VPI HW-19 mklll feet and spring replacement.

mdelrossi

VPI HW-19 mklll feet and spring replacement.
« on: 19 Dec 2015, 01:02 pm »
Hello,
I have a VPI HW-19 mklll that I bought in the 80's.
I've always had a slight problem with the vibration coming from the motor that is attched to the plinth.
I now have a dedicated listening space and want to set it up properly.
 The springs and feet are original. Which of your products would help?
Thanks
mdr

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: VPI HW-19 mklll feet and spring replacement.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2015, 01:23 pm »
Hi, mdr. We have lots of customers using a Way Excellent II Turntable Mat with HW-19 tables. The HW-19 over the years has had several model variations. Our customers mostly use a 4mm mat with the Delrin and other platters and a 2mm mat with the acrylic platters. With HW-19 models having a spindle washer and clamp; most of our customers have found that you don't really need to use the clamp anymore; some like to use the clamp though--the Way Excellent II mat is fully compatible with a clamp, so it's strictly a matter of personal preference. As with Big Tall Tenderfoot isolation feet to replace both stock and Sorbothane "upgrade" suspension springs, they always get an excellent result with a Way Excellent Mat.

Big Tall Tenderfeet are used as upgrade replacement springs for many models of VPI, Thorens, AR and other turntables; with some, the Big Tall Tenderfeet need a height boost, and with others they do not. For a height boost, some of our customers use a hardwood or plywood square, some use Big Fat Dots. Just about any firm, non-squishy material can be used.

Herbie's Cone/Spike Puckies under the stock cone feet are also beneficial. If your unit has rubber feet, then four regular Tenderfoot isolation feet are a great upgrade replacement.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2015, 04:00 am by Herbie »

The Dill

Re: VPI HW-19 mklll feet and spring replacement.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2015, 04:11 pm »
I suggest you remove the springs and install (4) Big Tall Tenderfeet (soft). Also you might consider replacing the rubber threaded feet with cones or spikes. I just happen to have a set of cones for sale. Check out my ad on Audio Asylum for Michael Green Cones.