DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speakers

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speakers
« on: 27 Sep 2019, 04:37 pm »
Well mercy, these are some good overall sounding bookshelf speakers -- and are being cleared out for around $80 from a good seller on Ebay who bought the stock from Mitek. They use to list for $349 and last sold for $249 from Mitek. They are not cheaply built -- they have a 1 inch front baffle, good crossover, and corner braced. ... while not dead neutral flat, the imaging is really good with a front and wide soundstage -- and they have some nice/decent controlled bass. The mids are detailed, and while the tweeter lacks a little air, it is an overall nice one. I think they were designed by Dan Roemer of XTZ speakers.

charmerci

Re: DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2019, 05:26 pm »
Grrrr... I'm trying to save money. Thanks a lot.

I'll probably order them today...  :roll:

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2019, 09:11 pm »
Grrrr... I'm trying to save money. Thanks a lot.
I'll probably order them today...  :roll:
Better than spending $250+ ..... they are not doing bad, they have sold 75 pairs so far.

jmc207

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2019, 11:02 pm »
Total sold is now up to 76. Buying for a friend.  :-)

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2019, 11:05 pm »
Cool

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2019, 04:40 am »
Total sold is now up to 76. Buying for a friend.  :)
Now up to 77.....

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2019, 05:38 am »
It would be hard to believe that anyone could beat these for $80 new.

Initial listening suggests that mediocre to bad recordings should be listened to at low to moderate levels but great recordings can be listened to at much higher levels.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2019, 01:56 pm »
It would be hard to believe that anyone could beat these for $80 new.

Initial listening suggests that mediocre to bad recordings should be listened to at low to moderate levels but great recordings can be listened to at much higher levels.
Bingo! ... a good speaker with some nice resolution should reveal poor recordings

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2019, 04:18 pm »
Bingo! ... a good speaker with some nice resolution should reveal poor recordings

Well..... I listened a bit more last night and thought more about it.

Frankly, the cabinet is by far its weak point. Listening even at moderate volumes (60-ish db), you can feel the cabinet vibrating!  :o  Yuck. So when turned up loudly, one can more easily hear (I think about) it's 80-120 Hz resonance. This thing needs some serious cabinet dampening/bracing.

It's secondary weakness, I think is the cheap, plastic faceplate (waveguide?). It too should be damped on the back.

I think by doing those two things should vastly improve these speakers. I will most likely be doing this in the next week or two.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2019, 04:54 am »
I went and put 3 horizontal dowels and a vertical one - on one as I accidentally cut one too short. I also, wrapped the port with non-drying clay and also put some on the metal spider baskets of the woofers.

These cabinets transmit so much energy despite being almost an inch thick! Most of that approximate 120 Hz resonance that I heard is gone. Though as I can still feel some vibrations coming off the cabinets at louder levels, I can still hear the resonance a bit at higher listening levels. These puppies do have a lot of bass but despite those thick walls, I question its material. I can even feel more vibration coming from the cabinet that doesn't have the vertical brace!

Also, interestingly, the high frequencies seem far more forward than before, which unfortunately, I don't prefer. They're good but not great tweeters - but at $80, who's complaining? (Except me.....)

I highly recommend that you dampen - or better yet, replace - these cruddy cabinets.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2019, 05:00 am »
The cabinets are fine for me -- the bass is fine for me -- even the mids and highs are fine for me. And even Dennis Murphy likes the speaker and the tweeter. As in all things audio, there is no guarantee that everyone will like a certain speaker.

Tcaster

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2019, 05:29 am »
 I bought a pair of these, should be here early next week. I couldn’t decide between these and the bigger TFE60s.
When the seller saw that I had saved the listing they used that popular auction feature and sent me an offer on the TFE60s for even more of a discount.
I couldn’t refuse  :thumb:
Good thing I have a few extra amps that need companions. :lol:
I think the TFE60s use the same drivers as the TP160 right?
Also  I read that the TFE cabinet is internally braced.Should be fun to compare them.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2019, 04:31 pm »
I bought a pair of these, should be here early next week. I couldn’t decide between these and the bigger TFE60s.
When the seller saw that I had saved the listing they used that popular auction feature and sent me an offer on the TFE60s for even more of a discount.
I couldn’t refuse  :thumb:
Good thing I have a few extra amps that need companions. :lol:
I think the TFE60s use the same drivers as the TP160 right?
Also  I read that the TFE cabinet is internally braced.Should be fun to compare them.
Same type tweeter, but a little bigger on the TFE60 -- same type woofer, but not sure if they modded it some, plus, the TFE 60 should have a somewhat more complex crossover. The TFE 60 will have more bass depth and should have a bigger soundstage. I am also really thinking about buying the TFE60 to compare

