Hello!

Rascus

Hello!
« on: 20 Dec 2023, 12:22 am »
Hi.  My name is John Atkison and this is my first post on this forum.  I've had an account since 2012 but never got around to introducing myself.

I've been an audiophile since the late 1970's and live in Southern California.  I've had gear that are now considered classics.  First system I owned consisted of an AR XA turntable, various cartridges (Shure M91ED, V15 Type III, Stanton 681EEE), a Dynaco PAT-5 and Dynaco Stereo 400 (no meters), and a pair of Large Advents.  The Dynaco's I built from a kit.

I've owned a number of systems since that beginning, with pieces from the likes of Quad, Electro-Research, Infinity (Black Widow tonearm, electrostatic headphones), Grado (cartridges and headphones), DCM, Signet, Denon, etc.  The only items I have from all those systems is a Dynaco Stereo 70 amplifier and a Dynaco PAS 3X preamp.  I bought both for $50, and after cleaning them up, they are practically mint.  The Stereo 70 currenlty has a Van Alstine Super 70i board (another wonderful kit experience) installed.

I've worked for several hi-end stores in the area and had the pleasure of setting up systems, mostly home theater, from the likes of Classe and Meridian.  It was always fun programming Meridian products.

I'll be upgrading my the amp with an AVA Ultimate 70 board and upgrading the power transformer with one of the new units that has a bigger stack and maybe replacing the choke.  The preamp will get one of two kits from Erhard Audio.  I still need to get source components, a DAC and maybe a turntable.  As for speakers, I don't know, whatever can be driven by a Stereo 70, Vandersteen 1ci's, Tekton Design Lore Reference, Silverline Audio Preludes, Elac Uni-Fi UFR52s.  The system will be in a small room, so I think I can drive any of the speakers I've listed.

I look forward to being a part of this great forum.

P.S.  Please do not confuse me with John Atkinson from Stereophile.  Different last name.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2023, 01:04 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2023, 01:29 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2023, 02:37 pm »
Welcome!

After name dropping classic gear I'm surprised that it seems that you're willing to settle for mid-fi loudspeakers. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2023, 05:30 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC John   :thumb: