Trying these IEM’s / y not?

stlrman

Trying these IEM’s / y not?
« on: 2 Apr 2018, 12:49 am »
I have read some very nice reviews of this cheapo.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/review-kz-ate-hi-fi-earphones/

Anybody listen to these !

charmerci

Re: Trying these IEM’s / y not?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2018, 02:24 am »
Looking at them - there's now the KZ-ATE -S and also another variation. 

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2018, 04:04 pm »
Well, since I'm cheap and I lost my beloved Grado in-ears (flight cancellation due to snowstorm and technical problems - left them on the plane  :( ) I've ordered a set. I'll give a review here when they come in.

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2018, 01:05 am »
Thanks Charmerci, I'm interested as I lost my IEM's for work.  They were some low range LGs and when they went missing I just shrugged and got a pair of nuForce Primo 8. Since they were too good for work I am shopping for some work units that won't break the bank.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2018, 07:49 pm »
Well, I got them last night and - even though I can listen to them, I have to return them. You can see on an ebay photo there's a round metal piece that's inside of the plastic casing. It's loose so it physically rattles.

I've briefly listened to them and the lows are dependent (a lot!) on how well it is sealed in your ear canal and the highs are high.

For $12 not bad - but for me the highs are very detailed but a bit too harsh at loud levels. Again, I've only spent a few minutes with these.

To be continued......
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2018, 01:04 am by charmerci »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2018, 09:15 pm »
I have read some very nice reviews of this cheapo.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/review-kz-ate-hi-fi-earphones/

Anybody listen to these !
I bought a pair of them about a year and a half ago. Might've been the best $13 I ever spent audio wise. If you want bass from your IEMs, these are the ones to try. Although I have owned some priceier IEMs, the old Shure SE115s are my favorites. They just sound right to me. Anyway, the KZ-ATE-HIFI come very close IMO. Not as accurate, but man the bass makes up for it. When it comes to IEM listening, I'm not really looking for hi-end sound, more for fun.

Wig

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2018, 09:24 pm »
Guys,

At that price, may have to try some for myself and my teenagers! Those cheap $7 ones I'm getting at my local grocery store is not good at all...

Wig

FireGuy

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2018, 09:51 pm »
Thanks Charmerci, I'm interested as I lost my IEM's for work.  They were some low range LGs and when they went missing I just shrugged and got a pair of nuForce Primo 8. Since they were too good for work I am shopping for some work units that won't break the bank.

If these KZ-ATE HI-FI come anywhere near my Soundmagic E10 then I'm a believer.  I've had my E10's for over two years (biking, gym, running etc.) and they're fabulous... my go to, low cost IEM super achiever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOl9EcaeD5Q

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2018, 01:14 am »
OK - I've finally listened to them in the real world, i.e. walking around the streets.

Highs are highs, the lows are lows, these are no Bose.  :lol:

Again, you need to be able to seal them in your ears to get the bass. It increases or decreases on how much they are sealed. It also affects the sound. The highs get a bit harsh at high levels - I'm sensitive to this, I should be starting a whole thread on this - but this is greatly reduced the more bass there is. However, on the good side, they are very efficient and when sealed, you don't need to turn the volume up very high. I recommend these (so far) not as super-high quality headphones but for on-the-go in-ear phones if you like your high frequencies. I do miss my Grado in-ears. These are not my replacements for them.

I've only listened to them for less than an hour so if there is any breaking in - I haven't heard it yet.

These guys that I bought them from in CA responded very well when I had a problem with them. Recommend them.

Hey, for $12 total, you may love 'em.

charmerci

Probably the best $12 earphones out there.
« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2018, 05:26 pm »
Spent some more time with these. Certainly excellent for the price. I compared them with my Grado SR200's (yes, the very old model of the SR225's) and the Meze Classic 99's. While those phones are better - smoother/less harsh and I can hear each instrument more distinctly. I don't have any other hp's to compare them with but off the top of my head, I would say that these are comparable with the best $100 or under in-ears - but I'm not experienced with those, it's just a guess.

From the left - the first set of buds comes with them but they are rubberized and don't seal well so it favors the harsh high end without much bass. Next are softer buds which seal well and are the best (dependent on your ear hole size!). Next, the bigger ones seal outside noise very effectively but with that comes too much bass that overwhelms the highs. Far too much boom, boom for me. But that can be reduced by not pushing them down the shaft that you see in the earphones behind them. The next set came from somewhere else and for me are the best because the opening is a little larger and just fits more comfortably. The last set are also rubberized and again because they don't seat well in my ear canal emphasize the high frequencies. So obviously, you can really tailor the sound depending on how many spare ear buds you have lying around!

stlrman

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2018, 10:33 am »
Is there a right and left side?  How do you tell?
I can’t get a good fit at all .  I can’t get a good seal.
Thanks !

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:02 pm »
Is there a right and left side?  How do you tell?
I can’t get a good fit at all .  I can’t get a good seal.
Thanks !

Next to the red "thingy" where the wire comes into the plastic body opposite the  KZ-ATE markings, you'll see the printed L or R.

As above, the two extra buds that come with it seal better than the buds already on it. Also, the wires go over and behind your ears.

kvgolfa

« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2018, 01:42 am »
I'm always wary as cheap stuff may sound good but it starts to fall apart

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2018, 12:17 pm »
Next to the red "thingy" where the wire comes into the plastic body opposite the  KZ-ATE markings, you'll see the printed L or R.

As above, the two extra buds that come with it seal better than the buds already on it. Also, the wires go over and behind your ears.

The ear buds you bought are cosmetically different than the ones I bought through Amazon. Mine have gold colored connection pieces with blue or red stripes to designate left/right buds, where yours have red rubber looking parts. Also, mine don't have "L" and "R" markings on the buds. Hard to believe someone make a knock-off of a $13 product.

I do agree a good, tight fit is essential to correct sound.  When the fit goes off it's very noticeable, but I don't have much of an issue with getting the fit right.

Took them on a trip to Phoenix a couple months ago and they were good for the entire plane ride.

Like I stated before, I don't use IEMs for hifi listening. I certainly don't listen critically with them, just for on-the-go fun. They do that extremely well and extremely cheap;y.

stlrman

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2018, 12:35 pm »
kvgolfa, the build quality seems amazing on these!!

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2018, 04:11 pm »
I use them regularly most every day (had them for over a month) and have had no quality problems and they seem to sound a little better too.

I posted a link above where I bought this pair from.

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2018, 02:44 pm »
A great pair of IEMs for the money. I got a pair a few weeks ago. They may end up being a stocking stuffer for everyone this Christmas. Nice mic for calls too.

Good luck getting a good seal. Tip rolling can take time. Lately I've been a fan of Symbio tips (which cost more than these headphones, at $15. They only sell on eBay IIRC). Less expensive tips I've enjoyed are These tips from Penon: https://penonaudio.com/3-pairs-grey-red-eartips.html

Downside is that both are shipped internationally. So it takes a while for them to arrive.