When Listening to Beethoven or Coltrane

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
When Listening to Beethoven or Coltrane
« on: 4 Oct 2010, 06:44 am »
Or watching Fellini, Malick, Kubrick, or Wes Anderson, do you ever notice that your workaday perceptions expand and you feel love and hope for all of humanity?

Delta Wave

Re: When Listening to Beethoven or Coltrane
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2010, 09:41 am »
There was a study done several years ago about the human IQ actually increasing (temporarily) while listening to classical music. I imagine the same applies for any medium where you actually have to excercise the ol' grey matter. I'm pretty sure your IQ decreases while listening to rap or pop music... I AM sure it applies to me, bad "music" makes my brain hurt (as does conversing with stupid people).  :duh:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2010, 12:40 am »
Didn't really mean it as a way to denigrate others, but rather a way to celebrate our differences and commonality. 

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2010, 01:27 am »
There was a study done several years ago about the human IQ actually increasing (temporarily) while listening to classical music. I imagine the same applies for any medium where you actually have to excercise the ol' grey matter. I'm pretty sure your IQ decreases while listening to rap or pop music... I AM sure it applies to me, bad "music" makes my brain hurt (as does conversing with stupid people).  :duh:

Ah, that's not very PC of you!!!  :icon_lol:

but I do find that certain musical genres revolve around creating unresolved tension while other forms allow one to relax and open up.  Death Metal comes to mind but there are also classical avantgarde composers who do a fairly good job as well.

When listening to assaultive music it's usually when i'm in a bad mood and want to put my fist through the wall...while such definately provokes/stimulates a certain emotional response it doesn't imo lend itself to "clear" thinking and desire for general well being toward my neighbor  :icon_lol:

« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2010, 06:10 am by KnowTalent »

Delta Wave

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2010, 06:53 am »
I apologize for that, I meant Intellectually Challenged.  :green:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2010, 03:57 am »
Or watching Fellini, Malick, Kubrick, or Wes Anderson, do you ever notice that your workaday perceptions expand and you feel love and hope for all of humanity?

agreed! good jazz or classical... Particularly if you are holding a glass of wine or ... single malt!  :D