My Cheap and Cheerful CD Tip of the Day

Ericus Rex

My Cheap and Cheerful CD Tip of the Day
« on: 18 Oct 2022, 01:12 pm »
Scour your local thrift stores and look for any SACD-capable video/DVD player. Sony obviously made a bunch of Blu-Ray players that also read SACDs. I have found a Pioneer Elite DVD player, and a Yamaha SACD carousel player, each under $10, and they both sound fantastic.  All the SACD players I've come across have sounded far better with regular CDs than the comparable CD-only players. Both of my finds outperformed a respectable Marantz CD player.

My 2 cents.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: My Cheap and Cheerful CD Tip of the Day
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2022, 01:40 pm »
Excellent idea!

:thumb:

Crispy in AZ

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2023, 11:28 pm »
This is a great idea to inexpensively upgrade you CD listening experience, thank you for sharing!

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2023, 03:55 am »
That's how I do it. However, I recommend going in regularly because the good stuff does tend to fly out the door. I've seen quite a number of CD players and receivers gone in a day.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2023, 10:15 am »
I've been doing it this way for years.  I had an Oppo for years back in the 2000s until it gave up the ghost, then a few others.  I always buy one with a digital out so I can choose my own DAC, but many have sounded decent or better straight out.  Remotes are never included so I get brand centric universals on Amazon.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2023, 10:19 am »
Scour your local thrift stores and look for any SACD-capable video/DVD player. Sony obviously made a bunch of Blu-Ray players that also read SACDs. I have found a Pioneer Elite DVD player, and a Yamaha SACD carousel player, each under $10, and they both sound fantastic.  All the SACD players I've come across have sounded far better with regular CDs than the comparable CD-only players. Both of my finds outperformed a respectable Marantz CD player.

My 2 cents.

I had a Pioneer Elite DVD player.  At the time, that was one of the recommended players for CDs.  I did a test, though, between it and a modified Squeezebox and liked the modded Squeezebox better.  I still have the modded Squeezebox, though I don't use it.  I gave up on the DVD player a while back.  Now, everything seems to be streaming.  I have a massive CD collection burnt to a network-attached storage device, and no one but me listens to it.