DIY Speaker options for large room

Folsom

DIY Speaker options for large room
« on: 3 Jan 2014, 10:17 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm trying to help a friend decide on some equipment. It looks like the general build will have no more than 15w.

He's moving into an A frame smaller place, but due to the design the room is pretty large since it's all open. It seems like a great opportunity for some high efficiency speakers that can rock the place. I've been toying around with OB, but not stuck on it. Either which way I believe a lot of the appeal is in the DIY aspect. The budget isn't high at all, unfortunately.

One thing I've looked at is the Pi 4 speaker. Also considered Visaton B200 (not that I know where to buy them?). I realize a subwoofer may be a good idea, as well, but I'm not overally concerned with narrowing that down. I'm pretty sure it won't be of any trouble to find an on sale plate amp and pair it with whatever, who cares.

Thoughts? I'd love to tell him to scoop the Klipsch La Scala's off Craigslist but he won't go for that much $ since they are certainly overpriced.

mcgsxr

Re: DIY Speaker options for large room
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2014, 11:49 pm »
The Visaton b200 (and some of the other Visaton drivers) can be purchased from Solen (www.solen.ca) in Canada, and I am sure they would ship to the US.  I used them on OB for 7-8 years, and enjoyed them very much.  I added a woofer per side and biamped the setup (plate amp mono for 2 subs, single ended EL84 tube amp for the b200's).

There is also a plan on Solen for a sealed b200 + woofer that I think can be driven by a single lower powered amp.

I know that lots of folks are also happy with various implementations of the Alpair drivers too.  And of course Fostex.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2014, 12:02 am »
These can play at high volume with low distortion and with a huge sweet spot. Maximum sound quality for the dollar.
If you want to go larger, wait a little bit and the 15" SEOS waveguides and woofers along with the kits will be available soon.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-series-kits/fusion12-kit.html
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2014, 12:21 am »
Raja those look VERY promising. The low end extension is great.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2014, 12:32 am »
I'm building a pair with the SEOS18's and TD15M's but they're not one of the kits. I'll have to learn how to implement an active crossover. :scratch:

In contrast, the kits should be relatively easy to assemble. The crossovers are already designed and the parts are there. 98db sensitivity :o. You can't beat the price.

..Roy
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2014, 02:26 am by rajacat »

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2014, 12:33 am »
These would work well when pair with a sub if they are still available, great price too!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116212.msg1216584#msg1216584

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2014, 12:42 am »
Klipschorns.  104db@1 watt will fill the largest room with power to spare.

May need to tweak the crossover to smooth out the sound.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2014, 01:34 am »
I just got parts from Nick's 4Pi speakers.... 15" JBL midbass, B&C compression drivers, xovers and some nice copper binding posts! Price is quite a bit higher than the kit rajacat linked but the idea looks about the same.

If you spring for a speaker with the JBL midbass units (at $500/ea they aren't cheap) you won't regret it. I have heard them at mgalusha's and they are some of the most dynamic speakers I've ever heard. If you like scaring women and small children you'll like them even more.  :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2014, 11:58 pm »
Well it looks like it might end up being some Eminence Alpha 15a's paired with some OB drivers of sorts.

What do you guys think for a pair of full range drivers around 95db 1w/1m area? Something to play some heavy sludge music with. The Hawthornes are a great option if they come up again. But as is I'm not going to get worried. I think any drivers at $150 a piece or less will be a pleasing price point. (Don't get me wrong, I want to do $1k a pop Pi 4's but it's not my money for this)

Something that rolls off well around 150-200hz would be best. That way I only have to make a crossover for the Alphas.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:16 am »
The Hawthornes are a great option if they come up again.
Open baffle is great for a large room, and anybody that knows me, knows that I'm heavily into Hawthorne.
So yea...consider this my shill post of the year.  :lol:
They're in the high nineties for sensitivity, and can get the job done on a budget if need-be.

Bob

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:48 am »
I remember conversing with you Bob, about them before.

Did you ever redo the capacitors? It's a great upgrade. I've got a little secret now you can PM me about, for a possible uber cheap upgrade for the caps.

Right now at their price I think it's going to be a hold off until some used ones come up.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2014, 01:20 am »
I added some caps to attenuate the highs a bit, but not by much. But that was an addition to the circuit, not an upgrade to the existing network.
But you've got my curiosity up about the "little secret", so your inbox should ring here shortly.

Bob

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2014, 04:42 am »
Check out the new Omega DIY drivers.

The DIY version of the RS5 is about 94.5 dB and price is probably $150ish for a pair.

I've heard a lot of full range drivers and the Omegas are really good, the value for the money is way up there.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2014, 05:11 am »
Thanks. Made a post. Budget is a bit higher, however it doesn't matter if the next jump is out of budget.