Archival backup of CDs

Redbeard

Archival backup of CDs
« Reply #20 on: 1 Aug 2003, 07:53 pm »
My first and only experience with Nero was ripping a badly scratched copy of Abbey Road.  Nero ripped the CD successfully, and told me that everything went OK (no errors), but the copy I burned had numerous pops in almost all of the tracks.

When I ripped the same CD with EAC (using track mode, not image), there were multiple ECC errors on almost all of the tracks.  EAC performed exhaustive retries on each error, and took several hours to finish.  Even then, there were two tracks with unrecoverable errors.  I then tried several things, including automotive paint swirl remover (not recommended) and finally recovered those tracks without errors.   The copy that I ended up with is perfect in every respect.

I didn't spend time fiddling with Nero because it didn't have a fraction of the user controllable settings that EAC has.  Also, Nero didn't detect any of the errors that EAC did.  

I am guessing here, but I think Nero relies on your CDP to flag and correct C2 errors.  My CDP reports that it supports C2 correction, but the EAC utility that tests your ECC logic indicated that mine did not report or correct known C2 errors.  When that occurs, you setup EAC to bypass the C2 logic in your CDP and correction is done by the EAC software.

If you are ripping perfect CDs Nero will do a fine job.  But if not...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Archival backup of CDs
« Reply #21 on: 2 Aug 2003, 03:00 am »
Hmmm...that hasn't been my experience w/Nero at all.  I did initially have some trouble reading some very badly damaged discs, but once I replaced the 4 year old burner with a nicer new one I haven't had any problems.   Granted, I don't have a lot of discs that are in bad shape, as I'm pretty careful (hence my desire to back them all up while they're nice  :wink: ).

Nero has FAR more tweakability and options than I ever use; I guess either I just don't need the bells 'n' whistles or I'm too lazy to spec it all out. :oops:

Still, I'll looking into the Exact Copy thingy.  Can you pretty much buy it anywhere?

BTW, Redbeard, have you done extensive backing up of your collection?  I haven't really talked to many people who've gone to the trouble.

Redbeard

Archival backup of CDs
« Reply #22 on: 4 Aug 2003, 09:47 pm »
EAC is shareware.  You can download it from the Internet, and then send the author $25 if you find it worthwhile.  The CD writing capabilities of EAC are somewhat rudimentary, but they get the job done.  Reading damaged CDs is where it really shines.

I am not familiar enough with Nero to compare the capabilities of the two programs.  In fact, I believe a new version came out since my initial experience with it.  It would be useful to hear from someone who has experience with both programs.

I have backed up all of the CDs that I listen to often, but not the dogs.  My collection is rather small, so this isn't much of an accomplishment.

cheers,
-david-

Sa-dono

Archival backup of CDs
« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2003, 10:19 pm »
I would say that EAC is the best program to read the tracks. Nero is my prefered program in actually burning the CDs though.