Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK1 DAC -question..

jrocker1967

Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK1 DAC -question..
« on: 16 Jan 2024, 08:11 am »
Hello Everyone,
  My name is John and I just bought a used MP-D2 MK1 DAC,..and I already love it. If a used MK3 Deluxe with the AKM chipset presents itself to me,..I'll prolly upgrade, but for now I'm very happy to have the MK1.
  I read quite a few posts on here at "Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz", but as I am a new member, I have to introduce myself with this post. I'm 56, I work at a local mom 'n' pop record store in Knoxville, TN.,  which is ironic, because I only do CD's, SACD's, and Lossless files. I listen to everything from old rockabilly, vintage country, 60's rock, 70's rock, punk and jazz.
  My current setup is a Sony Bluray player feeding a Dayton Audio HTA200 integrated tube amplifier (looking to upgrade the amp in the next year) the MP=D2 MK1 DAC, a pair if Zu Audio Soul Superflys, and an SVS SB2000 subwoofer.
  My question is this,..can someone tell me which two output tubes on the MK1 can be upgraded-I'm running in single ended mode, and Garry told me the MK1 needs all 4 tube sockets filled, unlike the later model (So i'll leave the two stock output tubes in the other two sockets) but I need to know which tubes to replace for the single ended upgrade. If the top panel is off and the front panel is facing me -which two can I change?..I would appreciate the help..
John H

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK1 DAC -question..
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2024, 06:17 pm »
1 & 3 tube slots
I would upgrade the source (cd player) first.  I hear the Musical Paradise tube amps are pretty good.

What power cable do you have on the dac?
Here's a nice one for sale here.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=188302.msg1971943#new
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2024, 11:02 pm by marvda1 »

Phil A

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2024, 10:39 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC John   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2024, 11:09 pm »
  My question is this,..can someone tell me which two output tubes on the MK1 can be upgraded-I'm running in single ended mode, and Garry told me the MK1 needs all 4 tube sockets filled, unlike the later model (So i'll leave the two stock output tubes in the other two sockets) but I need to know which tubes to replace for the single ended upgrade. If the top panel is off and the front panel is facing me -which two can I change?..I would appreciate the help..
John H
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
Doesn't the owner's manual say anything?
What tubes are the originals or what you are using now ?
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2024, 01:02 am by FullRangeMan »

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2024, 04:00 am »
John

I've got a Mk3 Deluxe with the AKM 4497 chipset and upgraded clocks with less than 250 hours on it.  If your interested PM me.  It's already boxed up and ready to go in anticipation of an interstate move.