Fritz speakers

Ragnar71

Fritz speakers
« on: 26 Jul 2021, 02:53 am »
Anyone have any experience with these? He uses top quality drivers and a open source series crossover that I
Do not pretend to understand but has no capacitors and keeps the speakers amp friendly, capable of running off tube amps.
The crossover he uses is the supposed secret sauce. When explained to me it was said there is no computer program for it, it requires trial and error therefore is not used by the big boys… but is unmatched coherently . He is a really good giy and has been around a long time. Makes each speaker himself. No badge , no name slapped anywhere. Just really nice cabinets with tile drivers.
Would love to hear from some with experience

Early B.

Re: Fritz speakers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2021, 02:57 am »
Have you tried the search function? There's tons of info on these speakers here on audiocircle.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:12 am »
I own a pair of his LS 5/R speakers. They sound fantastic, but do need a powerful amp to power them as they are 83.5dB. I think he renamed them to <looking for them now>..."Fritz Carrera Compact". Link to his website:
 http://www.fritzspeakers.com/DreamWeaverFritzLS5RcompactSpecPage.asp

Quite a few AC members own his Fritz Carrera speakers:  http://www.fritzspeakers.com/CarreraBESpecifications.htm

Fritz is a great guy. He doesn't BS you. His speakers are a GREAT value.

Michael

jonbee

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:26 am »
Fritz uses series crossovers, vs. parallel in most speakers.
My experience is that a properly designed series crossover sounds more integrated and coherent, but are tricky to design. No computer programs will get them right. Several well known makers of very high end speakers use them. They don't mass produce them so they can do individual tweaking, and can price them accordingly. Their own "secret sauce".
I've no doubt Fritz does it right based on reports of their sound. I'd give 'em a try if in the market.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2021, 05:39 am by jonbee »

mav52

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2021, 01:16 pm »
I just wish John would build a speaker like say a Harbeth 40.1

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:35 pm »
I just wish John would build a speaker like say a Harbeth 40.1

He has built some larger speakers, but won't ship them.

Nick B

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2021, 04:01 pm »
I have the Fritz Carreras and it’s a terrific speaker. Detailed, but not etched on the top end and with a lovely midrange. The bass response is quite good and I’ve never considered using subs.They are not fussy as to placement and Fritz did a beautiful job with the walnut veneer. 
They are only 30 lbs, so that’s another plus for me. I use them with an AVA SET 120 amp and Supratek Chardonnay pre and it’s a wonderful match.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2021, 03:48 am »
That series crossover is blowing my mind.  Are the tweeters really getting enough protection?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2021, 04:00 am »
That series crossover is blowing my mind.  Are the tweeters really getting enough protection?

I've powered mine with a range of amps - 100w, 150w, 200w, and 600w/ch. The 200w/ch amp was at a dealer's showroom where the salesman had them blasting big orchestral music so loudly that I had to cover my ears. That was three years ago, and they still sound wonderful.

Nick B

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2021, 04:16 am »

I’ve read as many reviews and comments as I could find on Fritz speakers and have never seen mention of a blown tweeter…

DannyBadorine

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2021, 12:55 pm »
That's amazing!  I need to hear some of these!

jjss49

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2021, 03:24 pm »
fritz's speakers are truly terrific sounding, and a very very good value

small but long established maker, very experienced, excellent voicing, easy to drive, straight to consumer so no dealer markup...

hilde45

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2024, 08:13 pm »
I made a video of Fritz's Carbon 7's based on a 2020 review. Possibly of interest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpI6eAvc4_M&ab_channel=DH

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2024, 09:03 pm »
That's amazing!  I need to hear some of these!

I have a loaner pair of the Carbon 7 SE in Tucson.

They have been making the rounds in different systems:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183874.msg1930237#msg1930237

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=187163.msg1962115#msg1962115