Oppo UPD-203 Mods!

modwright

Re: Oppo UPD-203 Mods!
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2016, 11:39 pm »
Hi Ken and thanks!

The UDP-205 is the ONE that I am most interested in.  I believe, from what most have said, that the UDP-203 will be used largely as audio transport and video player via HDMI.  I agree that a drop-in LPS would be a good thing.

I was unsuccessful with this for the 103/105, but I have learned a few things since then.  We may be able to do this yet.  Heat is the biggest issue and I have a few ideas of how to address this.

Thanks,

Dan

dminches

« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2016, 12:24 am »
Dan, can you explain what the LPS would power and what it would replace in the stock unit?

modwright

« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2016, 12:53 am »
Hi, the UDP-203, presumably like the BDP-103, has a supply that provides 5V and +/-15V to the analog stage.  The 5V supply is HIGH current, because it supplies the video circuitry and all digital circuitry.  It is on the order of amperes, not mA.  As a result, if not done properly, in a linear power supply, will result in quite a bit of heat in wasted power.  These are raw voltages that are further regulated down to 3.3V for much of the digital and control circuits.  I believe the analog supplies may be regulated down to +/-12V.

Now this power feeds ALL video and digital circuitry, impacting DAC, HDMI processors, video processors, etc. As such, it SHOULD make a difference, to replace with a LPS.

The unit is fully enclosed, so the power supply (if linear), must have heat-sinks that conduct directly to the enclosure and reject heat right to the enclosure. SMPS - Switch-mode power supplies are very efficient and inexpensive, hence their use in most A/V players such as this.  Their downside is the amount of HF switching noise that they inject into the grounds and every other aspect of the player.  The SMPS's that Oppo uses are very well filtered, but it seems logical that if a LPS could achieve the same, it would be beneficial.

I will look at feasible options to address this, but no promises.  Others have done it and they are available, at least for the BDP-93 and BDP-103.

Thanks,

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2016, 01:31 am »
Now THIS is the player that we have been waiting for!  Those interested, please let us know, in order to get in on our early customer discount.  I will likely offer a tiered discount structure for the first ten customers, similar to what we did for the Marantz mods.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Dan

email sent!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #24 on: 21 Dec 2016, 01:35 am »
Now THIS is the player that we have been waiting for! Those interested, please let us know, in order to get in on our early customer discount.  I will likely offer a tiered discount structure for the first ten customers, similar to what we did for the Marantz mods.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Dan

:wave: :thumb:

Not quite sure what the heck I have to do, but this is the one that I am interested in. I'll keep a close eye on this one. Signed up on Oppo's site for notifications.

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 21 Dec 2016, 02:36 am »
I just received my 203 on Sunday and installed it yesterday.  Watched a few episodes of G.O.T. Season 6 on BluRay so far and it does produce really nice video.  In my case, it will be used 99% of the time for HT video, streaming services and related to a JVC movie projector.  If there is a modular, linear ps being considered as a drop in/plug and play ps that would improve overall performance, I would be interested in that. 

Thanks
Kenreau

My 203 will supposedly get here tomorrow.  I've seen stuff like this for the older models and not sure if it will work with the 203 - http://www.oppomod.com/

talk2me

« Reply #26 on: 21 Dec 2016, 04:44 am »
The Sonica DAC is of interest, but I don't know how many people JUST want a DAC.

Thanks,

Dan

Cough, cough :that would be me and my Elyse with modded 103. :xmas:

mav52

« Reply #27 on: 21 Dec 2016, 01:34 pm »
The 203 will have the latest Sabre DAC and my intent is for it to be a great player AND DAC via digital inputs for DSD, etc.  A one box solution for all is the plan!

Thanks,

Dan

Dan are you sure. The OPPO webpage shows "" The UDP-203 features a premium 32-bit DAC from AKM, the AK4458VN, which is an 8-channel DAC with support for formats such as 192 kHz / 32-bit PCM and multi-channel DSD.""  https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/

rbbert

« Reply #28 on: 21 Dec 2016, 01:36 pm »
Time for a UDP-205 mod new topic thread!

