[request]How to install GIK products on plaster ceiling

Levi

Hi Brian,

Congrats on your new circle!

I am thinking about treating my plaster ceiling.  Can you please give us some how to's?

Thanks!
--Levi

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: [request]How to install GIK products on plaster ceiling
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2011, 01:36 pm »
Hi Brian,

Congrats on your new circle!

I am thinking about treating my plaster ceiling.  Can you please give us some how to's?

Thanks!
--Levi

Great topic and very timely Levi!

I am thinking about adding some diffusion to my plaster ceiling and would love to hear how to do it.

George

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2011, 01:55 pm »
Plaster can be tricky for any kind of mounting.  There are 2 ways that work pretty well.

- Add a ledger board or boards across the ceiling so you can span through the plaster and lath into multiple studs.  Hang any treatments from those ledgers.

- Can't remember the name right now, but they make a type of hanger that uses adhesive instead of a toggle bolt. You drill a hole and then fill with their adhesive and the hangar.  It actually works out into the plaster and the backer to effectively become part of the structure.

Bryan

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2011, 04:00 pm »
Thanks Brian.  It looks like there are no easy way of doing it. 

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2011, 04:14 pm »
I have been wondering about this as well

- Can't remember the name right now, but they make a type of hanger that uses adhesive instead of a toggle bolt. You drill a hole and then fill with their adhesive and the hangar.  It actually works out into the plaster and the backer to effectively become part of the structure.

Bryan
Would love to find out more about this product. If you find the info please let us know

Thanks and congrats on the new board!

Jason

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:00 pm »
Not finding it but I know some people in the UK have used it before.  Will keep looking.

On another note, something like this is more standard and can easily be DIY'd.  The washer helps to spread the load over a larger area and keep the plaster from shifting/cracking.

Bryan

highfilter

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2011, 06:17 pm »
I have used the above method (picture shown above by bpape), and it works great. I mounted two 242 panels on the ceiling and it works great! I believe diffusion panels would work without drilling or poking holes, as they are very light weight and could be mounted in other ways - but haven't do so myself.

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2011, 09:00 pm »
I have used the above method (picture shown above by bpape), and it works great. I mounted two 242 panels on the ceiling and it works great! I believe diffusion panels would work without drilling or poking holes, as they are very light weight and could be mounted in other ways - but haven't do so myself.

Can you please post some pictures.  I want to see where your mounting points. 

highfilter

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2011, 03:35 pm »
Here's how I did it. Just used some metal wire to create loops and it turned out like this!

Cheap solution and they make a great improvement on reflective high freq. etc.  :)

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2011, 03:47 pm »
Nice! 

Thanks for the pictures. 

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2011, 06:00 pm »
Here's how I did it. Just used some metal wire to create loops and it turned out like this!

Cheap solution and they make a great improvement on reflective high freq. etc.  :)

Great pictures of how to do hang 2 panels with 6 hooks. I try to explain this all the time and never seem to say it correctly. I hope you don't mind me downloading your pictures to send to customers if need be. (?)

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

highfilter

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2011, 07:23 pm »
Great pictures of how to do hang 2 panels with 6 hooks. I try to explain this all the time and never seem to say it correctly. I hope you don't mind me downloading your pictures to send to customers if need be. (?)

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

Hi Glenn,

of course you can use them. GIK has been a great help to me, so feel free.

sidders

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:54 pm »
Thought I would complete this thread with some obvious information. :D

http://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/acoustic-panel-ceiling-cloud-mounting-brackets/

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor