Visaton b200 driver advice.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Visaton b200 driver advice.
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2018, 10:40 pm »
The box that Visaton recommend for the B200 is 100L sealed.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2018, 10:45 pm »
[d]
« Last Edit: 18 May 2018, 12:04 am by opnly bafld »

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2018, 11:29 pm »
The box that Visaton recommend for the B200 is 100L sealed.

Sims suggest 200 litre would be better.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2018, 11:44 pm »
Sims suggest 200 litre would be better.

dave
It would be nice. When I was a new member I emailed Visaton, a tech fast reply me informing the B200 not suited to BR boxes.

Maybe the OP should try the B200 in OB starting at 120Hz since it already have the drive.

goodguys

« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2018, 05:14 am »
Can you tell me anything about enabled visaton b200. Can't find much about it. It is worth doing. Is this something i can do myself.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2018, 05:24 am »
Can you tell me anything about enabled visaton b200. Can't find much about it. It is worth doing. Is this something i can do myself.
Talk to Planet 10 about it :thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2018, 05:36 am »
EnABL is a process developed by Bud Purvine (and patented, now expired). He freely made the tech available to all. One can learn the basics in Posts 13-17 in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/119676-enabl-listening-impressions-techniques-2.html. You will also need to search for Bud describing the tap test used to figure out where to place the ringsets on the cone. Generic patterns are available.

What this won’t give you is the experience (or great natural skill) to not make a real mess of it on at least the first few drivers.

EnABL is a very contoversial subject. Many saying that it can’t possibly do the things claimed (almost exclusively by people who have never lived with an EnABLed loudspeaker) and there are those who can’t live without. I am one of those. I have been able to quickly pick out the EnABLed speaker in a blind test (if i get to choose the audion tracks)*.

No one really knows how it works. There are measurements that give some support for its effectiveness, but it depends on how you assume a measurement should look.

*i find that an EnABLed speaker has greater DDR (the ability to reproduce small details). That means voice & instrument sound more realistic, and (if on the source) a more fully formed 3D image/soundstage. Listening for that is how i cheat the test, just listened for the wall behind the loudspeakers to disappear and the image to form in 3D. When i 1st auditioned an EnABLed loudspeaker it took me an afternoon to figure out what to listen for to perceive a distance. At the time i described it with this analogy” imagine flying over a valley and looking down. With a normal loudspeaker it is like there is a bit of fog hugging the valley floor, with EnABL that fog has burned off any things are more clearly visible.

For more information email me or visit my website.

dave

goodguys

« Reply #27 on: 19 May 2018, 07:29 am »
Thanks!

If i want to purchase a drive unit roughly which kind of manufacturers should i be looking at. I am puzzled. When i look at a drive unit i see a paper cone, which probably cost a few bucks, followed by a voice coil, which probably cost a few bucks, followed by a magnet, which probably cost a few bucks, yet these people are charging hundreds of dollars for something which probably cost a few bucks to manufacture. I mean manufacturers like fostex, tangband etc
What should i do? Who sells drivers at a reasonable rate so i do not end up throwing away my hard earned bucks paying for some esoteric brand name.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 19 May 2018, 07:44 am »
Thanks!

If i want to purchase a drive unit roughly which kind of manufacturers should i be looking at. I am puzzled. When i look at a drive unit i see a paper cone, which probably cost a few bucks, followed by a voice coil, which probably cost a few bucks, followed by a magnet, which probably cost a few bucks, yet these people are charging hundreds of dollars for something which probably cost a few bucks to manufacture. I mean manufacturers like fostex, tangband etc
What should i do? Who sells drivers at a reasonable rate so i do not end up throwing away my hard earned bucks paying for some esoteric brand name.
If you like headphones or the small soundstage dont bother you, you could try a planar as HE400 or 560:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109690.msg1687041#new
$349 are astonishing value for an HE560.

Otherwise the Classic10CF is $298 per pair.
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an10classicspecs.jpg

Here prices start at $98/pair
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #29 on: 19 May 2018, 08:00 am »
An Classic10CF

Had a pair of those thru here. Was not impressed.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 19 May 2018, 08:35 am »
Had a pair of those thru here. Was not impressed.

dave
This driver was positively tested here but he removed the review ad post a smaller :scratch:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/audionirvana.html
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 09:48 am by FullRangeMan »

goodguys

« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2018, 07:09 am »
What do you think of the mark audio alpair series in open baffle, how would they compare against visaton b200, or any opinions at all will be appreciated.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2018, 07:31 am »
The Mark Audio sound good, and work well on an OB with a helper woofer.

The B200 is one of the few quality 8” that can produce its own bass.

Dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2018, 07:45 am »
Years ago Paul Hynes made an OBLA entirely of B200s.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2018, 01:01 pm »
A few years back I had Bud Purvine himself EnABL my well worn Fostex F200A drivers (not your typical 8 inch diameter extended range driver - 30-20,000Hz, 89 dB/w/m, 8 ohms, damn heavy AlNiCo magnet, no whizzer cone, produced a nicely detailed, full bodied sound, $575 each when last available).  Bud called them, once EnABL'd, one of the best drivers in the world.  With my fully broken in drivers he found that they benefitted from an additional of dashes.  14 years later I still use them daily in Martin King inspired transmission line floor-standing cabinets designed/built by Bob Brines. 

I felt that the EnABLing added mid/high frequency detail, improved imaging, expanded the soundstage, and perhaps added high frequency response.  Well worth the investment.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2018, 09:28 pm »
Investment? How much it costed?
Any photo from the enabl?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2018, 11:17 pm »
Investment? How much it costed?

Everything that you need, except experience, is readily available for the diyer (information & help). To gain experience will take some time and some donor drivers.

If you want to bypass that and have me do them, email me i can quote a price. Shipping to & from Brazil is pricy so i’d suggest taking th ehobby up yourself. I’d love to see more than just me doing it commercially.

Dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2018, 11:35 pm »
Thanks Dave, I appreciated.
If you can PM me with some instructions on what hardware I need etc I have two pairs to be moded, Omega 7A and AN Classic10A.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #38 on: 22 May 2018, 11:16 pm »
I provided the links to the core information (reply #26). I believe that Bud outlines the required materials/tools*. Kits to do EnABL can be had from Ed. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/119852-enabl-kit.html

*(high solids train paint, clear gloss intended for coating and protecting decals on models, calligraphy nibs and holder (i use #56, A2/A3/A4/A5 nibs (2 & 3 for big drivers. I also used thinned PVA (specifically ModPodge) to pretreat paper cones, and ZIG 2=way glue to help deal with some resonance issues in some drivers).

A generic template for spot placement here:
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/Generic-EnABL-patterns-211217.pdf
earlier set: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/119852-enabl-kit-post1463353.html

Feel free to email me (no PMs please) if you have further questions.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2018, 11:34 pm »
Thanks Dave for these help, much appreciated.