Can you hear a vinyl record played in space?

WGH

Re: Can you hear a vinyl record played in space?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Aug 2016, 08:39 pm »

The iron core acts like a magnet and keeps the moon in orbit around the earth.

Every day I learn something new on AudioCircle .

I always thought the moon stayed in orbit because the centripetal force between the Moon and the Earth tries to pull the Moon toward the Earth. This force is balanced by the centrifugal force that pulls on the Earth and keeps the moon in motion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+keeps+the+moon+in+orbit+around+the+earth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Minn Mark

« Reply #21 on: 1 Aug 2016, 08:51 pm »
Maybe I'm ignorant or oversimplifying, but don't you have to have an atmosphere to propagate sound?   You might get a record to "play', but I don't think you'd hear anything unless you are exposing your ears to an atmosphere.

Opinions vary...

Mark

*Scotty*

« Reply #22 on: 1 Aug 2016, 09:13 pm »
Mark You right on the money. You need a solid, liquid, gas or plasma to propagate a sound wave.
Scotty

*Scotty*

« Reply #23 on: 1 Aug 2016, 09:33 pm »
More interesting info about the moon.
It appears that it is contributing to keeping the earths core molten and its geomagnetic field at full strength thus protecting us from charged particles from outside the solar system as well as the Sun's solar wind. This is what makes the earth habitable and is responsible for the Earths ability to retain an atmosphere this close to the Sun.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160401075118.htm
 Mars on the other hand has a frozen iron core and now has a magnetosphere that is far simpler and less extensive than that of the Earth, as a result it has little or no protection from charged particles from space. The loss of Mars' geomagnetic field in addition to Mars much smaller gravitational field, compared to the Earth, also contributed to its loss of atmosphere in the distant past.
Scotty

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 1 Aug 2016, 10:02 pm »
Maybe I'm ignorant or oversimplifying, but don't you have to have an atmosphere to propagate sound?   You might get a record to "play', but I don't think you'd hear anything unless you are exposing your ears to an atmosphere.

Opinions vary...

Mark

Hopefully, that was a given, otherwise we have some serious problems........

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #25 on: 1 Aug 2016, 10:44 pm »
Well, it's sort of a silly topic, but you have to be in space to hear the vinyl. So you have to be in a controlled atmosphere (suit, capsule).  So if you have speakers inside your suit or space station, yes, you could transmit sound. 

S Clark

« Reply #26 on: 1 Aug 2016, 11:07 pm »

The earth has a magnetic field because it has an iron core. The iron core acts like a magnet and keeps the moon in orbit around the earth.
Wait... the moon revolves around the earth due to magnetic attraction????    :slap:  There are some magnetic effects, but as I thought everyone understood, gravitational attraction drives essentially all cosmic rotations. 

brj

« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2016, 11:28 pm »
At its most basic, sound requires vibrations propagated within a medium (solid, liquid, gas, plasma).  While space isn't empty, containing mass on the order of a few atoms or fractions of an atoms per cubic centimeter, it's still a better vacuum than any you're going to find on earth.  So for all practical purposes, the mass of space is so spread out - so rarefied - that it isn't contiguous enough to transmit vibrations at the frequencies that correspond to human perceivable sound.

Quote from: Wayner
The earth has a magnetic field because it has an iron core. The iron core acts like a magnet and keeps the moon in orbit around the earth.

When working at planetary scales, the force of gravity completely dominates electromagnetism (Coulomb's force).  Yes, the gravitational force is weak per unit mass, but it scales with mass to become very large.  Coulomb's force doesn't tend to scale with mass because you tend to add positive and negative particles in proportion to each other.  (Yes, that is a significant simplification.)

*Scotty*

« Reply #28 on: 2 Aug 2016, 03:10 am »
If one includes infrasonic sound waves orders of magnitude lower than humans can perceive, we find that the interstellar medium is awash with sound emanating from every direction. Every time a nova or supernova occurs we have an incredible release of energy part of which results in the formation of a shock wave in the surrounding interstellar medium. A shock wave occurs when ever a wavefront  moves faster than the local speed of sound in the interstellar medium.
 More information on this subject can be found here.
https://thepathofsound.wordpress.com/sound-waves-in-the-interstellar-medium/
https://supernovacondensate.net/2012/08/14/black-hole-melody/

Here is a picture of sound waves propagating in space courtesy of the Chandra X-ray Telescope

Illustration clarifying what is shown in the Chandra image

The article from which these fascinating images were lifted, it explains how these sounds are generated.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackholesounds/
Scotty

brj

« Reply #29 on: 2 Aug 2016, 03:43 am »
Well, you're correct, of course, but I was focusing on the frequency range that vinyl albums can actually reproduce... ;)

I want to see the system that reproduce a shock wave at the magnitudes that you're referencing, not to mention the fact that the actual "tone" is a b-flat 57 octaves below middle C!  :lol:

S Clark

« Reply #30 on: 2 Aug 2016, 04:22 am »
...I want to see the system that reproduce a shock wave at the magnitudes that you're referencing, not to mention the fact that the actual "tone" is a b-flat 57 octaves below middle C!  :lol:

That would be Rich Hollis' (HAL) dozen 12" servo subs  :o

*Scotty*

« Reply #31 on: 2 Aug 2016, 04:26 am »
brj, I think you are going to be looking for a Black Hole which by all accounts is going to be damn hard to see. This is analogous to hunting for Snarks and finding a Boojoom ,
  from Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark,....
       ......beware of the day,
   If your Snark be a Boojum! For then
You will softly and suddenly vanish away,
   And never be met with again!'

Scotty