Found an interesting link about speakers...

Freo-1

Found an interesting link about speakers...
« on: 29 Apr 2012, 08:34 pm »
Found this link about speakers that are designed to work with low wattage amps: 

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/HES.htm

Some good stuff here

JoshK

Re: Found an interesting link about speakers...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:06 pm »
Good stuff!  I like his analysis....no BS approach.   A lot of old-school HE designs have ragged curves, its good that there are some that don't.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:29 pm »
Excellent quote from the above.... "Large cones = minor cone movement and reduced distortion. "  Way too often underlooked.  There simply is no better way to reduce total system distortion.  Which is why 6" two ways can never do what a large woofer 2 way can, and sound so different from an electrostatic.

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:47 pm »
Good data on the woofer cone size. 

I suspect that the small narrow towers that use magnesium drivers do so to reduce the overall distortion (I'm guessing here). 

I owned Acoustat Spectra 33's (ESL) for years, and they were very clear.  The bass from them drove me crazy, however.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm »
Excellent quote from the above.... "Large cones = minor cone movement and reduced distortion. "  Way too often underlooked.  There simply is no better way to reduce total system distortion.  Which is why 6" two ways can never do what a large woofer 2 way can, and sound so different from an electrostatic.

Like the muscle cars say, no substitute for displacement.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 11:47 pm »
Like the muscle cars say, no substitute for displacement.

In the Low Wattage case, the displacement comes more from the speakers as opposed to the amps.   :lol:

Filament

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2012, 07:38 pm »
Nice website!