Shot in the Dark - Sudden Hearing Loss - Anyone Experience?

DEP14

So, it's a shot in the dark but I figured I would start here with others to whom hearing is part of their hobby (obviously it is important to everyone!)

Last Thursday as I went to bed I noticed my left hear felt plugged up and was ringing rather loudly.  I've had some ringing on and off over the years.  I've also had to have wax removed from that very ear so I wasn't in a panic.

But, it wasn't getting better and felt like it was getting worse early this week.  So I called the ENT I go to. They promptly found a way to see me this morning.  Hoped was wax, but they were worried as it was only one ear and it was sudden.

Wax - wasn't the issue. (I was pretty bummed out)

So they immediately had me do a hearing test (I had a baseline a few years back as I do listen loudly at times and I've been to a number of concerts, my hearing was slightly better than expected for a 45 year old to my surprise.)

Today however, I was a bit disheartened as my right ear is fine, but my left ear dropped off significantly with higher frequencies.  The PA (who is quite good and I trust), said the first line thearapy is that it is either nerve related if blood supply was bad for a little white, or a tube not working properly. In both cases the treatment is the same.

I can still hear words fine at normal levels, though it's a bit weird sounding, but listening to music is a strange experience right now. 

Course of action - Steroids for 9 days to start.  I work in med devices so I'm pretty adept at reading studies etc.  So I have my fingers crossed. 

I'm in my late 40's so this is a bit of bummer to say the least just having kids and all, but with audio being my hobby I'm even a bit more bummed.

I was told sometimes it just comes back spontaneously, sometimes over time etc... but that the next few weeks are pretty important.

I guess I'm just looking for anyone who may have experienced this before and maybe a positive outcome?  Thanks - DP

Wind Chaser

Re: Shot in the Dark - Sudden Hearing Loss - Anyone Experience?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2020, 08:53 pm »
Have you recently started taking any new medications?

DEP14

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2020, 09:04 pm »
Have you recently started taking any new medications?

Nope, same crestor I've been on since 33, naproxen as needed and flexeril on occasion.  Been using all for years.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2020, 09:24 pm »
...naproxen...

Bingo, that’s the one! I was proscribed Naproxen (can’t remember the dosage) on two separate occasions for extreme pain and both times my Tinnitus became much worse. And even though through sheer desperation I found a way to mitigate the internal noise to a large extent, the resulting hearing loss is permanent.

JDoyle

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2020, 09:28 pm »
Are they certain it’s not fluid? That happens to me as you describe every so often. It’s always gone away after a few days though.
I hope yours does too.

JD

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2020, 10:14 pm »
From what I understand, sometimes certain viral infections can cause hearing loss.  I found this - https://www.hearingloss.org/hearing-help/hearing-loss-basics/sudden-deafness/

DEP14

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2020, 12:29 am »
Bingo, that’s the one! I was proscribed Naproxen (can’t remember the dosage) on two separate occasions for extreme pain and both times my Tinnitus became much worse. And even though through sheer desperation I found a way to mitigate the internal noise to a large extent, the resulting hearing loss is permanent.

I've taken it for so long on and off and sometimes in high doses,  it would surprise me if it caused an issue now.  That said, I will be off it now while I'm on the steroid.  So, never know.

Mudslide

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2020, 03:30 am »
Have you experienced any vertigo or brief dizziness? 

Ace Deprave

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2020, 12:37 pm »
I've taken it for so long on and off and sometimes in high doses,  it would surprise me if it caused an issue now.  That said, I will be off it now while I'm on the steroid.  So, never know.

My wife suffers from tinnitus and was told by her allergist that it can be exacerbated by NSAIDs, so she only takes acetaminophen now for pain. It hasn't gotten any better, though.

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2020, 03:02 pm »
My wife had hearing loss in one ear. At the time she perceived it as sudden onset.
MRI showed an Acoustic Neuroma. You can read about ANs here:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/acoustic-neuroma-a-to-z

She had successful treatment at Staton Island University with Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy.

NOT saying you have this.
NOT trying to scare you.
Just want people to know that this type of slow-growing "brain" tumor (actually grows on the 8th cranial nerve, eventually pushing into the brain) and thus hearing loss in one ear should be taken seriously and thoroughly checked out.

Good luck to you.

And if anyone has an AN, feel free to ping me for our experience and opinion on the different treatments.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2020, 03:15 pm »
Do you talk on your cell phone through your left ear? Years ago I would experience temporary hearing loss after a long cell phone call. I had my phone up max as I was usually driving while talking. It was weird, as you say, to notice I wasn't hearing high frequencies through one ear. My hearing loss never lasted more than 12 hours or so.

Now, I only talk on cell with speaker on.

DEP14

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2020, 06:52 pm »
Oh yes, I've done the Dr. Google searches.  I do have a ENT I trust so that's good.  Course of action will be the steroids, and if that doesn't work - MRI.  Just was shooting to see if anyone else has gone through this with a positive outcome?  Thanks all, appreciate the replies.