Phil A

« Reply #29 on: 21 Dec 2016, 02:59 pm »
Dan are you sure. The OPPO webpage shows "" The UDP-203 features a premium 32-bit DAC from AKM, the AK4458VN, which is an 8-channel DAC with support for formats such as 192 kHz / 32-bit PCM and multi-channel DSD.""  https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/

Yes - see posts 7 and 8

mav52

« Reply #30 on: 21 Dec 2016, 03:58 pm »
Yes - see posts 7 and 8

See what no coffee gets ya LOL

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2016, 04:03 pm »
See what no coffee gets ya LOL

I think you need a signature line that says ''please excuse the content in case I had no coffee" and that should cover it :green:

mav52

« Reply #32 on: 21 Dec 2016, 06:31 pm »
I think you need a signature line that says ''please excuse the content in case I had no coffee" and that should cover it :green:

That would surely take care of it.

modwright

« Reply #33 on: 21 Dec 2016, 07:10 pm »
Hi guys, coffee on board and here is to clarify a few things:

1) The UDP-203 is an interesting unit and I do see the potential for mods to it, specifically the power supply.
2) If there is interest in analog stage mods for this model, I am also willing to pursue it. Most people seem to use the 95/105/205 for audio use, which is why I have always offered mods for that. If you are interested in mods only for the 203, please let me know!
3) The UDP-203 does NOT use a SABRE DAC, it uses an AKM DAC - I misspoke. The AKM DACs have always been very good!
4) I am excited about the UDP-205 because the 95 and 105 have been huge successes for us and the 205 is the next in a long line of exceptional players from Oppo.
5) Yes, a new thread will be started now, for JUST the UDP 205.

Thanks guys!  :D

Dan

Phil A

« Reply #34 on: 22 Dec 2016, 05:55 am »
Here's a pic of the rear of the 103D vs. the 203 and also a close-up of the rear of the 203

The Rang

« Reply #35 on: 22 Dec 2016, 01:55 pm »
No stereo analog outs?

Phil A

« Reply #36 on: 22 Dec 2016, 02:26 pm »
No stereo analog outs?

The last few, including the 103 have not.  One has to move up to the "05" models for that.

Phil A

« Reply #37 on: 22 Dec 2016, 02:28 pm »
I was up into the middle of the night just playing with it.  I will say that the audio from just a few cuts was a tad smoother and more refined in my opinion vs. the 103 which was a bit shouty

undertow

« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2016, 03:56 pm »
From the early adopters I have read that the 203 is not quiet as good with 2 channel audio.. But who needs that these days :roll:

In any case it was built to a purpose. Be a 4k machine 1st and foremost with universal appeal, and be at a price point that makes most Videophiles happy.

Supposedly from the professional engineering standpoint the 103 had a higher current, low 5 volt power supply which was very solid for audio. I guess the 203 has a more run of the mill 12 volt supply used in most DVD players these days. However, the 103 and 105 also had the outboard wireless dongle. The new 203 actually can create some noise with the internal wifi... Again words from designers I was reading not mine.

The loss of video apps is slightly strange to me on the 203 honestly. You would figure they want to appeal to the universal crowd and keep the "Smart Chip" in there to compete with 80 dollar blue ray players as well, but I guess they figure a lot of people will just feed the HDMI back from the TV or use other units that have the smart apps on them I don't know?

Problem with this is not every HD TV even has an HDMI out to feed back to the OPPO in's HDMI to take advantage of the video and or audio processing power, most of the Smart TV's just have inputs so for others they will have to have a Roku or playstation etc... in order to run them I guess.

Just a warning for those looking at the new machine as it did add 4k but cut corners on a few other things in the universal audio/video realm if they are of any importance to you. Also, no mention if this unit even links up to the OPPO media app... It may have been dropped as well with the smart chip for netflix etc...

modwright

« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2016, 06:07 pm »
Thank you both for the photos and insight into this new player.

Indeed, it is built to a price-point and Oppo has always excelled in this.  The 205 will indeed cater to the audiophile, whereas the 203 is foremost appealing to the videophile.

Interesting about the higher voltage, lower current supply.  This MAY lend itself more easily to a LPS for improved video and audio performance.

The 2CH Audio is simply sourced from the FL/FR outs, like the 103.  This allows them to use a single DAC chip (multi-channel) for both Stereo and MCH output.

Dan