Good & Bad News for 300B Lovers

Filament

Re: Bad News for 300B Lovers
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:41 pm »
Time marches on....where will the next source of new production 300B tubes emerge from?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #21 on: 2 Jun 2012, 03:51 am »

D.D.,
Are your BT and Psvanes more similar than different?

Hi Q.E.:  Thanks for your impressions re: the various 300B's you've enjoyed. Sorry to take so long to get to your question about the Treasures vs. the Psvanes. In my application, there is actually a very noticable difference between those two 300B's. The Treasures offer a more laid-back presentation while the Psvanes offer considerably more extension with both lows and highs and a much more vivid presentation. Nice improvements in terms of sense of space around instruments and better detail. Much more dynamic-sounding with the Psvanes. They both completely outclass the stock EH gold grids the unit ships with. The Neo-Classic 300B, like the other Manley pre I've owned, is not the most " euphonic " tube preamp to begin with and I can sure appreciate how someone looking for that sound would gravitate to the Treasures but to my ears, the Psvanes are more enjoyable -a fun, lively listen. I've done a fair bit of tube rolling trying to see how much performance I can squeeze out of this thing and I think the tube combo I'm using now really works well. Actually, to be completely honest, I'm thrilled !  :D Listening to A Trick Of The Tail in SACD right now and it does sound mighty fine....

D.D.

gsm18439

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jun 2012, 07:04 am »
Although it is in a different league pricewise, the Takatsuki TA300b is amazing. In order of my preference: Takatsuki > Sophia Royal Princess > Shuguang Black Treasure. This is also the relative cost from most highest to lowest. There is a review of the Takatsukis that originated in HiFidelity of Poland that is reprinted in 6Moons. IMHO, the review is spot-on.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jun 2012, 11:05 pm »
Sure, EML vs. Black Treasure. I own both of those so let me take a stab at it.

Keep in mind that I use a single 300B per mono amplifier to drive a speaker, and you will use yours in that awesome preamp that you bought recently. 8). There could be big differences the way the tube sounds between those two applications. Here goes.

The major difference between the EML and the Black Treasure to my ears is that the BT is polite and hifi sounding, and it seems to imply a perfect hifi projection of what should be happening, where as the EML just makes it happen.  The EML has a larger, more dynamic and lifelike sound to it and it takes much better control of the speaker. They are both similarly balanced although the EML has better control of the frequency extremes in a non hifi way. Again, this is what I observed in my single ended (single 300B) power amp driving my speakers. Not everyone is going to agree with me on the differences between these two tubes if they have different kinds of amplifiers, but I have had people agree with me comparing the two tubes in my amp.

Of all the 300Bs I have tried, my favorites in order of best to worst are :

1. Western Electric (totally different thing going on here, but number 1 because of the most addictive sound. Sadly gone.)

2. EML (Best value, best overall sound)

( a tie for third and fourth place,)
3. Genelex 300B (surprisingly good balanced sound and dynamic, what's not to like?)
4. Black Treasure (good, but too expensive for what it is)

5. Valve Art (similar to BT but not nearly as refined and weaker bass)

6. JJ (similar dynamics to EML but too strident and etchy by comparison)

7. TJ Mesh (these would tie with EML but they have been unreliable for me)

8. Full Music S.E. (these would also come in around number 3 but unreliable)
1. Western Electric (totally different thing going on here, but number 1 because of the most addictive sound. Sadly gone.)
Great and objective review from 300B tubes, Thanks.
Do you think the new 300B Western Electric production in 2013 will be this good??
The price is 900dollars/matched pair, Gulp!
http://tubedepot.com/we-300b.html

jazzcourier

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jun 2012, 11:18 pm »
So......Are you saying i should wait and retube my VAC Renaissance 70/70 mk3 with these new Western Electric?
Two matched quads at 3600.00....That is what i paid for the amp! This is a magnificent amplifier and might deserve those.Any other suggestions for this amp? The stock tubes sound very impressive and the current set of eight sound like they have some life left............

Quiet Earth

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jun 2012, 12:17 am »
I would not wait for Western Electric tubes to be made again.

More than three years ago, I "bought" my second pair of WE tubes from tubedepot. What this meant back then was they held my money and kept my place in line with other people waiting for the tubes too.  After nearly three years of hopeful waiting, Tubedepot finally decided to send the money back and just take verbal orders. I would imagine that this is just a wish list because every year WE says the factory will open in another six months to a year. I don't think it will happen but you never know.

If anyone has any information about the relocation of WE, please let us know.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 6 Jun 2012, 12:48 am »
So......Are you saying i should wait and retube my VAC Renaissance 70/70 mk3 with these new Western Electric?
Two matched quads at 3600.00....That is what i paid for the amp! This is a magnificent amplifier and might deserve those.Any other suggestions for this amp? The stock tubes sound very impressive and the current set of eight sound like they have some life left............
Iam not tube expert, but I know the production cost of any valve is very low, example: the Fender purchased preamp tubes about 0,50 dollar in China.
So I am against these prices artificially inflated  to the Hi-End audiophile market, but in case you feel rich... and invite me to listen these wonders.

