Is there a new version of Alicia de Larrocha?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Is there a new version of Alicia de Larrocha?
« on: 21 Nov 2019, 08:13 pm »
I was listening to several of her lp's over the past couple of days.  Ms. Larrocha held such a dominant place in Spanish piano music, the question is, has anyone taken her place after her death 10 years ago? 

S Clark

Re: Is there a new version of Alicia de Larrocha?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2019, 01:11 am »
I'll try once more. Are there any pianist at the forefront of Spanish classical music?  Tyson? Andolink? Lester?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2019, 02:32 am »
Maybe Manolo Carrasco?  He certainly has wonderful technique and a focus on Spanish music.

Edit to add:  Oh, and Daniel Ligorio has some nice Granados & de Falla discs out too.

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2019, 02:41 am »
Maybe Manolo Carrasco?  He certainly has wonderful technique and a focus on Spanish music.
Thanks.  I'll check him out.   :thumb:

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2019, 12:05 pm »
As a composer/pianist? Hmmm, I don’t know.

As a pianist, Maria João Pires is superb, especially her Chopin, but her repertoire isn’t especially Spanish.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

L.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2019, 12:20 pm »
Oh, as a  contemporary modern Spanish composer, but who is not a pianist - and I realize that’s not your question - Mauricio Sotelo comes to mind:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7AAS_2m0KJk

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2019, 03:58 pm »
As a composer/pianist? Hmmm, I don’t know.

As a pianist, Maria João Pires is superb, especially her Chopin, but her repertoire isn’t especially Spanish.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

L.
Thanks, Lester.  That's very helpful.  I've not heard her work, and her Chopin Nocturnes has me looking for a copy.  Ms. Pires seems to record a lot of Mozart.  Any favorites?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2019, 05:56 pm »
Thanks, Lester.  That's very helpful.  I've not heard her work, and her Chopin Nocturnes has me looking for a copy.  Ms. Pires seems to record a lot of Mozart.  Any favorites?

All her recordings are first rate.  She's more of a refined pianist vs. full blooded passionate.  She reminds me a bit of Mitsuko Uchida, but with a bit more passion.  Uchida is pretty reticent as a pianst, haha. 

Hey, do you have Qobuz?  If not, I highly recommend it.  I just did a search on her as an artist and 30 recordings popped up to stream for free.  They are much more focused on classical music than Tidal and the sound quality is better too.  AND they just dropped their hirez streaming price from $25/month to $15/month. 

I use it a ton.  I figure if it saves me even one bad purchase per month of a meh recording, it's paid for itself.  It's not 'quite' as good sounding as my dedicated music server, but its pretty darn close.  And I use it mainly to explore music/recordings I'm not familiar with - if I find a recording that's outstanding, great - I can buy that from HD Tracks or Pro Studio Masters and drop it onto my main music server.  On the other hand, if the recording/performance turns out to be a dud, nothing is lost except my time.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2019, 03:18 am »

Actually I think I prefer her Mozart over the Chopin though the critics went really orbital with praise for the Chopin... “best ever”, better than Rubinstein” etc.
Her Mozart gives Uchida competition ... and I’m a big fan of Uchida.