Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1921 on: 6 Sep 2010, 02:26 am »
Sale? You mean the break for 50 quantity?  :lol:

PM Sent about the sale...

hottuner

« Reply #1922 on: 6 Sep 2010, 02:53 am »
PM Sent about the sale...

Jason wasn't kidding about the sale - 150 clams, I snapped up another one! sweet!

kingnubian

« Reply #1923 on: 6 Sep 2010, 02:58 am »
Just got my SDS-254 (2ohm version) hooked up for a quick test. It's been a while already and I'm still "Quick Testing". :-)
I pulled out my dusty & trusty HK HD7500 cd player which fortunately has a variable out so no preamp needed...................for now my B1 build is coming.

It looks pretty hacked together right now but it's not going to stay like that for long.

I'm desperately looking for preferably someone local (Montreal) to drill & mill the front /rear of my chassis. I'm Looking hard at HiFi2000 case but at 30 Euro's per panel for customizations I need to find an alternative.

The SDS-254 is going to replace a Mission Cyrus 1 (2nd or 3rd gen designed & built in the U.K. not the newer ones built anywhere but the U.K.). I love that Cyrus Integrated (Now in the shop) but the SDS-254 off the bat grabbed my attention with it's clarity even if it is being fed by an old HK cd player. Very impressive!

Seems the hardest thing to nail down with my build is going to be the chassis...............

[Update 16h later]
Music to many is that flow of notes & sounds but equally important is the Silence in between. This is one silent amp & that combined with it's speed really highlights the all important silence between notes & sounds.
I'm presently listening to some Marcus Johnson & really loving it.
More to come!
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2010, 09:37 pm by kingnubian »

avionic

« Reply #1924 on: 6 Sep 2010, 09:11 pm »
 I have been searching for an SMPS for the Class D audio amps for a while and finally found one.  http://connexelectronic.com/product_info.php/products_id/118?osCsid=b0fbhen2sto5c1euaf4vrp4h02

Hooked it up to my CDA-254 and it sounds amazing. Even better than my modded linear power supply with 6x6800uf 63volt caps. The main reason I wanted the SMPS500R was because of the size. It is about 4"x4" , so now a reasonably sized 5 or 7 channel Class D audio amp is possible. Cristi the owner of connexelectronics is very helpful and makes a great product. Highly recommend :thumb:

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #1925 on: 7 Sep 2010, 12:17 am »
OK, so I followed avionic's link for a power-supply, and surfing around that site came across this...

Class-D Amplifier Module 300w x 2 into 8 Ohms $85.99

and also this...

Class D Power Audio Amplifier Module, scaleable from 2x50W up to 2x500W for $88.88 +/- depending on wattage.

Anyone heard either of them?

avionic

« Reply #1926 on: 7 Sep 2010, 01:06 am »
  The DA-1 is discussed in the class d forum as is the irs amplifier here:    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/connexelectronic/
   The IRS amplifier is very similar to the Class D Audio amp I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't have any experience with either.

hottuner

« Reply #1927 on: 7 Sep 2010, 11:53 am »
I have been searching for an SMPS for the Class D audio amps for a while and finally found one.  http://connexelectronic.com/product_info.php/products_id/118?osCsid=b0fbhen2sto5c1euaf4vrp4h02

Hooked it up to my CDA-254 and it sounds amazing. Even better than my modded linear power supply with 6x6800uf 63volt caps. The main reason I wanted the SMPS500R was because of the size. It is about 4"x4" , so now a reasonably sized 5 or 7 channel Class D audio amp is possible. Cristi the owner of connexelectronics is very helpful and makes a great product. Highly recommend :thumb:

That is a good looking board.

I read on one of these threads (somewhere) that Tom's 12 v switching supply will only work with CDA-254, but I don't understand why that would be the case. The SMPS500R will work with any of Tom's amp boards?

Barry_NJ

« Reply #1928 on: 7 Sep 2010, 12:27 pm »
  The DA-1 is discussed in the class d forum as is the irs amplifier here:    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/connexelectronic/
   The IRS amplifier is very similar to the Class D Audio amp I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't have any experience with either.

Well, I read all 8 pages of that thread last night, and while there was much talk about dealing with one little issue or another, there was little to no discussion about the sound quality of the amp. So...

OK, so I followed avionic's link for a power-supply, and surfing around that site came across this...

Class-D Amplifier Module 300w x 2 into 8 Ohms $85.99

and also this...

Class D Power Audio Amplifier Module, scaleable from 2x50W up to 2x500W for $88.88 +/- depending on wattage.

