Thorens TD-125 MkII value?

btrain

Thorens TD-125 MkII value?
« on: 2 Jan 2014, 03:18 am »
I have an opportunity to buy a Thorens TD 125 MKII turntable. I hope to see the turntable this weekend. Assuming this is a working stock unit and no restoration/modification has taken place, what would be an acceptable price to offer?

Also, I am very new to the vinyl world and have had a Project Debut Carbon TT for roughly six months. I am certainly still a novice. Just wondering if the stock Thorens will outperform the entry level project TT?

wushuliu

Re: Thorens TD-125 MkII value?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2014, 06:36 am »
Depends on the condition. If it has not been restored I would say $400 based on ebay pricing but start lower. Thorens need TLC to get up to snuff. If the table has not been properly maintained then that means more work for you. And don't just take their word and let them just turn it on and let it spin. Look to see if there's fresh oil in the bearing well. Ask if the belt is new and original. Have them play a record. If they can't do that, get firm on your price. If they've *never* played anything on it through amp and speakers, haggle it down. Let them know you'll have to pay a lot to get it in top shape. These are complex machines.

You'd be surprised how many people try and sell tables by just turning them on and saying 'see, it works'. The less the seller knows about the table, the less you should be paying. These are old *and* complex machines. I highly recommend reading up on the 125 and knowing it's in and outs before meeting the seller, including searching things like 'Thorens 125 repair' so you get an idea of some of the common issues people run into. As a newbie the last thing you need is to throw good money after bad if the table turns out to have serious problems.

And I would *HIGHLY* recommend you ask this question at the Turntable forum at Audiokarma. AC is great, but the table forum at AK is probably the best vintage turntable forum out there. If you posted there you'd have a bunch of answers by now.

And yes it will stomp your Project into the ground.

rcag_ils

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2014, 03:24 pm »
Table this old is not worth it. The only useable parts are the platter, bearing, and chassis. Electronic is unreliable and no parts are available.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2014, 05:33 pm »
Table this old is not worth it. The only useable parts are the platter, bearing, and chassis. Electronic is unreliable and no parts are available.

I disagree. I have a TD125 MkII.  It works and sounds fine.
I found it on ebay for $125 + shipping. It arrived damaged; the circuit board was slightly chipped. I fixed it easily. It is a heavy and delicate TT so it must be packed carefully for shipping.

Go to: http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewforum.php?f=17

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2014, 11:20 am »
And you can always consult Dave at vinyl nirvana dot com.

Paul

rcag_ils

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2014, 09:39 pm »
You disagree? Maybe you can fix my Thorens 125MKII with a bad motor for free then.  Vinyl nirvana certainly doesn't have a motor for me.

bdp24

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2014, 06:54 am »
Be cautious buying a TD-125 MkII. Mine had an electronic problem straight out of the box, and three trips to the Warranty Service Shop didn't fix, or even find, the problem. Luckily, at about the same time, Linn was making their appearance with the Sondek in America.