Mudslide

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2020, 09:11 pm »
I assume that since you didn't answer my question about vertigo, that you have not had any.  That is good.  Sudden onset of hearing loss that you describe can also be caused by Meniere's Disease.  Your description fits the symptoms. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menieres-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20374910

This is an uncommon disease and not the first one to be checked by ENTs.  My wife has had Meniere's for years, now.  She has had episodic periods of vertigo with or without associated additional hearing loss (and vice versa).  She now is on her third set of hearing aids and has serious hearing loss. 

As an aside, I organized a large GTG in 2009 or 2010 (old age forgetfulness) where her hearing was still in surrender mode.  At the event, she auditioned, along with 50 other people, Jim Salk's first iteration of the SS12 loudspeakers.  She was brought to tears by her first enjoyment of 'actually hearing and appreciating' music in a decade.  I was too, when doing the Audioholics review.

So be very grateful that your ENT has not talked about that with you.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2020, 09:48 pm »
Did the ENT rule out a Cholesteatoma based on a visual inspection of the ear?

DEP14

« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2020, 03:29 am »
Fortunately no Vertigo, and nothing was obvious to them upon visual inspection. 

I'm 47... closer to 48 so hopeful that this goes away.  I did have a grandfather with menieres later in his life and real bad tinnitus.  So that is a slight concern.

SS12... hell of a speaker.  My favorite of Jim's designs. (though I think the Song 3 encore is an incredible speaker for the money, and the 9.5 is just oustanding).

Mudslide

« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2020, 05:18 am »
Fortunately no Vertigo, and nothing was obvious to them upon visual inspection. 

I'm 47... closer to 48 so hopeful that this goes away.  I did have a grandfather with menieres later in his life and real bad tinnitus.  So that is a slight concern.

SS12... hell of a speaker.  My favorite of Jim's designs. (though I think the Song 3 encore is an incredible speaker for the money, and the 9.5 is just oustanding).

Hahaa....yep, those are all great speakers!  One day .............

You are at the age when my wife's first symptoms started.  But Meniere's can attack at any age.  It can't be seen, by the way.  It's a neural necrosis in the inner ear. 

A baseline hearing test by an audiologist can get you started documenting any further experienced loss.

morganc

« Reply #17 on: 8 May 2020, 06:41 am »

Bingo.   Me too.  Naprosyn is poison.  Don't take it. 

ddps

• Salk SS 9.5 / McIntosh MA8900 / Auralic Altair
« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2020, 05:47 pm »
So, it's a shot in the dark but I figured I would start here with others to whom hearing is part of their hobby (obviously it is important to everyone!)

Last Thursday as I went to bed I noticed my left hear felt plugged up and was ringing rather loudly.  I've had some ringing on and off over the years.  I've also had to have wax removed from that very ear so I wasn't in a panic.

But, it wasn't getting better and felt like it was getting worse early this week.  So I called the ENT I go to. They promptly found a way to see me this morning.  Hoped was wax, but they were worried as it was only one ear and it was sudden.

Wax - wasn't the issue. (I was pretty bummed out)

So they immediately had me do a hearing test (I had a baseline a few years back as I do listen loudly at times and I've been to a number of concerts, my hearing was slightly better than expected for a 45 year old to my surprise.)

Today however, I was a bit disheartened as my right ear is fine, but my left ear dropped off significantly with higher frequencies.  The PA (who is quite good and I trust), said the first line thearapy is that it is either nerve related if blood supply was bad for a little white, or a tube not working properly. In both cases the treatment is the same.

I can still hear words fine at normal levels, though it's a bit weird sounding, but listening to music is a strange experience right now. 

Course of action - Steroids for 9 days to start.  I work in med devices so I'm pretty adept at reading studies etc.  So I have my fingers crossed. 

I'm in my late 40's so this is a bit of bummer to say the least just having kids and all, but with audio being my hobby I'm even a bit more bummed.

I was told sometimes it just comes back spontaneously, sometimes over time etc... but that the next few weeks are pretty important.

I guess I'm just looking for anyone who may have experienced this before and maybe a positive outcome?  Thanks - DP

I've had this happen before. It's called Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL). https://www.healthline.com/health/sensorineural-deafness

It's very scary, but if you get on the "slam pack" of Prednisone within 24 hours, the outcome is generally good. It can take a few weeks before things get back to normal.

In my case, I had been traveling, and they do sometimes suspect viral causes, so they gave me a course of Valtrex along with the Prednisone.

I have since learned that Vitamin E can be of assistance, so I do take 400IU of natural Vitamin E every day (https://acgrace.com/natural-vs-synthetic-vitamin-e/). I have not had a recurrence.

Drew

DEP14

« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2020, 05:55 pm »
Thanks Drew.

I waited 5 days, which hopefully doesn't hurt me long term.  That is exactly the diagnosis (SSHL) so far.  I'm on the slam pack, and stretching it 9 days. Thought it had improved a bit yesterday, but back this AM.  Been 8 days since it happened.  Just keeping my fingers crossed. 

Glad to know yours cleared up. A little bit of hope.