Some tubes prices that are not exploited by greedy middlemen:
6C33=10 euros in Russia.
GM70= 17euros in Russia.
300BEH= 70dollars in Russia.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2012, 12:53 am »
I would not wait for Western Electric tubes to be made again.

More than three years ago, I "bought" my second pair of WE tubes from tubedepot. What this meant back then was they held my money and kept my place in line with other people waiting for the tubes too.  After nearly three years of hopeful waiting, Tubedepot finally decided to send the money back and just take verbal orders. I would imagine that this is just a wish list because every year WE says the factory will open in another six months to a year. I don't think it will happen but you never know.

If anyone has any information about the relocation of WE, please let us know.
I remember in the final 90 years Westrex already promisse this new plant, but it do not prevent Westrex to release a run of new tubes(300B, 437, 212E and other) at the time.
The 300B price was the same(500/each or 900/pair), looks these tubes are all sold out now.
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2012, 10:01 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

Lou62

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jun 2012, 08:10 pm »
Having finally moved into the tube amp area with the purchase of a 300B SET integrated amp (8w per side) a month ago I can only wonder why I did not do this much earlier  The previous threads have lots of good suggestions on favorites for 300B upgrades. My amp came with Shuguang 300B-98B's and while the sound is amazing, it's time to try something else.

Has anyone tried or seen any reviews on the Psvane WE300B replicas that came out earlier this year?

Jeffy

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jun 2012, 09:33 pm »
I have heard most of the 300B's and the best are from Japan. They are called Takatsuki and cost about 1800.00 per pair and worth every penny.

richidoo

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jun 2012, 10:56 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:01 pm »
After reading the post 14 from Quieth Earth, I impressed with EmissonLabs 300B, it is a fine tube plant with a informative site, no jewelry prices and a great sound from 300B.
http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML300B.htm
And this 300B EmissionLabs tube exist right now, they had a entire line of 300B similar tubes.
AD1-mesh
2A3-S
2A3-Mesh
45-mesh
45-Globe Project
50 RELEASE IN FEB 2012
300B
300B-mesh
300B-XLS
320B-XLS
520B

P.S.> The EmissionLabs 300B price is 350euros/pair (export vat free) at Jacmusic site.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2012, 01:30 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:56 pm »
The Takatsuki site show a hospital grade factory=hi production cost.
http://www.takatsuki-denki.co.jp/index.html

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2012, 05:05 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

rhandmj

« Reply #34 on: 7 Dec 2012, 01:03 am »
To me, the pinnacle of the 300B was the AVVT mesh. I have two pairs left, never to be parted with. Sonically absolutely unique and thoroughly magic.

Then there is the Takatsuki. A beautiful sounding tube.

Those are the pinnacles.

There is no bad news here. I had ignored Chinese tubes for a decade. With reason. But I tried a couple of the Shuguang Treasures and was shocked at how good they were (CV-181 and 5881). And believe me - I have a massive NOS stock, and have tried just about every NOS variant known to exist. These aren't ashamed to be in that company.

Moving on to the cheapest Psvane 300B, I certainly can't put it in the company of the Takatsuki, or the best EML's, but it is a very fine tube and thoroughly musical. A bargain. I will try the Psvane 300B replica soon.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Re: Good & Bad News for 300B Lovers
« Reply #35 on: 6 Feb 2013, 02:49 pm »
Just found a new(for me) chinese 300B manufacturer(Create Audio):
http://www.synergyhifi.com/xproduct.asp?pid=159
The 300B tube is mesh plate, 40W plate, at $600/matched pair, unfortunately the glass seems smoked, which prevent to see the cathode in working and its light.
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2013, 01:32 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #36 on: 6 Feb 2013, 08:34 pm »
After reading the post 14 from Quieth Earth, I impressed with EmissonLabs 300B, it is a fine tube plant with a informative site, no jewelry prices and a great sound from 300B.

I have actually gone a step further and installed EML 300B's in my Manley preamp thanks to Quiet Earth. Big improvement in every respect over the Psvane and Shuguang Treasure tubes I'd been using. Plus, after the recent price increases from Psvane, the EML's are actually substantially less expensive making them a no-brainer. How can you lose? :dunno:

D.D. 

gsm18439

« Reply #37 on: 6 Feb 2013, 10:00 pm »

SET Man

« Reply #38 on: 6 Feb 2013, 10:51 pm »
Hey!

Hmmm.... more 300B tubes coming off the lines, eh?

Maybe the subject headline should be change to "Good news...." now  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 7 Feb 2013, 01:36 am »
Hey!

Hmmm.... more 300B tubes coming off the lines, eh?

Maybe the subject headline should be change to "Good news...." now  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
Changed to ''Good & Bad News'' to a more positive feeling on the subject.
Thanks for the suggestion.