« Reply #96 on: 1 Jul 2018, 08:04 pm »
Well I did it over extended myself with a Pass 250.8 and XP10 pre and it seems to have taken care of 90% of my problem. What remains I attribute to bad 60's rock records.
The Hint was wonderful with the Maggie 1.7i but just wasn't the same with the 3.7 i.
The Pass has more drive, control and everything as it should at over 5X the cost.
I do miss the sub output and digital inputs on the Parasound Hint.

josh358

« Reply #97 on: 1 Jul 2018, 08:24 pm »
Well I did it over extended myself with a Pass 250.8 and XP10 pre and it seems to have taken care of 90% of my problem. What remains I attribute to bad 60's rock records.
The Hint was wonderful with the Maggie 1.7i but just wasn't the same with the 3.7 i.
The Pass has more drive, control and everything as it should at over 5X the cost.
First class! Glad you got it straightened out. And congrats on the pass!

One thing about speakers, the more revealing they are, the more you end up spending on electronics. :-(

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #98 on: 1 Jul 2018, 08:33 pm »
Truer words were never spoken.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #99 on: 1 Jul 2018, 09:26 pm »

Congrats on the Pass gear.  I love mine. It was a huge step up for me going from a Parasound A21 to a Pass X250 and a BAT preammp.