Small digital amp and Super 3Rs

djn

« on: 19 Aug 2004, 06:23 pm »
Hi All,  I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has used the little Sonic Impact Tri-path digital amp with the super 3Rs.  I got my 3Rs back in January and am running them on either side of my computer with a 300B amp.  The sound is unbelivable but the amp is rasing the temp in my little office by 11 degrees over the rest of the house.  I work at home so this is an all day thing.  I was thinking about buying the Sonic Impact but wanted to get a little feedback first.  Cheers.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-2427047-6976128?asin=B00009W44B

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2004, 08:16 pm »
I'm using a Sony digital receiver with the Super 3's, very happily.

I can imagine the tripath might sound even better (simpler, lower power).
The power range should be a good match, too.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2004, 03:32 pm »
I'm using a Powerwave (and soon a battery-powered Tripath eval board from Bolder cable) with TS-1s, and it is by far the best match I have experienced with these speakers. For the price you really have nothing to lose.  :D

rosypup

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2004, 07:44 pm »
Hi Dennis.  Welcome to this forum.

11 degrees is a bit much for good sound.

30 bucks for the digital amp!  I made bigger mistakes than that!!

Another option is I might have an available zen amp that I could sell cheap if you wanted to stay with tubes.  It only has four small tubes so it couldn't heat things up by more than a degree or two.

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2004, 12:54 pm »
Hi djn,

I would go for it too. I have the powerwave and like it a lot. Can't go wrong with the Sonic Impact.

Thanks again,
Louis

RoadTripper

Digital Plus Omega
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2004, 01:34 am »
I am driving my Omega Grande 8Rs with the JVC ES1SL which may or may not have a tripath chip in it. Whatever the guts of this digital amp are, the resulting synergy is extremely pleasurable.

djn

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2004, 05:17 pm »
Well, I took Rosepup up on his offer and bought the ZEN amp.  Wow, what a good sounding little amp.  The synergy between that and the Super 3Rs is just great.  And the bonous is that the 300B that I had on my desk top is now driving my Altec 1005B/288C horns on my A7 bottoms and I don't think I have heard a better sound amp ever drive those.  So in one fell swoop, I got two great sounding systems.  Thanks to John for the amps, I love them both.  Cheers.

rosypup

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2004, 12:31 pm »
I was surprised too at how good the zen amp sounds with the super 3's.

At the desktop, there is plenty of power.