New member introduction

tworedballs

New member introduction
« on: 28 Dec 2023, 09:55 pm »
Good afternoon!  Introducing myself here so i can start to use the site for all it has to offer. Looking forward to learning more about the hi-fi space and how I can better incorporate quality music into my life.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New member introduction
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2023, 10:27 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

tworedballs

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2023, 10:52 pm »
Thanks! Definitely have some questions about getting my system dialed in.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2023, 10:54 pm »
What are these questions?

tworedballs

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2023, 11:08 pm »
So I'm building a system for my office. It's ~10x12 ft. I'm going to be listening to two main sources: LP's and some sort of digital media (probably streaming).

I currently have a turntable, BSR eq and a Sansui G5700 receiver pushing a pair of B&W 685 S1's and a Polk sub w/integrated crossover.

My first question has to do with an in-line filter that I saw Danny from GR Research make that rolled off the first octave on the low end. If I already have a low/high filter on my sub will the DIY filter do any better than the low/high pass filter built into the sub amp?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2023, 11:32 pm »
My first question has to do with an in-line filter that I saw Danny from GR Research make that rolled off the first octave on the low end. If I already have a low/high filter on my sub will the DIY filter do any better than the low/high pass filter built into the sub amp?
IMO is quite possible the GR filter be ''better''.
However I would not use any kind of bass filter for music, as I like bass, the more bass the better.

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2023, 11:42 pm »

You have to read the sub user manual to know for sure, but I think the low/high filter switch on the sub sets the crossover frequency to the main speakers. Maybe switches 50Hz or 80Hz low pass?

The filter mentioned on GR is a 1st order high pass line level filter, intended to roll off the bottom end of the sub a little when the room is too small for the sub and it's making too much low bass.

Feel free to ask questions in the GR circle if you need more/better info.
Rich

tworedballs

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2023, 11:58 pm »
I agree. I wasn't clear on the filter purpose. The filter rolled off the first octave on the low end but had a "pass through" for full range that could be used to connect straight to the sub's crossover and let it do the work. That way the first octave isn't even going through your amp to the smaller speakers (in my case).

The question is would that in-line filter concept of filtering before the amp be any better than running full through the amp and using the crossover on the sub to do the same work?

tworedballs

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2023, 12:02 am »
I'll try the GR forum. Thanks!