$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

toxteth ogrady

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #2020 on: 15 Sep 2010, 10:40 pm »
You will poop your pants.

I'm pretty sure my wife has a rule about that, so I'll just stick with what I have for now.

I was debating trying those Hammond chokes but decided I would try a Grant Fidelity power conditioner, which may have a big choke in it anyway. Special AC accommodation price of $285 shipped which includes their $149 power cord, check it out - http://grantfidelity.com/site/RPF-120-Power-Conditioner

I'll write a more detailed description of what this power conditioner is doing in my set up, but for now let me just say everything is better. I'm pretty sure I have crumby power so don't know how this would work for someone else.

Fyi, for anyone who wants to try Wushuliu's suggestion, there's someone on the trading post that has a few 193L chokes for sale at a very good price.

nwboater

« Reply #2021 on: 15 Sep 2010, 10:42 pm »
Yes, the cleaner the power the better the sound for these amps. Best bang for the buck is the DIY 193L choke conditioner I mentioned in the modifications thread. It's the one tweak I am a fanatic about. Once you try it you'll never go back (only forward, like with say, dbe's Buss's). You will poop your pants.

Ok maybe not. Like I said, it's the one thing I'm a fanatic about... :peek:

Had to do some searching to find the thread, but I believe this is the one. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81223.0
When I get one of these I'll wire a ground connection from outlet ground to the transformer case for safety. I don't believe it will have any audible effect. But it could save your bacon if a winding on the choke should ever short to the case (extremely unlikely!). If that did happen and you touch the choke and anything else grounded you are in for a good shock. The safety ground wire should prevent that potential (no pun intended) shocking experience.

Rod

mjosef

« Reply #2022 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:06 pm »
I had excellent results with the Felix conditioner (as described in the Lab) on the Class D amp I auditioned...parts cost will run you less than $30.
My build, when I get around to it  :roll:, will incorporate a Felix as part of the power supply.
No need to go spending $$$... :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #2023 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:15 pm »
I had excellent results with the Felix conditioner (as described in the Lab) on the Class D amp I auditioned...parts cost will run you less than $30.
My build, when I get around to it  :roll:, will incorporate a Felix as part of the power supply.
No need to go spending $$$... :thumb:

I'd like to do a big Felix project down the road as well, to replace my APC H10. But there's a bit more care involved with a Felix than w/ the choke - wouldn't recommend it to a newb.

wushuliu

« Reply #2024 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:25 pm »
Okay, back on topic: Let's say I have a CDA-224 and a CDA-254, each with their own power supplies. I can still do a bi-amp setup, 224 w/ tweeters and 254 w/ woofers, despite the difference in power (120 vs. 250), right?

wushuliu

« Reply #2025 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:26 pm »
Had to do some searching to find the thread, but I believe this is the one. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81223.0
When I get one of these I'll wire a ground connection from outlet ground to the transformer case for safety. I don't believe it will have any audible effect. But it could save your bacon if a winding on the choke should ever short to the case (extremely unlikely!). If that did happen and you touch the choke and anything else grounded you are in for a good shock. The safety ground wire should prevent that potential (no pun intended) shocking experience.

Rod

Hey Rod, actually grounding the choke w/ have affect sound quality but not in a bad way, just different. Let us know your impressions...

mjosef

« Reply #2026 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:33 pm »
Okay, back on topic: Let's say I have a CDA-224 and a CDA-254, each with their own power supplies. I can still do a bi-amp setup, 224 w/ tweeters and 254 w/ woofers, despite the difference in power (120 vs. 250), right?

Sure..depending on your understanding of Bi-Amping, but you will still have to set (adjust)SPL levels (with pink noise or is it white?) for the two spectrum...
Currently I am biamping (using an active crossover) @320Hz, with the mid/hi using the stock passive crossover.  On the mid/hi I am using a 20W tube amp and a 200W SS amp on the bass...level matched of course.

guest1632

« Reply #2027 on: 19 Sep 2010, 05:32 am »
I have been searching for an SMPS for the Class D audio amps for a while and finally found one.  http://connexelectronic.com/product_info.php/products_id/118?osCsid=b0fbhen2sto5c1euaf4vrp4h02

Hooked it up to my CDA-254 and it sounds amazing. Even better than my modded linear power supply with 6x6800uf 63volt caps. The main reason I wanted the SMPS500R was because of the size. It is about 4"x4" , so now a reasonably sized 5 or 7 channel Class D audio amp is possible. Cristi the owner of connexelectronics is very helpful and makes a great product. Highly recommend :thumb:

ok, so with this Smps supply, I assume you don't need a regular power transformer? if that be the case, then this would be a whole lot lighter and maybe a thinner chassis (top to bottom)

Ray

guest1632

« Reply #2028 on: 19 Sep 2010, 06:40 am »
I have been searching for an SMPS for the Class D audio amps for a while and finally found one.  http://connexelectronic.com/product_info.php/products_id/118?osCsid=b0fbhen2sto5c1euaf4vrp4h02

Hooked it up to my CDA-254 and it sounds amazing. Even better than my modded linear power supply with 6x6800uf 63volt caps. The main reason I wanted the SMPS500R was because of the size. It is about 4"x4" , so now a reasonably sized 5 or 7 channel Class D audio amp is possible. Cristi the owner of connexelectronics is very helpful and makes a great product. Highly recommend :thumb:

Hi again,

Hmmm, looked on the site on the SMPS supply, adjusting the voltage Plus/Minus 10% that would make it about just under 50V. That's if my calcs are right. So you used one supply for the one board?