Anyone heard either of them?

boomer68

« Reply #1929 on: 7 Sep 2010, 09:08 pm »
Just got my SDS-254 (2ohm version) hooked up for a quick test. It's been a while already and I'm still "Quick Testing". :-)
I pulled out my dusty & trusty HK HD7500 cd player which fortunately has a variable out so no preamp needed...................for now my B1 build is coming.

It looks pretty hacked together right now but it's not going to stay like that for long.

I'm desperately looking for preferably someone local (Montreal) to drill & mill the front /rear of my chassis. I'm Looking hard at HiFi2000 case but at 30 Euro's per panel for customizations I need to find an alternative.

The SDS-254 is going to replace a Mission Cyrus 1 (2nd or 3rd gen designed & built in the U.K. not the newer ones built anywhere but the U.K.). I love that Cyrus Integrated (Now in the shop) but the SDS-254 off the bat grabbed my attention with it's clarity even if it is being fed by an old HK cd player. Very impressive!

Seems the hardest thing to nail down with my build is going to be the chassis...............

[Update 16h later]
Music to many is that flow of notes & sounds but equally important is the Silence in between. This is one silent amp & that combined with it's speed really highlights the all important silence between notes & sounds.
I'm presently listening to some Marcus Johnson & really loving it.
More to come!

Is that a laptop ac adapter that you are using for the power supply?

Barry_NJ

« Reply #1930 on: 7 Sep 2010, 09:23 pm »

I think the Laptop PS and Amp are both plugged into the same AC off to the left of the image ;)

starkiller

« Reply #1931 on: 7 Sep 2010, 10:33 pm »
Hooked up the new to me Class D amp and was wondering if folks are using any kind of power conditioner with these.  the amp sounds great but, it is located in the garage that has only one power outlet and when the mini fridge turns on and off there is a loud "pop" from both speakers when the system is playing.  the fridge is plugged into the top outlet and the power strip to the bottom outlet...thoughts??

Nick77

« Reply #1932 on: 7 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm »
Mine is plugged into a conditioner.  :wink:

mhr

« Reply #1933 on: 8 Sep 2010, 01:55 am »
Hi All,

I have had the SDS258 in my system for awhile and felt some observations were in order.

System components for reference are as follows:

Speakers - Custom GR Research MTM towers
Source - Logitech Squeezebox Receiver
DAC - W4S - DAC-2
Preamp - W4S - STP-SE
Amplifier - Class D Audio SDS258

I am presently using a toslink connection between the Squeezebox Receiver and DAC-2 and all line-level interconnects are single ended.

Initially the sound with this setup was rather mechanical and unmusical.

That all changed when the DAC-2 settings were changed from the factory defaults to the following:

IIR Bandwidth - 70k
Roll-Off Slope - Slow

With these settings, the whole system changed dramatically.

With respect to the SDS258, I can only say that the amp is smooth, accurate, and musical.

No listener fatigue to speak of - mind all that I have owned, and still own, some tube equipment.

In this system it is bargain and half.

Highly recommended.

kingnubian

« Reply #1934 on: 8 Sep 2010, 04:46 am »

The laptop adapter & amp power cord are plugged into the same place. In the pic it does look like the adapter is plugged into the amp but this isn't the case.

I am very interested in adding this protection/filtering board to the final build.
http://shop.41hz.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=697&catid=9

With respect to my choice of chassis I came across these:

http://hifi4sale.fullboards.com/audio-video-equipment-for-sale-f1/diy-hifi-chassis-casing-new-t8587.htm

I'm interested in the A28A (Amp & Preamp) or a combination of A28A (Amp) and AV21 (Preamp). Has anyone had any dealings with this retailer?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #1935 on: 8 Sep 2010, 11:13 pm »
Hooked up the new to me Class D amp and was wondering if folks are using any kind of power conditioner with these.  the amp sounds great but, it is located in the garage that has only one power outlet and when the mini fridge turns on and off there is a loud "pop" from both speakers when the system is playing.  the fridge is plugged into the top outlet and the power strip to the bottom outlet...thoughts??

What kind of power strip?  Is it one of those cheap computer ones? 

starkiller

« Reply #1936 on: 8 Sep 2010, 11:39 pm »
Nope, heavy duty one...an update, the amp pops through the speakers when not connected to preamp, also swapped out IEC cords, and plugged the unit straight into the wall...no change...all pops  :(

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #1937 on: 9 Sep 2010, 12:43 am »
Is the outlet properly grounded?  Maybe the fridge is poorly designed.

starkiller

« Reply #1938 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:48 am »
none of the other equipment pops when turning on....

Barry_NJ

« Reply #1939 on: 9 Sep 2010, 03:57 am »
Here's a few general, but related questions...

How did you go about buying your Class-D Audio amplifier?
Did you just go to the web-site, load your cart and check-out?
Or was there an email or telephone exchange before you decided which amp to purchase?