David's Song3's in Carpathian Elm Burl and Mahogany

jsalk

David's Song3's in Carpathian Elm Burl and Mahogany
« on: 22 Aug 2018, 08:17 pm »
David was interested in a pair of Song3's finished with two different kinds of veneer.  After some discussion, it was decided that the front and rear would be mahogany and the rest of the cabinet would be Carpathian Elm  burl.  When we finished, the mahogany did not seem to match the elm burl as well as we thought it should.  So we asked David if he trusted us enough to let us apply a little dye to it.  We tried to pick out a color in the elm burl and apply it to the front and rear of the speakers.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Happy listening David!

- Jim

stlrman

Re: David's Song3's in Carpathian Elm Burl and Mahogany
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2018, 03:07 am »
Omg !!! Those are stunning !!!gorgeous !!!! :thumb:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2018, 03:17 am »
Yowza!!!  That is the stuff!   Gorgeous!

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2018, 01:31 pm »
Jim's cabinet work, as usual, has few peers and no superiors, but I have to say this particular combination looks a little disconnected to me somehow. I always enjoy seeing what comes out of the Salk shop though.

I met Jim at a show once and he was apologetic about his photography. I think it's pretty damn good.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2018, 02:06 pm »
Why am I always hungry after I look at Jim’s speakers?

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2018, 02:26 pm »
Because he uses walnut... and cherry... and maple....

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2018, 06:57 pm »
After years of shipping speakers done in every conceivable finish, we came to realize that personal taste plays a significant role in how people react to finishes.  We always strive to turn a customer's wishes into reality regardless of our own personal tastes (which would likely limit what we would do).  (Of course, if we know that the finish would be a disaster, we will try and talk the customer out of it.)

In the end, it is the customer who decides how we did transforming his ideas into reality.  And if the customer is happy, we are happy.

In this case, David emailed soon after the arrival of the speakers and commented, "My wife does not want me to hook them up, insisting we put them where everybody can see them.  The things are STUNNING."

That's all we needed to hear.

- Jim

mmurt

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2018, 08:42 pm »
I think these are F-in beautiful.  I love the use of the  mixed woods.  Imaginative, interesting and beautiful!  Nice job!
Mike

DFpritchard

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2018, 10:54 pm »
My objective in picking the combination of veneers was to do something interesting.  I think burl woods are fascinating and wanted to work with these.  I had originally picked cherry to go with the Carpathian burl wood but Jim suggested that the wood tones and grain in mahogany would be a better choice.  Once the cabinets were veneered and a couple of the finish coats done, Jim asked about the final top coat and adding a bit of dye to bring out some of the colors in the undyed burl wood.  I do like the overall effect, in part because the finish on the mahogany really sets off the Carpathian burl wood sides.  What does not show in Jim's photos is the speaker tops, which are also finished in Carpathian elm burl.  I think the burl tops tie the sides together nicely.  I listen with the speaker grills in place, so the mahogany does not show.  Jim's guidance on veneers, dye and finishes resulted in what, to my eye and taste, is a lovely pair of speakers. Being able to participate in the creation of the speakers (if only passively through the selection of veneer lots) is one of the reasons I chose Salk. 

By the way, the Song3s sound awfully good, too.  That's the other reason I went with Salk.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2018, 11:06 pm »
After years of shipping speakers done in every conceivable finish, we came to realize that personal taste plays a significant role in how people react to finishes.  We always strive to turn a customer's wishes into reality regardless of our own personal tastes (which would likely limit what we would do).  (Of course, if we know that the finish would be a disaster, we will try and talk the customer out of it.)

In the end, it is the customer who decides how we did transforming his ideas into reality.  And if the customer is happy, we are happy.

In this case, David emailed soon after the arrival of the speakers and commented, "My wife does not want me to hook them up, insisting we put them where everybody can see them.  The things are STUNNING."

That's all we needed to hear.

- Jim

Of course. No offense intended. I didn't mean to imply my taste was 'better' than anybody's; just sharing a personal reaction. I tend to favor 'understated' aesthetics. Anybody who's seen your speakers in the flesh knows your cabinet work takes a back seat to nobody's, and sonically can duke it out with much more expensive speakers.

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2018, 06:02 pm »
Of course. No offense intended. I didn't mean to imply my taste was 'better' than anybody's; just sharing a personal reaction. I tend to favor 'understated' aesthetics. Anybody who's seen your speakers in the flesh knows your cabinet work takes a back seat to nobody's, and sonically can duke it out with much more expensive speakers.

Absolutely no offense taken.  The comments just reminded me of an associate of ours.  He has a very narrowly-defined opinion of what a speaker should look like.  Sometimes we will have just finished a pair of speakers we are particularly proud of and he will come in and say he hates them.  We have to remind him that he is not the customer.  It all comes down to personal taste and the customer's opinion is the only one that matters.

- Jim

DGCURTIS36

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2018, 04:04 am »
Would love to see these in person. The pattern in the burl is just incredible!

ratso

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2018, 01:24 pm »
 :o