List of DACs "Under $450"

Netdewt

« on: 9 Jan 2012, 01:40 pm »
I started making this list over on AudioKarma, just thought I'd share here too. The list has expanded beyond a $450 limit, in many cases just for comparison, but that price point and under is still the focus. I got the $450 number from the Cambridge DacMagic. It was the most expensive DAC I could see myself buying when I started the list. For the record, I still do not own a proper DAC because I can't decide!  :|

There are plenty of holes in the data. If you can help or have anything to add, post here and I'll see what I can do, or send me a message and I'll add you as a collaborator.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: List of DACs "Under $450"
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2012, 03:19 pm »
That's a great list Netdewt.  We had a discussion with the same topic, but nobody had a complete list on a spread sheet.  I'm going to let it ride for a bit before deciding, but I think you may have earned a sticky thread with your first post here, well done and welcome aboard.

brother love

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2012, 03:46 pm »
Wow. Very comprehensive list. Awesome work Netdewt!  :thumb:

I'm looking for a DAC, & after looking at your list for a bit, "analysis paralysis" set-in very quickly.  :o

Netdewt

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2012, 03:51 pm »
"analysis paralysis" set-in very quickly.  :o

:) I do have some obsessive tendencies. I think the fact that I still have not bought one says something. Haha!

tomytoons

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2012, 04:36 pm »
You are missing on that list EE Mini Max DAC2 and Audio gd 3.1.

Opps, I meant the Audio gd 2.1
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2012, 07:37 pm by tomytoons »

Netdewt

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2012, 04:58 pm »
Thanks, I had not heard of the EE.

The Audio-gd line is on there. 3.1 is on line 60.

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2012, 05:04 pm »
I was going to suggest the new Wyred for Sound but it's on there!  Great list.  I'm DAC shopping and would appreciate any comments on the new Wyred offering.  I'm also looking at used Tranquility and Benchmark DAC's and the full sized Wyred DAC1. 

Is the compact Wyred a clever little toy or can it compete with the big boys?  So many options...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2012, 07:29 pm »
Thats a serious list.....I'll check it out and see what others I may have found that aren't on there but I doubt it will be many...touche'
 Is it downloadable??

Delta Wave

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2012, 07:50 pm »
Fantastic, thank you.  :thumb:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2012, 08:23 pm »
Thats a serious list.....I'll check it out and see what others I may have found that aren't on there but I doubt it will be many...touche'
 Is it downloadable??

I used Google Chrome to open the link.  There I clicked on 'File' and downloaded the file in Excel format.  If you can't get it to work I can send it to you.

persisting1

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm »
Wow, this will come in handy.  Thanks  :thumb:

avta

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2012, 11:32 pm »
www.anedio.com

Thanks for the list. You missed that one I think.

Netdewt

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:56 pm »
Added that and the dB DACs I noticed being advertised on this site.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:40 pm »

Awesome list. You have too much time on your hands.  :lol:

How did you get a spreadsheet to display on the site?

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2012, 12:46 am by Rocket_Ronny »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2012, 11:33 pm »
Now stickyfied.

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:34 am »
Since this thread is about DACs that well exceed the limits for this circle, it should be moved to Solid State.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:37 am »
I used Google Chrome to open the link.  There I clicked on 'File' and downloaded the file in Excel format.  If you can't get it to work I can send it to you.
I got it, its a Google DOC so it just jumped into my docs.....I was checking them out today....thats a cool list and.....maybe it will be easy to update each year now that all the websites are there....I didn't know Maverick had a new DAC until I saw the list......pretty soon there should be a Virtue DAC to add.

avu

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:53 am »
Great list.  Only two things I can see:

1) the Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac is $750, but it's not the "plus" - the plus is a new version that costs $1100.

http://www.morningstaraudio.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=13&catid=6

2) for some reason, you don't have the excellent $450 Yulong D100, even though you have the cheaper DAH1 and the more expensive D18.  The info on the D100 is here:

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

Netdewt

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jan 2012, 01:28 am »
Since this thread is about DACs that well exceed the limits for this circle, it should be moved to Solid State.

The purpose of the higher priced DACs, for me, is just for technical comparison. I am not trying to catalog all DACs, just lower priced DACs; some higher priced ones have been added for WOW factor. Also, there are tube DACs in the list. See:

The list has expanded beyond a $450 limit, in many cases just for comparison, but that price point and under is still the focus.

for some reason, you don't have the excellent $450 Yulong D100

Sorry, I can't keep up! Again, I welcome help!

Hey, do you guys think my "Sample" (i.e. SPDIF), "USBmax" (USB sample), oversample, and upsample categories make sense? Many manufacturers do not give this info or make it clear what each stat means. It makes those things difficult to find. Should I throw in the towel on any of them? Any categories I should add?

Now stickyfied.
Awesome list. You have too much time on your hands.  :lol:

Thanks for the enthusiasm. The list is 2 years in the making. I have some kind of ADD, and I work at a computer. :)

dflee

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2012, 02:10 am »
Netdewt- Well Done!
One of the best first posts I've ever seen. Welcome aboard this crazy train and I look forward to future posts by you but must admit that's a tough act to follow.

Later
Don