Since I can't see either modules, on the SMPS, did you just solder to tabs, or just to the board? Are they clearly labeled as to what is what?

Thanks.

Ray

guest1632

« Reply #2029 on: 19 Sep 2010, 06:59 am »
raindance, looking forward to your info on grounding.

OK I've got another WOW experience to report. last night I spent the evening setting up a pair of Acoustat 1+1's in my living room, running full range bringing a sub in to match. I spent a lot of the time dialing in the sub and room mode notch, got it sorted out pretty good, with a known decent amp. This morning I stuck the SDS-4 in and jaysus I never heard 1+1's sound like this. That famous Acoustat coloration and the "too big to be a tweeter" sibilants - gone. I don't want to go all hyperbolic, but dang it's pretty close to perfect.

So combined with what I heard with the Final 1000i, I'm beginning to think the SDS-4 is *the* amp for stats. But of course I wonder if the other SDS boards are just as good with stats - or does the SDS-4 1 ohm stability have anything to do with it? Don't know, but curious.

The 60 Hz is not as bad in this room for whatever reason, but I have some ideas about the chassis wiring routing I will try soon. And whenever I have my laptop plugged into the wall I hear "crickets chirping" in the speakers, but not when running on battery, in all three rooms I've had the class D in so far. What's up with that?

A SDS4? Hmmm, didn't see it on the website. I went up there to look and didn't see it on the new arrival stuff. He's still showing the SDS254 board.

How much was the board? Did you bbuy this as a kit with Transformer and PS?

Ray

starkiller

« Reply #2030 on: 23 Sep 2010, 09:16 pm »
Hi

Was just wondering if anyone knows if Tom gets on Audio Circle at all or has a phone.  Mailed him my amp so he could check out the "pop" sound and he got it on monday and he emailed and said he would try and look at it that night.  no other emails and no replies to my emails during the week.  just would like a headsup on what's going on, if he's gotten to it etc.....

I guess I would call it "hand-holding" :D

wushuliu

« Reply #2031 on: 23 Sep 2010, 09:32 pm »
Hi

Was just wondering if anyone knows if Tom gets on Audio Circle at all or has a phone.  Mailed him my amp so he could check out the "pop" sound and he got it on monday and he emailed and said he would try and look at it that night.  no other emails and no replies to my emails during the week.  just would like a headsup on what's going on, if he's gotten to it etc.....

I guess I would call it "hand-holding" :D

I don't think he montors these threads much if at all. He's usually very responsive, even after midnight (PT), so I would say shoot another email. I'm sure he'll come through.

starkiller

« Reply #2032 on: 23 Sep 2010, 09:41 pm »
Well, I've sent 3 and I don't want to bother him, on the other hand it would be nice to have an update :)

wushuliu

« Reply #2033 on: 23 Sep 2010, 10:24 pm »
Well, I've sent 3 and I don't want to bother him, on the other hand it would be nice to have an update :)

Give him some time. There have been no complaints about lack of communication as far as I know and a week turnaround for repairs sounds about right. He's a one man operation...

starkiller

« Reply #2034 on: 23 Sep 2010, 10:48 pm »
Ah, one man operation...I was not aware of that!  I figured with how nice his website was and the number of products offered that it was him and some staff.

okey doke, I shall be patient...hopefully....:)

starkiller

« Reply #2035 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:15 am »
Tom got in touch with me so all is well, i have to have another power added to the already present one, the power supply that the seller installed is adding in the "pop" sound i keep hearing on start up so need to have one switch for the amp and one switch for the power supply...funky, but i guess the cheapest way out....

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #2036 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:57 pm »
So... your amp is not set up with the standard kit parts and wired per manual?

I don't recall reading this complaint before.  :scratch:

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #2037 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:36 pm »
I thought I remember that avatar. Alan bought this amp from Martin. It had caught my attention, but the TI amp board hadn't been getting the rave reviews that the other modules had. The switching power supply also made me a bit leery.

That's quite a testament to Tom's customer service that he's willing to look at an amplifier that was not sold directly by him and that was assembled using parts that were not part of his kit.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #2038 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:56 pm »
That's quite a testament to Tom's customer service that he's willing to look at an amplifier that was not sold directly by him and that was assembled using parts that were not part of his kit.

I agree 100%.  :thumb:  Tom knows how to build more than just amps!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2039 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:59 pm »
Where are the pictures of the amps that some of you bought cases for? 

Let's see them!!!