Is stacking mono blocks - a no-no?

rebbi

Is stacking mono blocks - a no-no?
« on: 13 May 2018, 02:57 pm »
Hi,
I am thinking of buying Khartago-case mono-blocks. The thing is, I have very limited component space. It's not a huge room, and I don't have a proper equipment rack. Most of my gear sits on the top surface of a "stereo cabinet" type of furniture piece. I was wondering if those Khartago cases can be stacked, or if that's going to create heat or magnetic interference problems. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Dishman442

Re: Is stacking mono blocks - a no-no?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2018, 03:01 pm »
I would confirm, but I just asked that same question of Klaus about the Khartago case monoblocks. His response was “If you must”. 

Dishman442

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2018, 03:05 pm »
Please read my intro when it gets approved. (along with these posts). Let’s compare notes. I’m really curious what level of upgrades you are considering on the amps, if any, and what associated gear you are using.

Dishman442

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2018, 03:13 pm »
Sorry for the mega posts, I’m getting my numbers up to gain access.

Did you get dimensions on the Khartago from Klaus?  His website is a little thin on details, he must not update it regularly. (Or at all) I have a little short table that could hold them both unstacked depending on dimensions.

Did you go for an anodized color?

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2018, 03:38 pm »
Rebbi, I'm not Klaus, but I'm currently sitting in front of a Khartago amp.  Note that in difference to the Stratos cases, the Khartago vents heat from the large holes drilled in the top cover; on the Stratos, the side panels are the heat sinks.  I leave my amp on 24/7, and right now sitting at idle, it is warm to the touch but not hot at the vent holes.  After playing for a few hours at a time (I have it hooked up also doing duty when I'm watching movies), it can get noticeably hotter at the vent holes, but not quite darn near burn yourself hot (like a Pass amp might?).  If it were me, I wouldn't stack them directly one atop the other if you plan on driving them hard for hours at a time, but if you put some footers under the top one (between it and the bottom one's top case) to give you a couple inches worth of air space between them, I think you would be good to go.

Hope that helps, and I hope a few others actually running monos reply shortly.  I do remember a conversation here on AC a few years back where I think someone was using a pair of Khartago monos in a desktop system where he had all his electronics stacked, and at some point decided to place the monos side by side, not because anything failed in the amps the way they were stacked prior, but simply being cautious about the potential for issue as you are asking about here.

rebbi

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2018, 03:41 pm »
Rebbi, I'm not Klaus, but I'm currently sitting in front of a Khartago amp.  Note that in difference to the Stratos cases, the Khartago vents heat from the large holes drilled in the top cover; on the Stratos, the side panels are the heat sinks.  I leave my amp on 24/7, and right now sitting at idle, it is warm to the touch but not hot at the vent holes.  After playing for a few hours at a time (I have it hooked up also doing duty when I'm watching movies), it can get noticeably hotter at the vent holes, but not quite darn near burn yourself hot (like a Pass amp might?).  If it were me, I wouldn't stack them directly one atop the other if you plan on driving them hard for hours at a time, but if you put some footers under the top one (between it and the bottom one's top case) to give you a couple inches worth of air space between them, I think you would be good to go.

Hope that helps, and I hope a few others actually running monos reply shortly.  I do remember a conversation here on AC a few years back where I think someone was using a pair of Khartago monos in a desktop system where he had all his electronics stacked, and at some point decided to place the monos side by side, not because anything failed in the amps the way they were stacked prior, but simply being cautious about the potential for issue as you are asking about here.

Thanks a lot for the reply, Jonathon! I was thinking of maybe getting blocks or maybe those Sorbothane feet from Audio Advisor to use as you suggest and give the bottom amp proper ventilation.

Carl V

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2018, 05:13 pm »
don't use sorbathane feet. imho
they leave marks
use a variety of things i.e.,
Hockey pucks
Tennis Balls, Wooden Blocks
metal tip toes... this is audio
so you'll get a laundry list and
it's like a religion, with adherents.

rebbi

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2018, 05:21 pm »
don't use sorbathane feet. imho
they leave marks
use a variety of things i.e.,
Hockey pucks
Tennis Balls, Wooden Blocks
metal tip toes... this is audio
so you'll get a laundry list and
it's like a religion, with adherents.

Okay, so they can be stacked with the right materials. Yay!

AlTran

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2018, 05:08 pm »
Everyone is different. I'm not a big fan of stacking the gears. Those are my babies & I treat them with care & love. Basically if you are walking with a backpack versus empty handed, which is more comfortable & ease? Gears are the same ways in my opinion. Please allow room for breathing... 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2018, 07:01 pm »
Aside from having separate power supply, biggest advantage of mono blocks is that you can place them closer to each speaker and thus reduce the length of speaker cables.  Why not just get a dual mono (power supply) "stereo" unit if you are gong to stack them?  If the mono amp is venting through the top, I would put a heat shield like a ceramic tile between the stack with at least an inch venting space below the tile if you have to stack them.  This way the bottom unit will vent without heating up the top unit.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2018, 12:12 pm by woodsyi »

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2018, 02:30 am »
I don't think stacking (warm / very warm running) amps in a limited space is a good idea, unless your shelf or rack is completely open to ventilation, especially on top where the heat needs to easily escape. If you're stacking them out in the open, it should be OK. Woodsyi has some good advice, in the previous post, regarding providing a bit of added space between the amps.

uncola

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2018, 08:28 am »
I tried stacking two kismet in khartago case monoblocks for my desk setup and it got much hotter.  Didn’t seem good despite Klaus saying the temps were ok.  I used wooden blocks made from cut 2x4 boards to separate them.  I don’t recommend it.

john1970

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2018, 01:03 pm »
While I don’t use Odyssey amps I would discourage stacking amps directly on top of each other.  I run two Bryson 7Bs and I keep a good eight inches between the amps for sufficient air flow. 

uncola

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2018, 03:14 pm »
I found the pics I posted when stacking them.. and the ir thermometer temp I observed..  46c stacked, 40c unstacked.  too hot for comfort for me anyway.. but then again, nothing compared to when I had a firstwatt