Recommend good Windham Hill CDs please

GCS

« on: 7 Apr 2004, 04:27 am »
I have a few of the Windham Hill CDs and personally I really like what's on them.  Can you guys recommend some other good CDs from Windham Hill (I prefer compilation stuff with music from various artists).

I have the First 10 years 2 CD set and love it.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:59 am »
I have the Wind and Wood Cd which is a tribute to Taylor guitars (I think I have that right) which is a comp of artists playing Taylor's.  Many good players for you to listen to and further check out their personal Cd's.

Thump553

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2004, 12:51 pm »
I would definitely recommend the late Michael Hedges for acoustic guitar, and I'd start with Aerial Boundaries.  For piano, I like George Winston-my favorites are Autumn and Winter.  Winston's music is enjoyable to me, but many piano aficionados decry his style.

Winter Solstice is another compilation that is as good as the one you mentioned.

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2004, 01:20 pm »
I second Michael Hedges. Include Breakfast in the Fields in your list

GCS

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2004, 02:04 pm »
Cool, thanks fellas.

I love George Winston's stuff and have a few of his CDs.

Michael Hedges is a definite look into as his song on the 2 disc WH collection I have is one of my favorites (I forget the name of the tune though).

Thanks again!!

Greg

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2004, 02:36 pm »
It is not on WH, but if you are looking for acoustic guitar check out Phil Keaggy.  I'll post 2 titles I really like when I get home....I just can't remember $hit about instrumental CD's.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2004, 02:44 pm »
Spyra Gyro - Got the Magic

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Windham Hill
« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2004, 06:23 pm »
You might want to try the group  Nightnoise  "Something of Time " or " At the End of the Evening "  I only have these on vinyl but I'm sure they are out on CD.  These are 2 of my favorite albums and I always find myself spinning these until the late hours of the morning.

DTB300

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2004, 08:41 pm »
I have just picked up the Windham Hill Best of Chill and the Sanctuary CD's and really like the music on them.  Many different songs from many different artists.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:02 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
It is not on WH, but if you are looking for acoustic guitar check out Phil Keaggy.  I'll post 2 titles I really like when I get home....I just can't remember $hit about instrumental CD's.

One Keaggy CD that seems reminiscent of Hedges (at least to my ears) is "Acoustic Sketches"--
http://www.guitar9.com/acousticsketchestrk.html
It IS a totally instrumental CD.
I also have "Beyond Nature" but have never liked it as much.
One thing about Keaggy is that he shifted into Christian music after his years with Glass Harp; I'm not sure those were his best years.

BTW, I just learned there's a follow-up to "Sketches"----
http://www.philkeaggy.com/music/discography/sketches2.html

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2004, 11:33 am »
Quote from: MaxCast

Damn Max,
it's REALLY taking a long time to get home!!!! :D
Actually, I wouldn't mind getting some more Keaggy myself, but am unsure which ones are purely guitar-playing.  (I'm not into Christian music, so I'd like to avoid sappy vocal stuff).

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Guitar only
« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2004, 01:59 pm »
Phil has a CD out which is probably 7 -10 years released called " The Master & Musician " which is all guitar with no vocals which truly is one great guitar recording. You might want to pick it up.

Have a Happy Easter,
 Bill

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2004, 05:11 pm »
Sorry Tonto, I got stuck in a bar on the way home :D

First, a correction to my first post.  Sounds of Wood & Steel on WH is the title.  Lots of great pieces from guys I am not framiliar with.

Second, the Keaggy cd's.  I have three and all are great and instumental as I believe most of his stuff is.  No sappy Christian music here.  Just some really great guitar playing.
Beyond Nature, The Master and the Musician and Lights of Madrid.
I also have Hymn Songs that I don't find as good as the other three.

ton1313

« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2004, 11:01 pm »
All three volumes of Sounds of Wood & Steel are excellent.

I purchased Michael Spriggs - without words, great CD. He had a tune on SoW&S Vol. 3 called Trio that I really enjoyed.

byteme

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2004, 01:24 am »
Captian Humble turned me onto David Arkenstone and I picked up Return of the Guardians and In the Wake of the Wind.  I think they're WH labels.  Good stuff.  I've got to get more of his music.  Really cool instrumental.

GCS

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2004, 04:42 pm »
Quote from: byteme
Captian Humble turned me onto David Arkenstone and I picked up Return of the Guardians and In the Wake of the Wind.  I think they're WH labels.  Good stuff.  I've got to get more of his music.  Really cool instrumental.

Actually he is a Narada artist.  I picked up one of his CDs as well which is also quite good!  I have the Narada Childhood remembered CD as well and really like many of the tunes on there also.

FYI I picked up many of the titles mentioned in this thread but have yet to have 5 mins of listening time.  I hope to do some serious CD listening this weekend if I can.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Greg