Montreal audio show

Dave45

Montreal audio show
« on: 8 Apr 2004, 01:11 am »
I got to meet Louis in Montreal since I had to pick up a pair of ts-1 and I took advantage of the snowy afternoon to spend quite a bit of time in the Omega room. Louis mostly played his bpc speakers (in bipole mainly as it is what he prefers) with the minimax pre-amp and cd combo. Needless to say it was frightening sweet sounding. I wasn't sure it was a good idea to listen to all his speakers since I didn't wanna feel like I didn't choose the right ones...
At some point we even listened to the powerwave digital amp and it was quite impressive for a 90$ amp... of course the pre had something do do with the results but still... and then when we tried the powerwave with the analog rig (14 000$)!!! Hopefully Louis will post a few pictures...and give his impressions on the powerwave...

Louis told me about all the special care and modifications he performed on my ts-1 and I was pretty happy to hear about it. In fact Louis used a single port (same as Grande version) instead of 2, as well as new damping materials and techniques...

By the way I have to say that Louis is a nice guy and his work is first class and my ts-1 are no exception. The built quality is astonishing.   :)

Bwanagreg

Montreal audio show
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2004, 02:00 pm »
I'd be interested in more details about the mods Louis did on your TS-1's.

Louis O

Montreal audio show
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2004, 02:18 pm »
Hi Dave,

Many thanks for posting about the Montreal show and welcome to the forum. It was great meeting you in Montreal and I had such a great time there. Many thanks for the kind words. I would have to say this and VSAC were the my favorite shows. The people in Montreal were very nice and the city is beautiful, I wish I had more time to stay and enjoy it.

The show was great. They organized it extremely well and the turn out was amazing. I saw more people than at CES-The Show. The hotel rooms I thought were better than the other shows too. The walls were pretty solid and not much bleed through except some from across the hall (B&W-Classe) and all I had to do is shut the door when they played pretty loud. I heard no bleed through from my neighbor next to me (Verity Audio) and on the other side was a sleeping room. The room itself was pretty unusual with many angles on the walls (not a square or rectangle box) and I had set up the system in one corner. This placement worked out the best and the speakers are pretty easy to place so we got very good sound this way.

The only very expensive piece in the system was the Amazon Reference Turntable with Morch DP-6 and Allerts cartridge. I wish it were mine as it sounds amazing. Tom from Hudson Audio brought it as well as his excellent cables and Lehmann phonostages. The cabling in the system were all silver except for the speaker cables which were silver/copper hybrids. I will be posting all the cables on the website. Great sounding and very good prices.

The electronics were from Eastern Electric. Bill at Morningstar Audio shared the room with us and brought all three pieces. The 8 watt PP power amp, pre amp and CD payer with tube output. Great sounding and looking gear and the synergy was very very good. 6moons should have a report on them and the BPCs tommorrow.

The sub was from Creative Sound. It was the Clarus X10-200 and This sub sounds and looks like it should cost way more than $659. I highly recommend it and it mates extremely well with all the speakers. I used it on and off when I thought it was needed for large scale music etc.

The stands were from Skylan and to me the best value in speaker stands out there.

I set up the Powerwave and played it at night and after hours and it's crazy good for the price. At first it sounded a little congested, but after a little time and it's still not fully broken in, it's the real deal. I couln't believe the sound of this amp and when I hooked it up to the Eastern Pre amp and the Amazon it surpassed all my expectations. The synergy with the speakers is fantastic and I think ecost is going to get more orders for them. Now all I have to do is make it look better.

All in all I'm very happy I attended the Montreal show and I would do it again. The show was much better than I expected.

I will be posting the pictures and more very soon.

Hi Greg,

What I did to Dave's TS-1s is use the new damping and ports of the Grande speakers and the new cabling. I also installed a new damping pad on the rear wall which I make myself and it acts as a diffuser as well.
The mods really enhance the sound and the 3" port flows much better.

Please send me an e-mail.

Talk to you soon,
Louis