Best of 2006 Lists

AB

Best of 2006 Lists
« on: 31 Dec 2006, 10:19 pm »
Neko Case and Joanna Newsome seem to be on just about every list. Not really but they should be.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/bests/2006.shtml

arthurs

Re: Best of 2006 Lists
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2006, 11:30 pm »
I'm just not sure about Joanna Newsom.....I haven't pulled the trigger to buy it yet, but have borrowed a copy and am really torn by her music, alternate moments of both loving it and being completely annoyed by it....interesting artist for sure....

chadh

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2007, 12:39 am »

I'm not sure whether I should be disturbed or not: I don't own a single one of the albums listed on that page.

I think the only *new* album I got all year came for Christmas:  JJ Cale and Eric Clapton, "The Road to Escondido."  It was only released in November.

It was nice to see Ornette Coleman get some kudos, though!  I might go and pick up his album ("Sound Grammar").  And every now and then, I think to myself I should pick up the Bod Dylan offering ("Modern Times").  Any comments, positive or negative, about these two?

Chad

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2007, 01:22 am »
"Sound Grammar" is a solid outing for Ornette...I really love "Sleep Talking" off that disc....can't comment on Dylan, never spoke to me musically so I don't own any....

Skynyrd

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2007, 08:44 pm »
Chad,

Just picked up "Modern Times";  first couple of listens, and Dylan's voice is raspy, music is well done--not great like I consider "Blood on the Tracks" or "Blonde on Blonde" or that live 1975 doulbe disc.

Top album of 2006 for me was Derek Trucks Bands "Songlines."  I prefer the live DVD "Songlines Live" even more.  Want a great band--just add a Burbridge; Kofi, in this case.
Kofi Burbridge is Oteil Burbridge's brother.  Oteil is the bass player for the Allman Brothers Band, Kofi is the keyboardist/flutist/vocalist in Derek Trucks band.  The Burbridge boys are each very talented.
Great stuff on the "Songlines" recordings.  Rock and roll meets jazz and it works.  If you liked the Mahavishnu Orchestra (check my spelling!), you'll likely enjoy the Derek Trucks Band.

No more expensive audio!!

Skynyrd

Thump553

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2007, 12:53 am »
Songlines is a great album, not what I expected from what is commonly labeled as a "jam-band" album.

Joanna Newsom?  I've listened to both Ys and her previous album, but it was tough to do.  To me, she is the flavor of the month for critics and fans who must hop on the latest trend.

I had never heard The Decemberists before I heard "The Crane Wife" and was frankly blown away by that album.  Definately a great album that I will still be listening to twenty years from now.  My favorite new album, and new group (to me) for 2006.

gitarretyp

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2007, 03:32 am »
Songlines is a great album, not what I expected from what is commonly labeled as a "jam-band" album.

Joanna Newsom?  I've listened to both Ys and her previous album, but it was tough to do.  To me, she is the flavor of the month for critics and fans who must hop on the latest trend.

I had never heard The Decemberists before I heard "The Crane Wife" and was frankly blown away by that album.  Definately a great album that I will still be listening to twenty years from now.  My favorite new album, and new group (to me) for 2006.

If you get a chance, you should catch the decemberists live. They're currently on tour and put on a great show.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:26 am »
Neko Case and Joanna Newsome seem to be on just about every list. Not really but they should be.

Neko Case deserves to be on everyone's list. :)  Fox Confessor is a brilliant album, certainly one of the best of '06.

gitarretyp

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2007, 07:18 am »

Neko Case deserves to be on everyone's list. :)  Fox Confessor is a brilliant album, certainly one of the best of '06.

I agree  :thumb:. She's also another good act to catch live.

mcrespo71

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2007, 05:17 pm »
As I said towards the beginning of last year, Arctic Monkeys- Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not.

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2007, 04:29 am »
 Bob Seger's new disc is not bad!!!! :D :D always did like his stuff though 8)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2007, 04:39 am »
From that link, I own these and like them very much:

-- Eye To The Telescope by KT Tunstall

-- The Greatest by Cat Power (not to be confused with a "greatest hits" album)

-- The Eraser by Thom Yorke

-- Black Holes & Revelations by Muse

Good stuff!  :banana piano:

Vinnie

smccull

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2007, 04:48 am »
My pics would be (in no particular order)....

Modern Times                  Bob Dylan
Personal File                    Johnny Cash
All the Roadrunning           Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris
House on Hill                   Brad Mehldau
Stoa                              Nick Bartsch's Ronin
Till the Sun Turns Black     Ray LaMontagne

jhm731

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2007, 07:58 am »
Pal Motian- Garden of Eden
Joe Locke- Rev-elation
Mulgrew Miller- Live at the Kennedy Center Vol.I
Manu Katché-Neighbourhood
Tomasz Stanko Quartet-Lontano

gary

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2007, 06:08 pm »
I haven't listened to Neko Case, I really need to pick up her CD, but the backing band on most of the tracks on it is the Sadies. They're a canadian roots/country/guitar kind of band, they're pretty amazing and definitely worth checking out (even better to see live, if you happen to live near the border).

I just got the Cat Power album, and so far I like it a lot, although my favorite release of 2006 was probably the Eraser by Thom Yorke. It's gotta be the most overlooked and under-appreciated record in years. Beyond being a great musician and songwriter Thom is an amazing sound artist, for lack of a better description, and anyone who has a decent 2-channel system definitely needs to own this album.

Gary

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2007, 07:10 pm »
My vote for best alb of 06 is Death Cab for Cutie - Plans.  I haven't liked an album this well (start to finish) in years.  My runner up, coming from a huge Tool fan, is Tool - 10,000 Days.  That should say alot about DCFC.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2007, 07:35 am »
Plans is a great one.  I pretty much like all DCfC's stuff.

gitarretyp

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2007, 05:30 pm »
My favorites in no particular order:
Post-War by M. Ward
Fox Confessor by Neko Case
Crane Wife by The Decemberists
Black Holes by Muse
Plans by Death Cab for Cutie
Songlines by The Derek Trucks Band
Eye To The Telescope by KT Tunstall (this one was released a couple of years ago but just gained popularity this year)