Subwoofer EQ of X Series

WildPhydeaux

Subwoofer EQ of X Series
« on: 16 Feb 2021, 09:57 pm »
Considering Spatial X5 and anticipating I may be able to decommission my existing sub. This Velodyne DD-12 sub has full EQ capabilities and was relatively easy to dial in for my listening room. Once done, bass modes and the usual nastiness are incredibly smooth and I'm really pleased. So going away from that is a concern, but potentially worthwhile to simplify things and lower the component count - IF I can accomplish the same thing for each of the built-in subs in the X3/X5 speakers...

So how to accomplish the same thing with the built-in subwoofers in the X3/X5 series? Presumably I could get a MiniDSP and dial things in with a calibrated mic using REW, but I do not want to do this at or just after the source. I would prefer to just be doing this on the bottom frequencies, so after whatever crossover network exists in the Spatial speaker - basically the signal that goes to the subwoofers. Is this possible? I know nothing about the crossover in the speaker, so maybe I'm out to lunch. I guess my question is: is there a low-pass filter on the speaker where I would be able to "insert" EQ for sub only?

Cheers,
Robert

TomS

Re: Subwoofer EQ of X Series
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2021, 11:16 pm »
I would discuss with Clayton before doing any added EQ on an OB speaker. The X5's use the Hypex Fusion DSP 250w plate amps, so it is, in theory, possible to use that capability.

https://www.hypex.nl/product/fusionamp-fa251/155

Spatial Audio

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2021, 12:17 am »
Considering Spatial X5 and anticipating I may be able to decommission my existing sub. This Velodyne DD-12 sub has full EQ capabilities and was relatively easy to dial in for my listening room. Once done, bass modes and the usual nastiness are incredibly smooth and I'm really pleased. So going away from that is a concern, but potentially worthwhile to simplify things and lower the component count - IF I can accomplish the same thing for each of the built-in subs in the X3/X5 speakers...

So how to accomplish the same thing with the built-in subwoofers in the X3/X5 series? Presumably I could get a MiniDSP and dial things in with a calibrated mic using REW, but I do not want to do this at or just after the source. I would prefer to just be doing this on the bottom frequencies, so after whatever crossover network exists in the Spatial speaker - basically the signal that goes to the subwoofers. Is this possible? I know nothing about the crossover in the speaker, so maybe I'm out to lunch. I guess my question is: is there a low-pass filter on the speaker where I would be able to "insert" EQ for sub only?
Robert

Hi Robert - Using MiniDSP EQ with the X5 for the sub section alone will not work because we ship the speaker programmed to use the SUB IN - high level input. We could configure it for use with one of the line level inputs, but it has to be programmed ahead of time and not something you can change in the field. So, call me if you want to discuss that approach in more detail.

Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio Lab
435-640-1294

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2021, 12:41 am »
Thank you for the insight into how the speaker is designed. I much prefer the method of feeding both the speakers and the subs with speaker level inputs and then doing DSP correction on the content the sub handles after it "discards" everything above its cutoff frequency. But clearly that needs to be tailored to the environment, so user adjustment is necessary.

Cheers,
Robert

Audiophile58

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2021, 06:01 pm »
With the cost of the dsp in the Sub And the cost to design a app to fully tune the Bass functions
The prices being so low ,look at Svs Loudspeakers even their $499: sub has the exact app to fully tune your sub in many parameters ,just go to Svs and look up the 1000 pro sub thsts under $500 delivered
The engineers said writing a quality app is the hardest part, the exact same app as their $2500 sub app.
Digital costs have come Waay down in the last few years .it’s time to design with the future in mind
Getting behind the speaker is just so outdated ,everything has apps .it’s just taking the time and a bit of money to do it  this for sure would attract many more customers and give owners much more flexibility.
It’s not maybe it’s when ,No time like th3 present !!