X3 or X5 near Virginia?

Toob_Boob

X3 or X5 near Virginia?
« on: 14 Mar 2021, 04:12 pm »
I'm very seriously considering a pair of X3 or X5 speakers. I've had a lengthy phone conversation with Clayton but I'd sure like to hear a pair before I pull the trigger. Anyone out there??

doggie

Re: X3 or X5 near Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2021, 01:17 pm »
You can audition an X3 Sapphire at Linear Tube Audio in Tacoma Park MD, which is directly next to DC. They will make a 2 hour appointment for you on a weekend. Great folks...

I did this yesterday...

radarnyc

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2021, 01:41 pm »
And great combination btw! I have the X3 with the Z10. PM me for another tip

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2021, 07:51 pm »
You can audition an X3 Sapphire at Linear Tube Audio in Tacoma Park MD, which is directly next to DC. They will make a 2 hour appointment for you on a weekend. Great folks...

I did this yesterday...
I think that is the M3 Sapphire, not the X series.

doggie

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2021, 10:06 pm »
Oops. Correct!

doggie

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2021, 11:38 am »
@Toob_Boob.

Were you able to hear a pair of Spatials? Did you buy a pair?

Toob_Boob

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2021, 12:27 am »
Hello, no I have not heard or bought a pair. I was waiting for Ron at NRD to post his review before I pulled the trigger but he's saying he would have the review finished until September. How do you like yours?

doggie

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2021, 02:49 am »
Hello, no I have not heard or bought a pair. I was waiting for Ron at NRD to post his review before I pulled the trigger but he's saying he would have the review finished until September. How do you like yours?

I only have about 20 hours on them but they are really great. As was experienced by others the treble is slowly calming down and the bass is beginning to fill in. They are keepers!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:39 pm »

Too bad Ron at NRD is taking so long for his review.  He has made "initial" comments/thoughts which I found helpful.  These initial comments, plus all the great information here on Audio Circle and Clayton's interviews on YouTube were enough for me.  After speaking with Clayton, I ordered a pair of X3s.  I've used them daily since May 21st, 2021.  The first week, I played them 24/7 (softer in the evening, of course).  Since then, about 2 to 4 hours a day (I'm retired).  So, I probably have about 200 plus hours on them.  Positioning was another crucial aspect.

Probably, the biggest difference between the X3 and X5 is room size and distance between MLP and the speakers.  Consultation with Clayton will help here.  Otherwise, they will reproduce music similarly.  They have the same AMT and mid range drivers, plus a smaller subwoofer in the X5.

Plenty of comments on AC about using acoustic treatments.

This was my first time going from box speakers to open baffle.  The improvement in sound quality, soundstage and depth is truly amazing.  I have my speakers pulled 5 feet from my front wall.  When I listen, the entire front wall comes alive with music and vocals.  Listening to choirs and full orchestras is truly amazing.  Every instrument and vocal is precisely placed.  Phantom center is rock solid.  As a matter of fact, this week, I am auditioning my speakers to another prospective Spatial Audio Lab customer.

Clayton offers a 60 day warrantee although shipping them back to him is likely expensive.  They say the speakers keep getting better and better with extended burn-in.  Gosh, that would be great, but at this point, for me, these are keepers so I'm happy.  I hope this helps with your decision process.

Marcus

markmuse

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2021, 06:43 pm »
@Toob_Boob
I am in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. X5's. You are welcome to visit.