What's up with Pandora?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
What's up with Pandora?
« on: 8 Mar 2012, 09:12 pm »
I type in American roots music and I get 6 Canadians and an Irishman. Geez.

Doc

electricbear

Re: What's up with Pandora?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2012, 10:22 pm »
Don't most Americans have some Irish in their roots?

youravhandyman

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2012, 10:37 pm »
Isn't everyone Irish on the 17th?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2012, 10:58 pm »
Everyone but Italians.

Doc

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2012, 12:32 am »
I started a Metallica station, and I get so many damned Disturbed songs it's not funny.  I despise Disturbed.  I thumbs down it every time, but apparently I have to thumbs down every Disturbed track written.  Pisses me off.

I started a Led Zeppelin station.  Without exagerrating, I'd say there's 1 Zeppelin song out of every 25 songs.  I really dig Bob Marley, but should he be on a Zeppelin station?  I know there's the Tori Amos connection to Robert Plant, but should her songs without him be on that station too?

I'm just waiting for Jay-Z to show up on the Metallica station.  That would be interesting. 

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2012, 03:55 am »

I'm just waiting for Jay-Z to show up on the Metallica station.  That would be interesting.

:lol:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:23 am »
I've never done well with a one-band Pandora station. However, using the Pandora app, I can go in and add other names to the original channel and make Pandora more readily understand what I want to hear.

For instance, I named a station "Dire Straits". Try it for a while; you'll hear what it plays. So, via the app, I entered these groups as subsets of the Dire Straits station: UFO, Triumph, Pink Floyd, Rainbow, Fleetwood Mac, Ted Nugent, Kansas, Queen, Chevelle, and Alice Cooper. The app also tracks everything you rate as a "thumbs up", and adds that to the math. Pandora then finds these "types" of music and plays some pretty cool stuff.

For me, Pandora kinda rocks because it actually seems to learn through its cool Music Genome thing. Give it time, and try and teach it a few things about what you like. I have, and it's worked out pretty well.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:29 am »
I started a Metallica station, and I get so many damned Disturbed songs it's not funny.  I despise Disturbed.  I thumbs down it every time, but apparently I have to thumbs down every Disturbed track written.  Pisses me off.

I started a Led Zeppelin station.  Without exagerrating, I'd say there's 1 Zeppelin song out of every 25 songs.  I really dig Bob Marley, but should he be on a Zeppelin station?  I know there's the Tori Amos connection to Robert Plant, but should her songs without him be on that station too?

They tell you in their service agreement that you can't make a station play just one artist; actually, the more additional seeds similar to Zep that you add, the more LZ songs will play, too.  That's just the way it works.

trackball02

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:13 am »
I listen to both Pandora and Mog and prefer to listen to Mog. Easy to make a one artist station and the sound quality is much better on Mog.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2012, 08:02 am »
I personally prefer Spotify its like having an Itunes account with any song I could ever think of on it.  MOG has great sound quality but I find it impossible to earn more music points.  For sure I enjoy both more than Pandora, Pandora does expose me to a lot of music I otherwise wouldn't listen too though.  Sometimes when it gets thin Pandora's suggestions are a bit weak.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:06 pm »
I've only started playing around with Pandora recently... It's obvious they have some heavily biased/weighting for particular artists. For example, if you put Brian Eno into a mix of artists, with the idea of fleshing out the range, Eno will absolutely wipe out the weighting of the other artists.

OTOH, I started up a One Band Station (Morphine), and absolutely love the results...

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:28 am »
They tell you in their service agreement that you can't make a station play just one artist; actually, the more additional seeds similar to Zep that you add, the more LZ songs will play, too.  That's just the way it works.

I wasn't looking for Zeppelin exclusively, nor Metallica, nor Pearl Jam when I started those stations.  I was looking for those genres, so to speak, but with an emphasis on the primary band.  Except for Disturbed, the Metallica station works out pretty well for the most part.  The Pearl Jam ones does too, as it seems to play a lot of the grunge music from their era - Nirvana, STP, etc.

The Zeppelin station kills me though.  About a month or so ago, I had the Zeppelin station on for about 2 hours.  Not a single Zeppelin song after the very first song!  A co-worker even commented 'How do they call this a Zeppelin station if they haven't played a single Zeppelin song yet?'  He came in about 2 songs after the first song and was their the rest of the time.

I'd really like the option to eliminate a handful of artists all together from a station.  I think that would make it far easier.

I've played around and added artists to stations I've created.  Not sure it helped all that much, but I don't think it hurt any.  Except when I added Tool to a station - it added so much progressive metal and I guess I'd call it dark metal that I forgot what the station initially was.  Had to delete that station altogether and start over, as eliminating Tool from the artists on that one did nothing but piss me off even more. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:33 am »
Actually, AOL/CBS Radio does have several exclusive artist stations.  Not that I'm trying to prove that I was looking for a station that was all Metallica, Pearl Jam, etc.  To be honest, I prefer the AOL/CBS radio stations to the Pandora stations I've created.  Somehow, their classic rock station plays far more of what I want to hear than Pandora's somehow custom to my tastes station.

mamba315

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2012, 04:41 am »
The Bob Marley thing is funny.  Seems like Pandora throws his songs into every station my girlfriend creates.  Its so common it's past even mentioning.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm »
They tell you in their service agreement that you can't make a station play just one artist...

Interesting. I didn't read the service agreement. Anybody have any ideas how I am getting away with violating the terms of service (See reply #10)? I am using the free service.

drgn95

« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2012, 10:26 pm »
How do you delete stations on Pandora? Never could find that info.

TrungT

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm »
^^^^^
Login Pandora with a browser, under station drop down an option choices.

drgn95

« Reply #17 on: 11 Mar 2012, 10:36 pm »
Thanks. You'd think they would put it under remote options button.