Tcaster

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2019, 06:40 pm »
If both models  of these speakers  are at all decent it’s quite a bargain as free shipping alone on those big ones makes them almost free.
There are used deals on high end  around sure,  but when you live in the boondocks like me, traveling  to check things out is prohibitive so free shipping and documentation  is part of the equation.
I gratefully rely on reviews and heads up opportunities  by all you enthusiastic and knowledgeable folks.
And,it keeps me learning about how things are designed as well.
If......they are reasonable quality I’ll be thrilled!

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2019, 09:44 pm »
If both models  of these speakers  are at all decent it’s quite a bargain as free shipping alone on those big ones makes them almost free.
they are reasonable quality I’ll be thrilled!
Well the TFE60 bookshelf speakers weigh 21 lbs each, so 42 lbs for the pair. The good prices is because of a buy-out from DCM. They are some real nice sounding speakers, and is rare to find something like the speakers at the really good price with free shipping ... let the forum know what you think of them after listening and spending a little time with them.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2019, 08:33 pm »
These things are moving -- 126 sets of the TP160S speakers have been sold so far

otto802

« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2019, 12:55 pm »
I've got friend looking to get into a decent entry level system. The TP160 looks like a great value at $80 for the set, but is the TFE60 really that much better at $230 for the set? Both look like they are using 6.5 inch drivers, but the TFE60 has a bigger cabinet. At $230 its getting close to the ELAC Debut 2.0 6.5, which seems like a safer bet- at least I have heard those.

Its so hard to advise friends on how to spend their money! Trying to get him a set up that I wouldn't mind listening to for the least amount of money!

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2019, 02:59 pm »
I've got friend looking to get into a decent entry level system. The TP160 looks like a great value at $80 for the set, but is the TFE60 really that much better at $230 for the set? Both look like they are using 6.5 inch drivers, but the TFE60 has a bigger cabinet. At $230 its getting close to the ELAC Debut 2.0 6.5, which seems like a safer bet- at least I have heard those.

Its so hard to advise friends on how to spend their money! Trying to get him a set up that I wouldn't mind listening to for the least amount of money!
Yes the TFE60 is a step up and worth more than $230 for me, they throw a more realistic dimensional soundstage, with better definition and imaging and the sound is transparent. And yes, the bass is deeper and more extended They can compete with more expensive speakers out there.

jmc207

« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2019, 07:14 pm »
zieglj01,

Thanks so much for posting about the TP160s. I was originally buying them for a friend but I may keep this pair. They are working out very well in my nearfield computer setup powered by an Outlaw Audio RR2150 integrated amp and Grace Design SDAC source. Despite being rear ported and the backs of the speakers about 7-8" off the rear wall, bass is very good and punchy, only occasionally overdone. Mids are warm but clear. Highs are detailed enough but not overbearing with bad sources. Not nearly as detailed or large sounding as the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Sigs I've been using but the TP160s have more bass and maybe are more relaxed. Probably the best $80 I ever spent on any type of audio gear. I'd probably still have a similar response if I had paid >$250 for them.

With my current setup, the bass is a bit on the overdone side with this song. (Low in volume. Remember to lower volume when you go to your next source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2w17gZGDQk

Though, a bit better with this one, whatever it is? Just showed up in my YouTube feed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5qogyTJag

Thx, John

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2019, 08:43 pm »
zieglj01,

Thanks so much for posting about the TP160s. I was originally buying them for a friend but I may keep this pair. They are working out very well in my nearfield computer setup powered by an Outlaw Audio RR2150 integrated amp and Grace Design SDAC source.
Continue to enjoy the audio adventure -- good report